Safari on iPhone - typing in forms?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I understand what you're saying, but it looks like you just answered your own question. Yes, I would imagine that if you "touched" inside a text form, a keyboard will pop up. If you "touch" a drop down box, it will drop down. And so on..... do you understand what I mean?

There will be some changes for the fact that you have no real keyboard or mouse, but otherwise it will be like Safari on the desktop.

the problem with that is: we've seen safari used mostly in landscape mode on the iphone and the keyboard is used in portrait mode. we don't yet know if the keyboard even works in landscape. seems like it would have to since obviously we'll need to type SOMETHING while in landscape mode at some point. it would be poor form if you had to turn the phone 90 degrees just to type stuff in, although i guess it's certainly possible that this is the case.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    kaiciankaician Posts: 8member
    for those of you who are having trouble imagining how this whole "magic soft keyboard" thing is gonna work, just take a look at how windows mobile smartphones do it now. You click a box, the keyboard pops out. You put it in landscape and a keyboard still pops out, but it takes up more screen real estate in comparison to portrait. While those keyboards are made to be used with a stylus, it should provide more than enough insight to how the basic functions of iphone writing will work, considering you can use those keyboards with your fingers as well (though not as well as the iphone seems it will let you.) People, granted the iphone is OSX, but let not forget that the basics between windows and OSX are the same, apple just seems to feel nicer doing the same things. XP->OSX, WM->iphone(OSX). They're not reinventing the format, just polishing it up.

Also, if you ask a speculative question, and you get speculative answers, those answers are just as good as the question asked. Especially in this case where EVERYONE is going off information garnered months ago. Chill out and try to have a nice "discusssion" yo...
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

the problem with that is: we've seen safari used mostly in landscape mode on the iphone and the keyboard is used in portrait mode. we don't yet know if the keyboard even works in landscape. seems like it would have to since obviously we'll need to type SOMETHING while in landscape mode at some point. it would be poor form if you had to turn the phone 90 degrees just to type stuff in, although i guess it's certainly possible that this is the case.

Isn't it nice when you can answer your own questions.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

I think the answer to this will be pretty simple. There is no Finder. You access your data via iPhone's apps -- that's it.

It's not a little Mac, after all. (Or not yet. ) It's a very savvy iPod / phone.

Agreed.

Quote:

I will be very interested to see just how Apple implements text selection and cutting and pasting (assuming it can be done at all) without traditional menus or keyboard commands.... and via multi-touch. It'll be fascinating to see how they do it.

Text selection, hmmm, how about "press and slide over text"? I think there will still be menu items or small icons for some apps (SMS, Mail) and cut/copy/paste could be part of that.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    kaiciankaician Posts: 8member
    Quote:

I will be very interested to see just how Apple implements text selection and cutting and pasting (assuming it can be done at all) without traditional menus or keyboard commands.... and via multi-touch. It'll be fascinating to see how they do it.

I'm trying my best to keep up with any iphone info that comes out, even if it's just rumors, but was there anywhere that said that they wouldn't use context menus on the iphone? there have been contextual menus on any phone i've ever used, smart or not (I'm a late starter). As for my personal view on how it will be done, you use your finger like a pointer; tap (something; link, etc...) to click, slide over something (text, etc) to select, tap and hold on anything (selected tect, blank space) to bring up a contextual menu which will have commands that you can perform according to the... context...

Guys, don't think this over too hard. It's OSX, put into a phone GUI. It will have all the power we're used to, but it will probably be very restricted at the start, but open up as apple feels more comfortable with the platform/users demand more flexibility.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Isn't it nice when you can answer your own questions.

so you're saying you must turn the phone to portrait mode to enter any text? that's not great ergonomically. that's one of the benefits of a slider keyboard or some other sort of landscape keyboard setup like a sidekick.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

so you're saying you must turn the phone to portrait mode to enter any text? that's not great ergonomically. that's one of the benefits of a slider keyboard or some other sort of landscape keyboard setup like a sidekick.

No, I was referring to when you said.....

Quote:

...seems like it would have to since obviously we'll need to type SOMETHING while in landscape mode at some point. it would be poor form if you had to turn the phone 90 degrees just to type stuff in, although i guess it's certainly possible that this is the case.

Yes, the iPhone would need to have the keyboard available in landscape mode, because it would be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY stupid to have to keep turning your phone every time you wanted to input something.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

No, I was referring to when you said.....

Yes, the iPhone would need to have the keyboard available in landscape mode, because it would be REALLY, REALLY, REALLY stupid to have to keep turning your phone every time you wanted to input something.

yes, it would. which is why it's a bit worrying, now that i think about it, that the keyboard has never been showing landscape mode.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    OK, but I'm sure there are tons of features and things the iPhone can do that was not shown in the keynote, which is about the only place we've seen the iPhone in action.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    logkirklogkirk Posts: 1member
    The screen touch feature is a bit off to be honest..I am wishing that Apple will also provide a external keyboard in the iPhone's package
  • Reply 31 of 34
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, the phone has Bluetooth, and there is that BT keyboard they sell... just a thought. (Don't think it'll happen from them, but you never know. OS X kernel + BT keyboard driver from MacOS X = ?)

You know, it's funny reading this, because it's obvious you guys never used a Newton.

Cut/copy/paste - JupiterOne got that one - select the item you want, tap, hold, drag to edge, where it docks as a floating indicator. Switch to destination doc/app, drag off and drop. Works really well.

Seriously, these UI issues were solved over a decade ago, it isn't really anything to worry about. I'm more intrigued to see how far off of the Newton UI model it ends up being... should be fun.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The 2 items that interest me are the touch screen keyboard and Apple's bluetooth headset. After using compact keyboards like the ones on the Treo, going to one that does not have the tactile feedback will require a learning curve. As for the headset, right now it is vaporware. As for browsers most are scaled down for mobile units. This is not a real problem. Safari has got to be light years better than Palm's Blazer.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Well, the phone has Bluetooth, and there is that BT keyboard they sell... just a thought. (Don't think it'll happen from them, but you never know. OS X kernel + BT keyboard driver from MacOS X = ?)

You know, it's funny reading this, because it's obvious you guys never used a Newton.

messagepad 130.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

How are we going to type text into form fields on web pages using iPhone's "mini-Safari"?

They could easily add an update to make the onscreen keyboard on the iPhone transparent in Safari, that would solve some issues right away.