How can I restore my TRASH files?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I may have deleted some family photos, actually all of them but I'm not quite sure. Is there a way to restore my regular trash files through OSX?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    There are 2 apps which are easy to use and they are

Data Rescue II

or

File Salvage

These have both worked great for me at different times.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    If they are still in the Trash just drag them back to their original folder
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DenverKirrane View Post

If they are still in the Trash just drag them back to their original folder

Just curious, since I've never had to recover from my Trash (yet!), but is there no "Restore" option for items in the Trash...similar to Windows? Or do you just have to know where the trashed item was and drag it back there yourself?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've had success with this program: EXIF Untrasher but it basically makes a entire disk image and searches for EXIF data to find your images. You need a second computer and 2X your drive size but it is worth a shot if you can as it specifically looks for Digital camera images only.

Oh, and DO NOT USE YOUR COMPUTER! The files you want can be overwritten by OS X at any time.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Just curious, since I've never had to recover from my Trash (yet!), but is there no "Restore" option for items in the Trash...similar to Windows? Or do you just have to know where the trashed item was and drag it back there yourself?

Where ever you drag them to is where they will end up, regardless of where they were before
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    There is an undo move in the edit menu, but once you empty the trash, it won't work. What you want is a feature called "Time Machine" unfortunately in the next version of OS X. (10.5)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    Thanks for all the info everyone, to be honest, I have a feeling the data is lost. As long as the wife doesn't find out our trip to Vegas vanished off of the computer, I'll be ok, otherwise its a make-up trip to Vegas and that wouldn't be too bad either!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

There is an undo move in the edit menu, but once you empty the trash, it won't work. What you want is a feature called "Time Machine" unfortunately in the next version of OS X. (10.5)

OK, but I was looking for something similar to the way it is implemented in Windows. Every item in the Recycle Bin has it's own "Restore" option when you right-click it. It's convenient because what you want to recover from Trash may be something you trashed weeks ago and you may not remember where you trashed it from.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Back in the days of System 9 you could just click on a file in the Trash and hit Apple - Y to "restore". Saved my butt more than once. But Steve wisely removed that feature in OS X.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

Thanks for all the info everyone, to be honest, I have a feeling the data is lost. As long as the wife doesn't find out our trip to Vegas vanished off of the computer, I'll be ok, otherwise its a make-up trip to Vegas and that wouldn't be too bad either!

Too bad you aren't using Windows. You could blame it on a virus or on Microsoft.