Apple filing reveals multi-sided iPod with touch screen interface

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    speezzaspeezza Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maverick18x View Post

EXACTLY! Just grab your iPod for a second. Your one opposable thumb does all the work, the other four fingers just grip the thing. Now hold it the same way, but instead try to articulate your four fingers on the back... I find myself either gripping it with my thumb on the front or balancing the whole thing on my pinky finger. The only action I can do is a horizontal slide across the back, I definitely can't do any sort of click wheel motion.

I feel like this patent might just be blatant disinformation.

Have you ever thought the actual ipod interface is not so ergonomic ?

Each time you scroll the click wheel you grab the half bottom part of the ipod, givin it an unballanced grip, stressing you not to drop it.

This is specially true for the 5th gen with it's slim form factor, the device does not rest in your palm but at the tip of your fingers. Release you thumb and it falls.

Now turn your ipod upside down and use you index to control a click wheel or a touchpad at the bottom of the unit: -> firm grip, full view on the display, no stress, precision of the index finger.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    future ipods will most likely just be iphones without the phone/internet stuff.

this means no clickwheel, pure screen beautifulness and you'll scroll with just one finger as his steveness demoed on the show.

a stripped down iphone is the best new ipod.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    Someone tried to liken this to the Jobs complaint about MS stuffing too much into the Zune (Microsoft® TurdBrick) and then doing the same thing. No no no.

The patent filing also made mention of touch sensitive bezels and the like. This is brilliant! TurdBrick® is an also-ran. Add FM radio... ooooooooo. MS might begin to use this type of functionality (ala Windows) once the component prices drop and they've successfully re-engineered 40% of the functionality, but Apple is once again the mover and shaker.

$1M says the majority of interface design goes in this direction in the next two years.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    carlito2carlito2 Posts: 43member
    everybody thinks the new "ipod" will be like the iphone but why would it be like that......

Apple aren't going to distract from the iphone which is a new product line (hence why it's not ipod phone etc)

i think were looking at the 6th gen ipod here.

and if you think about holding your ipod instead of using your thumb you'll use you another finger.

and it'll be fine in case's and armbands as you don't look at the screen when it's in them.

i think it will be cool
  • Reply 45 of 49
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

everybody thinks the new "ipod" will be like the iphone but why would it be like that......

Apple aren't going to distract from the iphone which is a new product line (hence why it's not ipod phone etc)

i think were looking at the 6th gen ipod here.

and if you think about holding your ipod instead of using your thumb you'll use you another finger.

and it'll be fine in case's and armbands as you don't look at the screen when it's in them.

i think it will be cool

I think the only thing that the new iPod will take from the iPhone is its navigation via "multi-touch". The navigation of the iPod has changed over and over again with each generation. I think this is the next step. And that's it. No one is saying the new iPod is going to be like the iPhone in any other way.

I agree though that this poses a problem for iPods in cases or armbands.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    I don't get it.

Doesn't this mean using two hands ?

How do you hold the device to stroke a significant length without dropping it ?

Only about 1/4 of the back can be stroked with the index finger while using the rest of that hand for support.

So, what's wrong with the iPhone interface ?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Hmm, touching the back-side. Sensitive surface. Do the GNAA write the news for AI now?
  • Reply 48 of 49
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

I don't get it.

Doesn't this mean using two hands ?

How do you hold the device to stroke a significant length without dropping it ?

Only about 1/4 of the back can be stroked with the index finger while using the rest of that hand for support.

See my previous post (#33).
  • Reply 49 of 49
    The class of device which would have a small display that a single finger would be impractical for navigation is that of a Shuffle. This next-gen Shuffle has a display which is operated by a touch-sensative control surface on the backside. A single finger can peform any navigation without removing it from the control surface. This is a very small device. Even the mouse-clicks are triggered by just pressing the control surface, no taps.

A next-gen iPod is likely to have a screen similar to that of the iPhone. Even a Nano is large enough for both the controller & display to be on the same side. This device is much smaller. Think second gen Shuffle where the front is a display and the controlling interface is on the backside.

Cheers!