Expresscard Slot - List your best uses!

cbacba
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I really have never used this function on my MacBook Pro, and I am interested to hear what everyone else uses it for, and whether there is something I can invest in to make me look cool?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I store a couple of spare sticks of Wrigleys Spearmint Gum in there.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I would like one on the MB for the ability to add a better graphics card. The MBP has been good enough in that department...

Vinea
  • Reply 4 of 20
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/02/l...resscard-ssds/

16GB card

Now here's my question. If you installed Mac OS X on the 8GB portion would this do the something similar to the Santa Rosa chipset and all for near instant loading? If so I'm going to have to do this on my MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Now here's my question. If you installed Mac OS X on the 8GB portion would this do the something similar to the Santa Rosa chipset and all for near instant loading? If so I'm going to have to do this on my MBP.

Yea, this does sound interesting! please explain!!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    A slightly smaller nano setup with "Home on iPod."

Oh, what the hell, throw in basic IR functionality on the nano-slim to replace my apple remote.

...and a squirrel snare.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    tiptontipton Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

If it's not bootable, it would still be useful for virtual memory to speed up the system.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Actually, I believe that you would specifically NOT want to use flash memory for birtual memory as flash degrades after 10,000 writes or so and virtual memory is constantly writing. I've wondered for a while how they are getting around this with the new 2.5 flash drives.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tipton View Post

If it's not bootable, it would still be useful for virtual memory to speed up the system.

True but after reading more about it, it's sub stained read/write speeds are slower then USB 2.0. They didn't use the express interface too well, so that's all you could really use it for would be virtual memory, not a bootable solution like I was hoping.

Quote:

The problem is that the card is interpolated through USB 2.0 rather than PCI Express, which means the SSD accesses at just 480Mbps rather than the 2.5Gbps supported through PCI-E.

• Reply 10 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I know there is an Apple-compatible remote that fits in there. I think it recharges the remote.

Sony's XDCAM EX camcorders uses Express Card/34 cards for its memory storage.

I think that Lexar card linked will use the PCIe lane, not the USB2 connection, because of the 250MB/s speed claim, which is very close to the max speed of a x1 lane. No matter what you heard, flash memory still isn't anywhere nearly that fast. SSD drives are still only barely faster than a 1.8" hard drive you find in iPods. This is why you might have seen complaints of this card being much slower, it's just the speed of the transport link, not the speed of the drive. It's much like SATAII, it might be 3Gbps max, but in reality, no drive anywhere nearly that fast.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I am planning to buy a Macbook Pro. In reality the Macbook is fine for me except it has no card slot. I connect to the internet using a Sprint EV-DO card. As a result I have to use a Windows notebook (at least until I get my Macbook Pro).
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post

I really have never used this function on my MacBook Pro, and I am interested to hear what everyone else uses it for, and whether there is something I can invest in to make me look cool?

Thanks!

I have a teribite of raided storage via an expresscard in that slot. Great for transfer of media ~ fast and since November of last year NOT one problem has cropped up! The only thing about the expresscard 34 slot is that it can't (I don't really understand why) hook-up a bootable disk?\
  • Reply 13 of 20
    andyruandyru Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post

I am planning to buy a Macbook Pro. In reality the Macbook is fine for me except it has no card slot. I connect to the internet using a Sprint EV-DO card. As a result I have to use a Windows notebook (at least until I get my Macbook Pro).

I too am planning a purchase of a Macbook Pro for the same reason. I am undecided about getting the 17-inch or the 15-inch. Can't see much difference at first glance at the display models. Which one did you choose and why? Thanks!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndyRu View Post

I too am planning a purchase of a Macbook Pro for the same reason. I am undecided about getting the 17-inch or the 15-inch. Can't see much difference at first glance at the display models. Which one did you choose and why? Thanks!

I will probably buy the iMac first after giving it a lot of thought. However I had settled on the 15 inch Mac Book Pro because it was smaller.

Right now I use a Windows notebook and will dump it when I get a Mac Book Pro. I carry it with me at least 2 or 3 times a week to work. My job requires travel and quick set-up of my notebook for impromptu meetings. I went to the Apple Store and looked at both. The 17 inch is actually very big.

The 15 inch 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 17 inch 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo are almost the same. They both have the same processor, the same graphics card, and the same RAM. The 17 inch does have a larger hard drive and slightly faster Super drive. However this does not matter to me. I store so much stuff I doubt if they will ever make one large enough me. I always supplement my machines with a large Firewire external storage. As for the Super drive I maybe wrong but 6X probably is not a great deal slower than 8X.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Hi there again, does anyone know of a component which you can plug in that merely turns the slot into another couple of USB ports? that would be useful! thanks
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA View Post

Hi there again, does anyone know of a component which you can plug in that merely turns the slot into another couple of USB ports? that would be useful! thanks

A search for "USB expresscard 34" on Newegg only returns two devices, each have one USB port and two Firewire 400 ports.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    One thing I discovered in another Newegg search is that there are now several Firewire 800 cards now too, which would be good for those that bought an original Core Duo MacBook Pro, compatible with MacOS.

I remember finding an article last January saying "don't worry, we know that there are several ExpressCard FW800 adapters coming in a few months". Unfortunately, an updated MBP came out a lot sooner than these adapters.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndyRu View Post

Did you see the USB 3G modems? They are pretty awesome and would overcome that hiccup!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'd love to see a Elgato Expresscard TV tuner.

Not Elgato, but works with EyeTV if you wish...

http://www.miglia.com/TVBookPro/index.html