Mandatory Massachusetts Health Insurance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

It's only $200 a month, but that sure adds up for a family. The insurance isnt that great, it has something like a $2000 or $2500 deductible

Cheap! Our family's insurance costs over $500 a month and is $3000 or $3500 deductible, and this is the lowest cost insurance plan. We could pay extra to get insurance that covers more. We are all in the same boat if we are employed. The company, or university in our case, simply gives us the insurance, and our only choice is to have better insurance or not. We have a limit on the monthly premium and pay the difference if we choose to go over it.

• Reply 22 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Seeing as how there is now scientific evidence that humans are inherently good, maybe libertarianism isn't so out of touch?

There is now scientific evidence that humans are inherently good, huh? I'd like to see that journal article. Was that published in the journal Nature? Did the researcher win the Nobel prize for that? Gimme a break and stop talking out of your ass like nobody will notice.

Quote:

To reiterate, health insurance plans are no longer geared towards emergency usage. This is why you're out of touch. Instead of making ill-informed quips in a failed attempt to try to out-maneuver me (you won't), maybe you should actually do some research. I know that research, i.e. the study of fact, would be a crime against liberal rubrick, but maybe they'll make an exception just this once.

1) I never claimed that health insurance is only "geared towards emergency usage," so I really don't know why this is some big point for you. I said that the reason he should get health insurance is to cover very expensive items, not the items he said he can pay for out-of-pocket.

2) Of course most health insurance plans also cover less-expensive items. But they're not the reason you get health insurance. You get it to cover items you can't pay for out-of-pocket. That was why I was encouraging MajorMatt to have health insurance. If you have some other terrific, incisive debating point you want to make, great, but it's irrelevant to my statements to MajorMatt.

3) Furthermore, most health insurance plans (like the one under discussion) have deductibles that you have to pay before coverage kicks in, meaning that people are, in fact, only getting coverage for the expensive health care.

4) I don't need to do "research" to understand health insurance. You may need to look it up in wikipedia, but anyone who has experienced adult life for more than a short time has plenty of experience with it.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There is now scientific evidence that humans are inherently good, huh? I'd like to see that journal article. Was that published in the journal Nature? Did the researcher win the Nobel prize for that? Gimme a break and stop talking out of your ass like nobody will notice.

In your points, you're just back-stepping and trying to cover your ass, which is fine, but essentially you just made a nothing post. I'm more interested now in pointing-out the scientific study.

Quote:

A provocative medical experiment conducted recently by neuroscientists at Harvard, Caltech and the University of Southern California strongly suggests these impulsive convictions come not from conscious principles but from the brain trying to make its emotional judgment felt.

The writeup I read was in the WSJ, and I can't post a link for you since it's subscriber-only. If you want to take the low-road and claim that the WSJ isn't worthy of your attention, that's certainly your preroggative, but as this study was conducted at major research universities with generally liberal biases, I think you can probably find plenty of write-ups in other periodicals that may or may not share your liberal bias.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Jane, you ignorant slut.....
  • Reply 25 of 25
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That is perhaps the mopst ignorant thing I've seen posted on AI. Ever.

Please, enlighten us with your wisdom.

It would take me too long to explain to simple minds like you.