Today SUCKED BALLS

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm moving out of my dorm today and someone decides to steal my MacBook Pro. *@#*$&^@#(*$&%@#$*!@#!! It was in my room in my backpack. My roommate just left the door unlocked for a few minutes... The usual story when someone steals something.

Aside from a police report, what should I do? I called Applecare to see if they could list it as stolen or something, but they said they couldn't do a thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Damn, man. I'd probably cry.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    See if your roommate will split the cost. Mensch!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ootlinkootlink Posts: 41member
    I say your roommate stole it.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OoTLink View Post

agreed.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Easy now on this. We talk about theft here; let the police decide if it is him or not.

smax, when the case is resolved and since living in a dorm places you at high risk, you should consider among other things this solution: Undercover.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Quote:

It wasn't him. I have known the guy since 6th grade. His mom was there the entire time he was there. His dad made over a million dollars when he left his last job...

He didn't do it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Does anyone know if Applecare would have my computer's MAC addresses on record?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

So I'm moving out of my dorm today and someone decides to steal my MacBook Pro. *@#*$&^@#(*$&%@#$*!@#!! It was in my room in my backpack. My roommate just left the door unlocked for a few minutes...

It's a shame you have to now kill him.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

It wasn't him. I have known the guy since 6th grade. His mom was there the entire time he was there. His dad made over a million dollars when he left his last job...

He didn't do it.

They're only fucking with you, they are just looking for the easy answer. They think it's an equation. We feel for you man, that truly sucks balls.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ci0002ci0002 Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Easy now on this. We talk about theft here; let the police decide if it is him or not.

smax, when the case is resolved and since living in a dorm places you at high risk, you should consider among other things this solution: Undercover.

Does anyone have experience with Undercover? It looks like a cool idea.

Thanks
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Sooo... MAC address. Where can I find it? Applecare dind't have anything. You'd think they logged what MAC addresses when with what computer... I need this ASAP.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's a shame you have to now kill him.

\
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you had a router, it might store your MAC address in the DHCP table, but only for a limited time. I also believe the MAC address is on the box your computer came with if you still have it.

I have a list of all the network addresses to all my computers printed out in my room just in case. Either way, Apple does have this information in their database in the sky, but getting them to look it up will be hard.

I always wanted to use that program. Maybe I will if I get a new laptop in college. I am more worried about my desktop though. It will take a long time to steal, but the motivation is there.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

If you had a router, it might store your MAC address in the DHCP table, but only for a limited time. I also believe the MAC address is on the box your computer came with if you still have it.

I have a list of all the network addresses to all my computers printed out in my room just in case. Either way, Apple does have this information in their database in the sky, but getting them to look it up will be hard.

I always wanted to use that program. Maybe I will if I get a new laptop in college. I am more worried about my desktop though. It will take a long time to steal, but the motivation is there.

I DO still have the box, BUT in order to get the student iPod rebate, you have to cut off the proof of purchase which has the MAC addys. So no dice.

I checked the router, but for some reason Linksys decides to disable logging by default.

I have no idea who to go to at apple to get this info.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Sorry dude, it's gone.

When I was in college, I never let my laptop out of my sight. When I did, I locked it down.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I DO still have the box, BUT in order to get the student iPod rebate, you have to cut off the proof of purchase which has the MAC addys. So no dice.

I checked the router, but for some reason Linksys decides to disable logging by default.

I have no idea who to go to at apple to get this info.

I offer my sympathies. In empathy, I would say I got majorly fracked over (also a bit my negligence) by a dodgy roommate that was sharing our house (4 of us altogether) in Sydney... he was like $1000+ behind on rent that I had to cough up when moving out.

Did you enable MAC address filtering on your router? If so there would be a record of your MBP MAC address.

The only other thing I suggest is laptop insurance which covers theft, other than that major paranoia \