The big swap over

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just purchased my lovely new mac book today with all its lovely upgrades,

Just wondering what is the most annoying thing to get used to (one button, shortcuts etc) when switching from a pc to a mac???????????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrokenZero View Post

Just wondering what is the most annoying thing to get used to (one button, shortcuts etc) when switching from a pc to a mac???????????

Well, to put a positive spin on this thread, you WILL find infinitely more things that you LOVE about your new MacBook. However, to answer your questions, for me it was (is) that you cannot resize your windows other than from the bottom right corner. \
  • Reply 2 of 13
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    You'll have to also get used to the fact that there's no maximize like there is on Windows. The only application that really annoys me on this point is Safari, but I don't use it so it doesn't matter.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

You'll have to also get used to the fact that there's no maximize like there is on Windows. The only application that really annoys me on this point is Safari, but I don't use it so it doesn't matter.

...really? Ever wonder what the green + button is for? It makes the window as big as it needs it to be. When I hit it in Camino by mistake it drives me nuts. My screen is too big for full screens with a lot of white, it looks like a 18 wheeler is comin at me lol.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

...really? Ever wonder what the green + button is for?

Yeah, it's the Zoom button.

Quote:

It makes the window as big as it needs it to be.

Which is not the same as Maximize...in the Windows sense. There are some applications where a true maximize button would come in handy.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, it's the Zoom button.

Which is not the same as Maximize...in the Windows sense. There are some applications where a true maximize button would come in handy.

The applications that your talking about don't have a full screen mode? I know all the programs I use have them like: All the Adobe apps, Cinema 4D, Cubase, Live, and Pro Tools all have a full screen modes because it makes the application in some situations more user friendly I guess you could say. I know Reason doesn't because it wouldn't make sense to have the whole screen covered for such a compact application. What apps are you specifically talking about?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

The applications that your talking about don't have a full screen mode? I know all the programs I use have them like: All the Adobe apps, Cinema 4D, Cubase, Live, and Pro Tools all have a full screen modes because it makes the application in some situations more user friendly I guess you could say. I know Reason doesn't because it wouldn't make sense to have the whole screen covered for such a compact application. What apps are you specifically talking about?

This debate has been done over and over again in the past and I really don't want to derail this thread, but.....

I think it is truly subjective. As you said, it "makes the window as big as it needs it to be." My main gripe is that a lot of the time, what it thinks is as big as it needs to be, is not big enough for me. There are some web pages (for example) that I just want full screen. Same for photos. It would be nice to have a preference or a modifier key to change the default "Zoom" behavior to "Maximize".
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Well, to put a positive spin on this thread, you WILL find infinitely more things that you LOVE about your new MacBook. However, to answer your questions, for me it was (is) that you cannot resize your windows other than from the bottom right corner. \

I complained about the same thing awhile back until I was told about an app called Window Dragon by an AppleInsider. A GREAT little app and it's FREE:

For 10.4: http://homepage.mac.com/tconkling/windowdragon/

For 10.2 and 10.3: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...134&vid=191209

"WindowDragon was created because it is often inconvenient to click on a window's title bar or resize button to move and resize windows. WindowDragon allows a window's entire structure to be used as move or resize zone. In other words, "WindowDragon makes it possible to move or resize a window by clicking anywhere within that window."

"Additionally, WindowDragon allows you to resize a window from any corner, and it allows you to drag all of an application's windows in tandem."
  • Reply 8 of 13
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Man, I've been a Mac user for a long time now, and if Apple doesn't revamp the inconsistently implemented Zoom button in Leopard I will be very sad indeed.

The one button isn't hard to get used to at all, thanks the MacBook's fantastic two-finger scrolling and contextual-menu abilities. Check 'em out in System Preferences.

You'll get the hang of command-key shortcuts before you know it.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrokenZero View Post

Two fingers on the trackpad will make the single click button act as a Right-click. Alternatively you can use CTRL+click, but I like the two fingers+click method.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    WindowDragon is pretty nice. I just installed it. It's kind of sluggish on Juice, and it doesn't seem to resize EyeTV windows at all, but otherwise it's a little nicer than having to grab narrow window edges or grab a tiny window corner.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I think you'll miss the snappiness. Applications don't launch instantly, they rarely take less than 3 bounces to load. Same with closing down programs. It seems to be with apps that load libraries at startup so I don't know if OS X's way of doing this is just really inefficient but it's quite annoying. Rosetta apps are terrible at loading. Fortunately there are lots of universal binaries but still some apps like Office are holding out.

If you like the odd game, you likely won't be able to play them. Some software packages too.

Besides that, I can't really think of anything where using Windows is an advantage.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think you'll miss the snappiness. Applications don't launch instantly, they rarely take less than 3 bounces to load. Same with closing down programs. It seems to be with apps that load libraries at startup so I don't know if OS X's way of doing this is just really inefficient but it's quite annoying. Rosetta apps are terrible at loading. Fortunately there are lots of universal binaries but still some apps like Office are holding out.

If you like the odd game, you likely won't be able to play them. Some software packages too.

Besides that, I can't really think of anything where using Windows is an advantage.

Snappiness??? in Windows notebooks????
  • Reply 13 of 13
    dave9500dave9500 Posts: 7member
    I was annoyed with the one button thing at first (especially when using older Macs). I kinda of solved my problem by buying a two button mouse. Right now I use a Macbook I have connected to an external monitor. In my office I have the Apple Pro Scroll Mouse and at home I have a logitech trackball (limited desk space). The Trackball works just as well as it did with my older windows machine and actually has 4 button operation.

I think the most annoying thing is whenever I have a lot of items on my Desktop and I save new files there all of the time, they seem to save right over my hard drive icon or some other important shortcut - so I am constantly moving things around.