Apple preps first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.10 for testing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Exclusive: With the release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard pushed back to October, Apple has bought itself more time to tie loose ends in the current Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system and will put forth those fixes via its first "dot ten" software update in quite some time, AppleInsider has learned.

According to those people familiar with the matter, the first pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.10 began making the rounds in Cupertino earlier this month.

The Mac maker hopes to stabilize the software to the point where it can begin seeding copies of the software update externally to its thousands of Apple Developer Connection members as early as next week, those same people say.

At this time, specific fixes and feature enhancements are unknown. However, in speaking to editors recently, company representatives vowed to provide a fix for at least one Mac audio-related issue in a "forthcoming update."

Apple may also tap the impending Tiger update to lend software support to an upcoming series of Mac hardware updates that will include refreshed MacBook Pro notebooks and redesigned 20- and 24-inch iMac all-in-one desktop systems.

Although the company had originally intended to disperse its next-generation Leopard operating system around the same time as those hardware product launches, urgency in meeting its self-imposed June launch date for iPhone directly translated into a multi-month delay of Leopard.

Apple last updated Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger in March, when it released Mac OS X 10.4.9 with improved camera RAW support, improved DVD playback, enhanced Bluetooth support and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    mazolamazola Posts: 11member
    It's The Apocalypse!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    craigb6craigb6 Posts: 16member
    Let the arguing about 10.4.10 begin!
  • Reply 3 of 74
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Wait, is that 10.4.1 again? I'm confuuuuuzed. Oh wait, I'm not.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    mazolamazola Posts: 11member
    Why don't they just call it 10.5, ship it on time in June/July, and be done with it?
  • Reply 5 of 74
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I believe we were heading this way regardless of Leopard's delay. The iPhone is probably the driving force and Apple will want 10.4 users to have the basic environment available for them. While a lot of the iPhone software will come on a CD (for both Mac & Windows users) there will probably be some changes and 10.4.10 will keep everyone on the same page.

10.4.10 would probably also be needed for any new hardware that needs some of the code from Leopard. MBP and a iMac would be at the head of the list. I don't see Apple doing this for the Mac mini!
  • Reply 6 of 74
    domerdeldomerdel Posts: 78member
    suggestion for naming convention of updates

10.4.9A

10.4.9B

10.4.9C

or

I just think 10.4.10 is mistaken for 10.4.1
  • Reply 7 of 74
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    I don't see why people have so much trouble with this. It's obviously a separator, not a decimal place. 10.4.9 doesn't make sense as a decimal number either.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

suggestion for naming convention of updates

10.4.9A

10.4.9B

10.4.9C

or

No, just you.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Hopefully, this will put to rest the silly arguments about the naming scheme of Mac OS X point updates.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    For some strange reason I always wanted to see a 10.X.10 release
  • Reply 11 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

For some strange reason I always wanted to see a 10.X.10 release

How about an X.X.X release?
  • Reply 12 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazola View Post

Why don't they just call it 10.5, ship it on time in June/July, and be done with it?

Are you being serious?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

I believe we were heading this way regardless of Leopard's delay. The iPhone is probably the driving force and Apple will want 10.4 users to have the basic environment available for them. While a lot of the iPhone software will come on a CD (for both Mac & Windows users) there will probably be some changes and 10.4.10 will keep everyone on the same page.

10.4.10 would probably also be needed for any new hardware that needs some of the code from Leopard. MBP and a iMac would be at the head of the list. I don't see Apple doing this for the Mac mini!

I agree. Depending on when this is officially released, we may also see a 10.4.11.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

Yet no one mistakes 10.4 for 1.4
  • Reply 13 of 74
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Might as well make it purely hexadecimal and call it 10.4.A.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Might as well make it purely hexadecimal and call it 10.4.A.

Wouldn't that make it sound like a Canadian CB radio operator?
  • Reply 15 of 74
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

*facepalm*
  • Reply 16 of 74
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

• Reply 17 of 74
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Soda just came out of my nose.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree. Depending on when this is officially released, we may also see a 10.4.11.

It is pretty safe bet that we will see 10.4.11. Apple always makes a point update to previous version shortly after a new major version is released. And, no matter whether this particular 10.4.10 rumor is accurate, I doubt we will not see an update before October-November. And this means 2 updates: 10.4.10 and 10.4.11. The numbering is a no brainer too.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    Surely this update is going to 'accommodate' the iPhone which is coming shortly.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazola View Post

No, MS already did that.