Next MacBook update a yawner; Ultra-portable to get 13-inch display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 238
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I have no need for a portable, but if a lightweight model came out, I might get one anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 238
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't believe that portion of the article at all. Santa Rosa doesn't appear to be more expensive than Napa. I just checked out the HP DV2500 model. Santa Rosa, X3100 graphics and new T7xxx core2 chips.

I don't know who provided the information but why would Apple attempt to deliver Napa product vs Santa Rose (which will win any graphics battle) for some silly differentiation. The differentiation between MB and MBP is discrete graphics and other step up features. Plus you have Robson options now as yet another differentiator.

MB is going to be Santa Rosa. Apple isn't stupid enough to try and sell a platform that's been replaced.

i second that, there is NO reason not to upgrade MBs to SR, it is cheaper better in L2 Cache, Graphics. Its just a natural upgrade path nothing fanstastic but a Must. Otherwise everyone will say Apple using last batch of Cpus compared to Dell, IBM and HP.
  • Reply 63 of 238
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psilo View Post

What I think makes the most sense and also hasn't been mentioned is the possibility of the 13" LED displays going to a 13" Mac Book Pro. This would make the MBP the first line to get LED which we all know has been confirmed, the MacBook can get the Santa Rosa update before the school season and keep the cheaper Cathode lit displays and the sub notebook is still so far from launch it almost seems silly to think we in the rumor community have already confirmed what screen it will use.

My thoughts entirely.
  • Reply 64 of 238
    angevilangevil Posts: 12member
    16GB?? It should have AT LEAST 64GB! First you have to have, what- like 10-15GB for Leopard and Mac software like iLife. Then you need a few gigs for photos and few gigs for music. And what about a few gigs for video files? Who would buy a computer which can`t fit anything?
  • Reply 65 of 238
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think we haven't seen the true benefits of a scalable Mac OS yet.

I'm guessing that it's a sealed 13 tablet 'appliance' that won't run third party software. It will run iWork and iLife applications but nothing else. You'll be able to email and surf the net whilst you're out and about, but you won't be running CS3 on it.

All the apps and the OS will reside in silicon rather than on a platter. Think iPhone without the phone, and a reasonably sized screen that'll allow you to play around in spreadsheets etc.

It might even get a new name and not even be referred to as a Macintosh at all...
  • Reply 66 of 238
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Too many people with upgradeitis. It's fun to see what's coming up but man, some people do that as soon as they buy their current mac! It's not like the current macs are trash. And for those perpetually holding out: get what you want if you could use it and just enjoy it. There will ALWAYS be something new coming out so unless there is MAJOR overhaul around the corner just buy what you want and stop being so hung up on what's the newest thing out there.

The current macbook is very, very sweet. I love mine. Plan to keep it until the extended Apple Care warranty runs out. Being it's midcycle, the bugs are out. And it's great to get something that's not first run cause first run always has problems. I would not even consider being the first in line to get the new LED screens.
  • Reply 67 of 238
    Quote:

I'm guessing that it's a sealed 13 tablet 'appliance' that won't run third party software. It will run iWork and iLife applications but nothing else. You'll be able to email and surf the net whilst you're out and about, but you won't be running CS3 on it.

OK, I think this is really stupid. This new portable should have almost everything that other laptops have. I should be like a Macbook, but thinner, lighter, no optical disk, no HDD - but HHD. I think that the NAND flash memory isn`t enough for all data. LED of course.

There are a few ultra portable notebooks out there (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-6255737-1.html) and they are more similar to laptops than pocket PCs. What Messiah described is more like a pocket pc and you can`t do much on them, even if they have 13 inch screen and iLife. Oh come on, even old pocket pcs allow 3rd party software, and you say this product wouldn`t allow it? haha..very useful.
  • Reply 68 of 238
    The latest rumours of the mac update aren't all that exciting, but it is nice to hear a refresh of the set, line, and computers. Hopefully intel speeds up development for their next chip-set release and those can be out for the holiday season. Either way, Apple laptops are gaining speed both in the markets and in the front side bus.

Don't forget to call your mum!

ThunkDifferent.

• Reply 69 of 238
    sorry, i didn't read all the replies, but i am wondering how they will make the apple logo light up with the LED backlight screens?

and i still think an optical drive is needed for a laptop!!
  • Reply 70 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication View Post

sorry, i didn't read all the replies, but i am wondering how they will make the apple logo light up with the LED backlight screens?

and i still think an optical drive is needed for a laptop!!

I would be OK with the external optical drive included or with the bottom-loading optical drive. I don`t mind flipping the notebook to put a DVD inside once in a while.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/26/a...optical-drive/
  • Reply 71 of 238
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

MacBook Mini on its way,

my guess Storage will be on Flash Memory 16GB, with out support for Bootcamp and Vista dual booting. 16 GB is more than sufficient for lightweight travel note book with OS X.

The stock install of Tiger on MBP is about 30GB. If you take out iLife, iWork demo, photobooth, and a lot of the pre-installed third party software, remove built-in printer drivers, all the extra languages you don't need, you might hit 16GB. OS X wants another 15% free space, and that still leaves you with no space for files or apps of any value.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

To me, an ultraportable is a computer you can use in Economy on the plane, on a bus or train, or half-sitting against a wall. It also needs very high resolution to make up for the loss in display area.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The 10". I want a 10" not a 13". I actually fly on planes in economy class unlike haveing my own private jet.

