Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about an X.X.X release?

There are plenty of those.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Apple always makes a point update to previous version shortly after a new major version is released.

I think you mean "shortly before".
  • Reply 23 of 74
    This cat needs to be put down. For the love of all the tigers in the world please release leopard already.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    my ibook still doesn't recognize my Samsung SGH D900 after the 10.4.9 update although the phone is listed as supported by Sync as of 10.4.9.

• Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Might as well make it purely hexadecimal and call it 10.4.A.

You beat me to it!
  • Reply 26 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yet no one mistakes 10.4 for 1.4

I don't think that's necessarily applicable comparison, because a trailing zero after a decimal point adds nothing, but it does if it is before a decimal point. But even then, it never was meant to be treated as a simple number because it's not.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think that's necessarily applicable comparison, because a trailing zero after a decimal point adds nothing, but it does if it is before a decimal point. But even then, it never was meant to be treated as a simple number because it's not.

True, but how should a trailing zero be treated after two decimals? I guess I just don't understand why people think there is?or should be?a single digit limitation.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    We'll live without getting too involved in this thread peoples.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

Might as well make it purely hexadecimal and call it 10.4.A.

Wouldn't that be A.4.A then?
  • Reply 30 of 74
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    While fighting on the naming scheme, this sentence passed almost unnoticed:

Quote:

Apple may also tap the impending Tiger update to lend software support to an upcoming series of Mac hardware updates that will include refreshed MacBook Pro notebooks and redesigned 20- and 24-inch iMac all-in-one desktop systems.

I think it is quite important and if true, then a redesigned iMac should be out before Leopard is released. Also it seems that the new form will be not applied to the 17" model.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Wouldn't that be A.4.A then?

Yep. Then the next update becomes X.T.X GTS
  • Reply 32 of 74
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    For every person who sees 10.4.10 and thinks it's 10.4.1, there's one who'd look at 10.4.A and wonder if it predates 10.4.1. The general public doesn't understand software numbering and hasn't heard of hexadecimals.

Lets face it, the whole OS X numbering is seriously messed up. We're currently running "Mac oh ess ten ten point four point nine" There's no reason to repeat the ten.

If the product is MacOS then a version number 10.4.9 makes sense. If the product is MacOS X, then the version number should be 4.9.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Wouldn't that make it sound like a Canadian CB radio operator?

Thank you - best laugh this week...
  • Reply 34 of 74
    gwoodpeckergwoodpecker Posts: 367member
    Version ten comes after version nine, so it will be 10.4.10 and eventually 10.4.11. Why don't you people get that?

No magic numbering system, no hexadecimal system, just pure logic. End of story.

• Reply 35 of 74
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Thank you - best laugh this week...

A jokes are so passé here in Canada. As for the X.X.X comment, _that_ was brilliant! I almost ended up with ginger ale in my nose (seriously).

And what about the people who will confuse 10.4.10 with 2.4.2? With all this confusion, maybe Apple should just call it a service pack?

*ducks and covers*
  • Reply 36 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about an X.X.X release?

I guess it would be called OS XXX?
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

While fighting on the naming scheme, this sentence passed almost unnoticed:

I think it is quite important and if true, then a redesigned iMac should be out before Leopard is released. Also it seems that the new form will be not applied to the 17" model.

My thoughts entirely. How come people get so caught up on meaningless semantics that they miss what's really being said?

Who gives a monkey's what it's called, it's what it does that matters! (Cue apoplexy amongst politicians)

If 10.4.10 (or whatever) includes new functionality for new hardware, presumably originally intended for Leopard, that's the big news. It suggests:

- there are significant new capabilities in Leopard, which will require new hardware, and

- we will not have to wait for Leopard for the new hardware

Of course, this is peanuts compared to what the naming convention should be...\
  • Reply 38 of 74
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Wouldn't that make it sound like a Canadian CB radio operator?

That's definitely the best joke I've seen in these forums in a long time!
  • Reply 39 of 74
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Auxio,

I just got back from Toronto last week. I had never been there before. What a great city! I didn't make it out of downtown, but I had an amazing time and liked everything I saw.

It also doesn't hurt that the women there are smokin'!!!

• Reply 40 of 74
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

For every person who sees 10.4.10 and thinks it's 10.4.1, there's one who'd look at 10.4.A and wonder if it predates 10.4.1. The general public doesn't understand software numbering and hasn't heard of hexadecimals.

Lets face it, the whole OS X numbering is seriously messed up. We're currently running "Mac oh ess ten ten point four point nine tiger" [How could you forget the last part? -Sebastian] There's no reason to repeat the ten.

If the product is MacOS then a version number 10.4.9 makes sense. If the product is MacOS X, then the version number should be 4.9.

Yeah it is a bit screwy, I solved it for myself though. I just refer to OS X as "oh ess ten" and Mac OS X as "mac os x"

It's still better than Windows though, the OS on my HP is:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 Rollup 2

To make things worst, that's just an OEM version.

Sebastian