Next MacBook update a yawner; Ultra-portable to get 13-inch display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 238
    syklee26syklee26 Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

13" + ultra-portable = oxymoron

Seriously, if that's what Apple equates to "ultra-portable", I'll just get another 15" Mac notebook. Guess I can keep hoping that they have an reasonably sized iTablet design to follow from the iPhone.

the focus of ultraportable is the WEIGHT, not just the size.

wouldn't you rather have 13'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs over 10'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs (like Sony T series)?
  • Reply 22 of 238
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

wouldn't you rather have 13'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs over 10'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs (like Sony T series)?

To me, an ultraportable is a computer you can use in Economy on the plane, on a bus or train, or half-sitting against a wall. It also needs very high resolution to make up for the loss in display area.

I have a 12" iBook... even losing a half inch in thickness and giving it a widescreen wouldn't make it small enough for me to call a compact computer.

The people that are begging for the sub-notebooks want something smaller-- as small as possible while remaining a fully functional machine. They are the only ones that will pay the necessary premium for such a device... not your college student market.

I really do hope Apple boosts the model ranges some... I don't even bring my 17" MBP home anymore-- do big and heavy for the bicycle.
  • Reply 23 of 238
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Yeah, a 2.5lb 13" ultraslim MacBook Thin at $1700+ would sell like hotcakes.
  • Reply 24 of 238
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Actually, the have the option to stay on the PC side and get them from HP. Sticking users with old tech in the Macbooks will help get extra money out of existing Mac users pockets, but it could seriously hamper its growth among switchers and notebooks is where Apple is getting the vast majority of its converts.

I had already decided to get a Santa Rosa MacBook but only if it included the new GPU and not the GMA 950. I guess my dream of switching back to Mac was just that, a dream.
  • Reply 25 of 238
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    The current macbook is TOO EXPENSIVE without santa rosa. They need to put SR in the MB or make it cheaper.

And the ultra-portable sounds like the macbook I want....but without an optical drive. lol.
  • Reply 26 of 238
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    sorry, to expand on my last post:

I'm actually angry at how little this meets my somewhat modest expectations. I figured the MB would get the new SR technology when it came out....i mean whats the point of inventing the chip if manufacturers won't use it. I hope people start buying dells and gateways this school year, just so apple gets the picture.
  • Reply 27 of 238
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I am ultra-skeptical about this ultra-portable Macintosh. Hmm.

Well if it's the real deal, I just hope they don't call it the Macbook Sub.
  • Reply 28 of 238
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

The current macbook is TOO EXPENSIVE without santa rosa. They need to put SR in the MB or make it cheaper.

And the ultra-portable sounds like the macbook I want....but without an optical drive. lol.

I don't believe that portion of the article at all. Santa Rosa doesn't appear to be more expensive than Napa. I just checked out the HP DV2500 model. Santa Rosa, X3100 graphics and new T7xxx core2 chips.

I don't know who provided the information but why would Apple attempt to deliver Napa product vs Santa Rose (which will win any graphics battle) for some silly differentiation. The differentiation between MB and MBP is discrete graphics and other step up features. Plus you have Robson options now as yet another differentiator.

MB is going to be Santa Rosa. Apple isn't stupid enough to try and sell a platform that's been replaced.
  • Reply 29 of 238
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

In my view, it would make sense for Apple to build "separation" between the MacBook Pro and MacBook lines. This would ensure that people who need the enhanced features will have no choice but to buy the MacBook Pro. It would be better for Apple's bottom line and it should reduce the number of people who have historically asked:

Should I get a MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Why do you want Apple to spite the consumer? That will only work against Apple. What else would you take out or add?

There already are huge differences - but generally sane ones, you know, like FireWire 800 and the [ducks] separate video card. None of those are necessary for the average, non-pro, non-nerd user.

But every user has eyes, and they might appreciate a bigger screen. That would put an end to the question "MB v. MBP." And they'd be, say, $400 less poor. Maybe they'd buy an iPod instead. Everybody wins!
  • Reply 30 of 238
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

The 10". I want a 10" not a 13". I actually fly on planes in economy class unlike haveing my own private jet.
  • Reply 31 of 238
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

MB is going to be Santa Rosa. Apple isn't stupid enough to try and sell a platform that's been replaced.

