News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Thursday received the official go-ahead on its first ever mobile handset, as regulators for the Federal Communications Commission gave the iPod maker the green light to commence sales of the device in the United States.

According to FCC documents obtained by AppleInsider, the "GSM Cellular Telephone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi" carries model number A1203 and FCC ID: BCGA1203.

In an SAR Test Report conducted on February 6th, 2007, FCC Test Lab Manager Lothar Schmidt wrote the following:

"The Apple Inc. A1203 GSM Cellular Telephone with Bluetooth and Wifi, FCC ID: BCGA1203, is in compliance with the limits for general population uncontrolled exposure specified in FCC 2.1093. The device was tested according to the measurement standards and procedures specified in FCC OET Bulletin 65, Supplement C (Edition 01-01) and IEEE p1528/D1.2, April 21, 2003."

Per Apple's request, the test report omitted the following for "short term" confidentiality reasons: Test Setup Photos, External Photographs, Internal Photographs, and the iPhone User Manual.

Permanent confidentiality omissions included the iPhone's Block Diagram, Operational Description, Radio Schematic, Radio Bill of Material, Radio Tune-up Procedure, and Exhibit notes.

Apple has maintained that it is on track to begin shipping iPhone in late June.

Shares of Apple rose nearly 2 percent on the news to close up $2.10 to $109.44.

For those interested, you can view Apple's requests for confidentiality and some of the test results on the following page. You can also download -- via our mirror -- the 4-part iPhone SAR Test Report (part1, part2, part3, part4).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    nice!
  • Reply 2 of 66
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Lothar,

"I'm so happy, I could kiss you on the nuts."
  • Reply 3 of 66
    This is terrible, terrible news...

...for competitors.

-Clive
  • Reply 4 of 66
    This is great news in that we can now ignore any rumors that the FCC rejected the iPhone that were no doubt going to come any day now. Glad we avoided a web swarm on that one...

It's also nice to know that one more hurdle in the path to actually shipping the iPhone is taken care of.

-------------------

www.ITFinanceGuy.com
  • Reply 5 of 66
    shanemshanem Posts: 18member
    Wow I'm so stoked!
  • Reply 6 of 66
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. on Thursday received the official go-ahead on its first ever mobile handset, with the Federal Communications Commission giving the iPod maker the green light to commence sales of the device in the United States.

Now before the crap hits the fan, i.e., like, "Does anybody know when we can expect it to be available in Canada, UK, France, etc., and why not?" let's make it quite clear that each country has its own regulatory body which requires separate submissions, reviews and approvals. Thus the answer is, "Nobody knows!"

Obviously, some Apple country subsiduaries have yet to submit to their respective governming bodies awaiting for the US FCC's approval first. Some countries may just rubber stamp the US rulings. In either case, "Who?" Nobody that is in the know will tell you. So why even speculate.

In any event, this is great news for the millions of us that are just biting the bullet to get it.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Ready in quantities for WWDC? Every extra week sooner is great by me!
  • Reply 8 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quick, Kasper! Put a Digg thingie on this!
  • Reply 9 of 66
    justdoitjustdoit Posts: 44member
    hmmm... Dad's and Grads gift time!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 66
    knotuknotu Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. on Thursday received the official go-ahead on its first ever mobile handset, with the Federal Communications Commission giving the iPod maker the green light to commence sales of the device in the United States.

According to FCC documents obtained by AppleInsider, the "GSM Cellular Telephone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi" carriers model number A1203 and FCC ID: BCGA1203.

In an SAR Test Report conducted on February 6th, 2006, FCC Test Lab Manager Lothar Schmidt wrote the following:

"The Apple Inc. A1203 GSM Cellular Telephone with Bluetooth and Wifi, FCC ID: BCGA1203, is in compliance with the limits for general population uncontrolled exposure specified in FCC 2.1093. The device was tested according to the measurement standards and procedures specified in FCC OET Bulletin 65, Supplement C (Edition 01-01) and IEEE p1528/D1.2, April 21, 2003."

Per Apple's request, the test report omitted the following for "short term" confidentiality reasons: Test Setup Photos, External Photographs, Internal Photographs, and the iPhone User Manual.

Permanent confidentiality omissions included the iPhone's Block Diagram, Operational Description, Radio Schematic, Radio Bill of Material, Radio Tune-up Procedure, and Exhibit notes.

Apple has maintained that it is on track to begin shipping iPhone by late June.

For those interested, you can view Apple's requests for confidentiality and some of the test results on the following page. You can also download -- via our mirror -- the 4-part iPhone SAR Test Report (part1, part2, part3, part4).

LATE JUNE??? what happened to JUNE 11
  • Reply 11 of 66
    pixelnycpixelnyc Posts: 19member
    Anyone else sick of the iphone yet? Hasn't even come out yet and I'm bored. Liked it better when apple would suprise me with new, innovative things I could actually use. Too much consumer junk nowdays and quality control has taken a bit of a dive. I'll keep buying though...
  • Reply 12 of 66
    I can't wait!!!!!!!

This is killing me! If anyone at Apple reads this and/or these messages....We are dying over here! Release the iPhone into the wild already!

?SickBoy?
  • Reply 13 of 66
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelnyc View Post

Liked it better when apple would suprise me with new, innovative things I could actually use.

Compared to any phone I've owned, the iPhone appears to be an innovative thing I can actually use. Maybe you mean to say, "When apple would surprise me with things I could actually afford".
  • Reply 14 of 66
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Is it me, or has the camera moved in this design?
  • Reply 15 of 66
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Now before the crap hits the fan, i.e., like, "Does anybody know when we can expect it to be available in Canada, UK, France, etc., and why not?" let's make it quite clear that each country has its own regulatory body which requires separate submissions, reviews and approvals.

What about Poland?

• Reply 16 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knotu View Post

Maybe you should go back and see who said it was June 11. I'm pretty sure there is no official announcement on the release date. It was just a rumored street date.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knotu View Post

I'm not sure if you're joking, but just in case: June 11th was never even hinted at by Apple. First they said "in June" then they clarified "late June". June 11th was speculated by some, given the opportunity to intro the device during WWDC keynote--as if it really needed a lot more keynote time.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Is it me, or has the camera moved in this design?

It's you.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple is Doomed!!

• Reply 20 of 66
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

It's you.

OK... I thought the camera was in the middle. The diagram shows it on the left (facing) side.