I've used a 14" notebook in economy class several times without trouble.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiverDown View Post

At the least there will be an external optical drive, but I doubt that. I guarantee the ultra portable will have an optical drive. Cmon how else are you going to buy a new OS, via an SD CARD????? Pleeese.

If it's like Apple's first ultraportable, and several competing units, an external optical drive would be included. I am skeptical, I still would like an internal optical drive. Sony's TX does and it's still small and light.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i don't understand why you guys want an ultra portable so bad though, i mean, any lap top can fit on your lap, that's why it's called a laptop,

"laptop" is only an informal term.

I want an ultraportable because of the battery life and low heat signature. I've seen one models claim 12 hour battery life if you get the larger battery, and it is STILL not much more than 3lb.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

ThinkSecret seems to be disagreeing with AI's take on whether or not Santa Rosa will

Hope they're right. \

That would be nice, but in reality, I would bet against TS because I don't think they have been right about anything in the last two years. Most notably, they were stubborn about their prediction of Aperture's death, and when AI predicted the new Shuffle colors the next day, ThinkSecret predicted monitor updates for that day instead, colored Shuffles it was. Final Cut Extreme still doesn't exist, neither does the $10k Mac Pro, despite their assertion that they would be announced in April 2006.
  • Reply 72 of 238
    Lordy I'm glad I stopped playing the "wait to see what's coming" game. I'm loving my MBP, but really wanted a 12" MBP. I thought it will come, but it seems like it's not going to happen for a while.

^LOL@12 hour battery life. I'd love to see that link.
  • Reply 73 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As it stands, the MacBook remains the most rigorously-redesigned Mac system to break free from Apple's industrial design labs in recent years -- an accolade it will soon surrender to a pair of radically restructured 20- and 24-inch iMacs.

Has this gone unoticed in the thread?

BTW first post :P so happy
  • Reply 74 of 238
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

the focus of ultraportable is the WEIGHT, not just the size.

It's BOTH.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

wouldn't you rather have 13'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs over 10'' notebook that weighs in at 2.5lbs (like Sony T series)?

10" without a doubt. An ultraportable has to be small and robust. If they make a 2.5lb thin 13" I'd probably snap it or bend it and there's already a 13" MacBook anyway that isn't exactly heavy. If I'm away from my desktop then size matters as I've only got so much room in my bags.

Apart from that, ask any Japanese laptop buyer what they want and it's small size. That's what Apple needs to stop it's decline in Japan.

Personally, I'm still hankering after an OQO but AFAIK nobody has managed to get OSX on it yet.
  • Reply 75 of 238
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The stock install of Tiger on MBP is about 30GB. If you take out iLife, iWork demo, photobooth, and a lot of the pre-installed third party software, remove built-in printer drivers, all the extra languages you don't need, you might hit 16GB. OS X wants another 15% free space, and that still leaves you with no space for files or apps of any value.

More like 4GB actually. I was running it just fine on a 500Mhz iBook with a stock 10GB drive up until a few months ago when 80GB drives dropped enough in price to upgrade the iBook. I had OSX, iLife (minus iDVD, iWeb and Garageband), iWork (minus the huge demo videos), MS Office and a bunch of other stuff all on a 10GB drive with about 1GB spare. You just have to be careful which things to install and not load in the demos.

You can then gain back 500MB or so dumping foreign languages using Monoligual and dumping fonts and drivers.

A 32GB Flash drived OQO running OSX is my dream ultraportable. 13" screen? - ultra-meh!
  • Reply 76 of 238
    eyelesseyeless Posts: 28member
    If this is lighter than the old 12" and runs Windows in Parallels/VM Ware then I need to know no more before buying this! /Jerry
  • Reply 77 of 238
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

You're right. In the interest of making it as small as possible while still using a standard keyboard...with a very thin bezel, a 13" portable could be 1.5 inches smaller in each dimension than the MacBook. It would be roughly the size of the 12" PowerBook.

It'd have to be a very narrow bezel indeed. Does anyone make an LCD panel with a 1/8" bezel? I can't remember just how much clearance there was around my 12" PB panel when I disassembled it.
  • Reply 78 of 238
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It'd have to be a very narrow bezel indeed. Does anyone make an LCD panel with a 1/8" bezel? I can't remember just how much clearance there was around my 12" PB panel when I disassembled it.

I have no idea, but these new LED displays may not need much of a bezel around them. I've always thought the border around the MacBook screen was a bit too much. But I always guessed it was cheaper to make that way.
  • Reply 79 of 238
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I had a 15" Powerbook, then a 12" iBook. The 15" was far too big to use on some of the tiny desks of my school's auditoriums. It was far too big to use on a bus. It was far too big to use on an airplane (well, you could watch movies or something but the screen didn't fit open once you had it in your lap in a good position for typing). It didn't fit on the small tables on trains either.

Anyone who says 15" does it all has never tried to really use their laptops on the go for work. That, or they fly business class. I think 15" is about the upper limit even if your "mobile spaces" are on the large side.

Something like a 1.5kg 12" widescreen at 1280x800 (slightly smaller and lighter than the iBook) would be perfect for me. I'd prefer no optical drive (removing that goes pretty far on the way to 1.5kg), but I don't think Apple will come out with a computer without one built in. This would obviously have integrated graphics, but if it was Santa Rosa it would still be a decent upgrade from the iBook.
  • Reply 80 of 238
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I wonder if LED displays will need the stupid glossy surface to impress people. I hate glossy screens so I hope not. Hopefully LED technology will make the screens bright enough so gloss is not necessary.