Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Nice.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    That's what I'm sayin yo.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Nice. I'm curious though; where does Peak fit in here? Could one of you audio geeks sort of run down the apps from high end to low - from those which are intended mostly as editors to compliment apps liek Director or Flash vs. those that are meant to aid in the production of original digital music?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I'm no audio expert or geek so I couldn't tell you. I'm just getting started on this stuff and was waiting for the big name apps to come out for OS X. I've heard a lot of good things about Cubase & Reason. Logic looks nice too.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ™:

<strong>Nice. I'm curious though; where does Peak fit in here? Could one of you audio geeks sort of run down the apps from high end to low - from those which are intended mostly as editors to compliment apps liek Director or Flash vs. those that are meant to aid in the production of original digital music?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Moogs-

Peak is a fairly high-end "pro" audio app, though it's aged a bit and isn't as popular now that TC Spark is available. Peak and Spark are the two main two-channel (stereo) editing & mastering tools on the Mac.

Then there are the various multi-track audio apps, some of which also have midi sequencing too -- we're talking Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer (all three of which are also pro-level midi apps), and Pro Tools (which has rudimentary midi capabilities which nobody takes seriously). Also there's Deck, which is made by Bias (the makers of Peak) which is a pro-level multitracking program that is less and less popular.

Now that Cubase, Logic and DP all have varying levels of integration with software instruments (synths and samplers), not to mention an amazing breadth of plugins, most pro & serious amateur users are moving away from programs previously considered to be "pro quality" that don't support VSTi instruments or some equivalent.

I'm also hearing from more and more people moving away from Pro Tools.

As mentioned, Cubase & Logic have OSX versions coming fairly soon. Nothing from MOTU yet on Digital Performer but they can't be lagging too far behind -- MOTU has released OSX drivers for their midi interfaces, so they must be aware of the general move to the new OS. It would surprise me if Digidesign was NOT the last to move to OSX support.

In the past few months I've spent a couple thousand bucks on software versions (Spark, Reaktor, Ableton Live, Wave Gold Native Bundle) that are not yet OSX friendly, so I've basically given up on doing my audio work on OSX any time soon. Check that, Live has an OSX version, but since I'm using the rest of those apps in OS9 I probably won't have any opportunity to run Live in OSX so I'll just keep booting the Powermac into OS9 unless I know I won't be working on music.

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    which program would you recommend? i need some really simple multi-tracking. i wont be using midi. whats cheap and really easy to use and understand?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    Try the free version of Pro Tools if you don't need midi.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Try the free version of Pro Tools if you don't need midi.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks! i am downloading it now...

:cool:

btw, what would you recommend as a good input device (to either the usb or firewire ports on my imac g4)? i cant afford a digi001, and i cant add cards anyway. besides, im only doing stuff for fun when im bored on a saturday night. i'm not cutting any albums.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    For cheap & easy non-critical use, try this:

<a href="http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html"; target="_blank">http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html</A>;
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>For cheap & easy non-critical use, try this:

<a href="http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html"; target="_blank">http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

thanks!

do you think it's safe to plug in the line-out/speaker out from an amp into the imic? (i could just mic the amp, but...nah.) or maybe connect a multieffects processor in the chain somewhere?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    As long as the line out from the amp is really a line-level signal, that should be fine.