What do I use to replace Visio?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2015
I'm looking for a decent drawing program to replace Visio (Windows). I'm almost completely switched over to my iMac, but I REALLY need to use Visio. I use it to draw maps and things like this -

http://www.glacialdrumlin.com/Maps/bigmainmap.pdf

Comments

• Reply 2 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Seconded.

Thirded, too.

The VisioXML import/export in Pro is an important tool in shared (Visio) environments, but OG just kicks innumerable types of keister.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    daibachdaibach Posts: 18member
    "Fourthed". Omnigraffle is so much better than Visio.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Avogadro-d.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daibach View Post

"Fourthed". Omnigraffle is so much better than Visio.

Having used both, I dont like OnmuGraph at all, but to each his own I guess,

Better make sure that it can handle the Visio files from not only 2000-2003 but also the "Open" XML format in 2k7.

I have been testing the O2k7 suit at work and it breaks all compatibility with old files, so if Omni-whatever cant open colleagues' documents soon don't be shocked. (there is a pklugin for Office 2003 that adds 2k7 compatibility free of charge)

If you do any more than the most basic of flow charts for a living, Visio is worth every penny: I would go so far as to say that Visio and Project are the only 2 Office apps that have no real competition in todays marketplace.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Better make sure that it can handle the Visio files from not only 2000-2003 but also the "Open" XML format in 2k7.

I have been testing the O2k7 suit at work and it breaks all compatibility with old files, so if Omni-whatever cant open colleagues' documents soon don't be shocked. (there is a pklugin for Office 2003 that adds 2k7 compatibility free of charge)

If you do any more than the most basic of flow charts for a living, Visio is worth every penny: I would go so far as to say that Visio and Project are the only 2 Office apps that have no real competition in todays marketplace.

a_greer,

Could you please elaborate on why you think Visio is better than OmniGraffle? Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Omni-Graffle 100th'd here.

It freekn' rocks!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Interesting...Omni is going right after those two market segments. Omniplan is a version 1 product but people that need PM apps seem to like the potential. OG is progressing nicely as well. Omni seems to be queuing up some nice stuff. It's becoming easier and easier to become "Microsoft free" in the MacWorld.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/pro/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omnigroup

OmniGraffle Professional 4 now uses the recently-opened Visio XML schemas, so there have been many improvements to the Visio XML import/export function, and some of the newer feature sets (such as the Bezier drawing tool) bring OmniGraffle's Visio support to a higher level. Additional, there is now support for exporting to the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format. SVG can display OmniGraffle documents beautifully at any size, whether you're viewing them on the screen of a mobile phone or on a large print banner.

2007 Visio XML doesn't seem to be supported yet.

Download it and give it a whirl. Also keep in mind that OG is likely going to get an update this year that should be substantial.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:

For my needs, I don't do any flow charting at all. I basically use it to draw maps, like in my OP. Compatability with Visio 2K7 is a non-issue for me, as I haven't used that version yet.

Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to try OG sometime, but they only have a 24hr demo. That's too short of a demo.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I'm going to try OG sometime, but they only have a 24hr demo. That's too short of a demo.

The demo is unlimited length for a document with less than 20 objects. However, you can get a new trial license that removes this limitation for each day you need to evaluate the program.
  • Reply 11 of 13

I know this thread is ancient, but I figured it might be nice to update it for others, like me, who stumble across it. Oldtimers like Omnigraffle are certainly still around, but advances in internet technology have led to the creation of programs like Lucidchart, which is a 100% cloud-based chart-maker. It's definitely worth a look.

• Reply 12 of 13
    Don't know if this thread is dead or not but I had exactly the same problem as the original poster since switching to Mac and have been using SmartDraw. Very happy with it so far but there are now lots of other options for Mac users. This is a very good article reviewing the best ones: https://machow2.com/best-alternatives-visio-mac/