I hope you're right. I want Apple to succeed regardless of whether I switch or not. It is one of Microsoft's few true competitors. While it's great that Apple is diversifying into other markets I still want it to continue to be a player in the computer space. But if Apple doesn't want to offer computers "for the rest of us" then it should stop trying to convince us to switch without offering viable alternatives.
  • Reply 32 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

my guess Storage will be on Flash Memory 16GB

It may be sufficient capacity, but the severely increased cost, slightly smaller size,slightly lower weigh and energy savings aren't enough to warrant a complete move away from a 9.5mm 2.5" HDD. If anything, Apple would stick a 1.8" HDD—like in the 5G iPod— before it went to all Flash capacity on a notebook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This makes sense to me, a 13" screen is easily the smallest I'd ever go with a notebook again. Personally I think the 15.4" is the sweetspot, and the fact that we're now gone widescreen 12" would be non-productive IMO. The thinness and the weight reduction is what will make this thing a take anywhere notebook, not the small reduction of a couple of inches off the screen size, this makes sense. I was discussing this with a friend recently, we held up that tiny Sony (11" widescreen) and we both remarked (at the same time);"the screen is too small".

I agree, now that we've moved away from 4:3 ratio displays, smaller screens really don't work well for reading page. It's too bad though, I really loved my 12" PB.
  • Reply 33 of 238
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't believe that portion of the article at all.

Agreed. If they don't put SR in the MacBooks, they'll kill their back-to-school sales. College kids are smart enough to do a feature comparison and see that a Napa MacBook is inferior to other manufacturers' offerings. Waiting on LED backlighting makes sense, though. (Plus, I want to buy an SR MacBook SOON. )

As for the MacBook mini, sounds like a great contender for the longed for dock. 13", 16GB solid state drive - just enough to do some field work, take to class, or travel. And a nice dock with all the peripherals.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 34 of 238
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

How weak are some of you people? I take my 15" Powermac everywhere. I've never even thought about how much it weighs; it doesn't weigh very much. I have a nice slim case for it. Make me choose between a 12", 13" and 15" and I'll go for the 15 every time. They're all too big to be "ultra-portable", so I may as well pick the optimal size for my work.

What I want is something small, grab and go, good battery life (which hopefully will come with flash and LED backlighting), go out and do some fieldwork, preferably with some tablet capability, and/or that fits well in a small carry on bag for economy class.

A 13" "ultra-portable" is a joke, unless the screen actually folds in half somehow.
  • Reply 35 of 238
    psilopsilo Posts: 7member
    First of all, it just doesn't make sense that there'd be a Mac Book update sans Santa Rosa and LED... what else is there to update on that computer? This leads me to believe there will not be a Mac Book update until Apple is ready to do Santa Rosa or both.

Appleinsider claims then that the 13" LED displays are then headed for the sub notebook... I also must admit that is a much larger display than I would have thought the sub notebook would get, it could happen.

What I think makes the most sense and also hasn't been mentioned is the possibility of the 13" LED displays going to a 13" Mac Book Pro. This would make the MBP the first line to get LED which we all know has been confirmed, the MacBook can get the Santa Rosa update before the school season and keep the cheaper Cathode lit displays and the sub notebook is still so far from launch it almost seems silly to think we in the rumor community have already confirmed what screen it will use.
  • Reply 36 of 238
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

In what's sure to be a warmly received move, people familiar with initiative tell AppleInsider that the Mac maker plans to go easy on our eyesight and is building the model around stunning, ultra-thin, 13-inch LED backlit display.

My first thought: in what universe does Apple think that a 13" widescreen classifies as an "ultra-portable?"

My second thought: at least it'll be lighter than the Macbook.
  • Reply 37 of 238
    Quote:

You really don't understand the point of an ultra-portable computer, do you?

Edit: I would rather have a 13" notebook that weighs 2.5 lbs than a 13" notebook that weighs 5.2 lbs.
  • Reply 38 of 238
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

You really don't understand the point of an ultra-portable computer, do you?

ultra portable = minimal everything. weight, size, etc...
  • Reply 39 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

... I was discussing this with a friend recently, we held up that tiny Sony (11" widescreen) and we both remarked (at the same time);"the screen is too small".

You've spent too much time staring at your 20" iMac, and not enough time on trans-atlantic flights.
  • Reply 40 of 238
    At the least there will be an external optical drive, but I doubt that. I guarantee the ultra portable will have an optical drive. Cmon how else are you going to buy a new OS, via an SD CARD????? Pleeese.