News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

In any event, this is great news for the millions of us that are just biting at the bullet to get it.

Not to be a pain, but...

To bite the bullet = To go ahead and do something painful or distasteful that you must or should do eventually.

To be chomping at the bit = To be waiting impatiently for something you are really excited about but are being held back from.

(I can't spell and my grammar aint that good, but I loves my idioms...)
  • Reply 22 of 66
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Not to be a pain, but...

To bite the bullet = To go ahead and do something painful or distasteful that you must or should do eventually.

To be chomping at the bit = To be waiting impatiently for something you are really excited about but are being held back from.

Thanks, was just gonna pull him up for that.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Not to be a pain, but...

No pain... anything that could alleviate the painful misspellings or idiomatic idiopathy would be a tremendous help.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPhone ready!!

Gladiator ready!!
  • Reply 25 of 66
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Lothar Schmidt also stated "Unfortunatetly the sample device was...um...lost...no...um...destroyed...yeah...des troyed...during testing and was unable to be returned to Apple..."

Vinea
  • Reply 26 of 66
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    The camera is in the same place. Final approval means Apple can now go into full production if the software has been completed. It'll take a month to ramp up production and get sufficient quantities into stores for the launch.

I wonder how many will sell the first day. I also wonder if yesterday's hoax that caused the stock to drop was created by someone who knew about today's FCC approval. There was a spike up today and the difference between yesterday's low and today's high at the moment is over 6 bucks.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    k2directork2director Posts: 194member
    Shucks, I was secretly hoping Apple would announce it had built 3G capabilities into the launch product. So much for that.

Still, I'm really excited to see that things are indeed moving forward. It's been a long, cold, hard winter waiting for this thing...
  • Reply 28 of 66
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Not to be a pain, but...

Not to be pedantic but the term is champing at the bit.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

What about Poland?

I would like to answer you, but my mother would probably roll over in her grave. I have to be careful; my ancestry is made up of from two developed countries, one underdeveloped, one underdeveloped but claims to be highly developed, two races, three nationalities and three religions. My wife family adds a couple of other nationalities as does my son, but only one race and one religion.

Needless to say, I never work, too many holidays. Except that the government forces me to be an atheist in order to put food on the table. Sorry, bubbe.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

Not to be a pain, but...

You are partially right. For the millions, it should have been 'champing at the bit', but for me, spending over $600 for a phone, is going to be quite painful. Not that I can't well afford it but my wife is going to cut my gonads off.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    bearbear Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You are partially right. For the millions, it should have been 'champing at the bit', but for me, spending over $600 for a phone, is going to be quite painful. Not that I can't well afford it but my wife is going to cut my gonads off.

Ahhh, so you are chomping at the bit to bite the bullet?
  • Reply 32 of 66
    kilraqkilraq Posts: 26member
    And lo, another requirement for armeggedon was struck. And the world did weep.

For the great battle was soon to be fought. With flaming DRM'ed Zunes in the diabolical hands of the hordes, and the iPhones glowing with a technological LED radiant light in the hands of the chosen few. Balmer at one hand, Ive's at the other.

And with a gloating confidence did the Gates attack, and the doors of digital distribution were never the same.

So saith the words of Job's.

Amen.

• Reply 33 of 66
    steinarsteinar Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

From the dictionary in your Macintosh:

chomp (or champ or chafe) at the bit

be restless and impatient to start doing something.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Hey Kasper and AI Gang,

Not sure if Mr. Steinfeld wants all his contact information made public
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bear View Post

Ahhh, so you are chomping at the bit to bite the bullet?

Be careful, it is "champing at the bit."

And thanks guys. Now that my sister-in-law knows, my wife is sure to find out, the pain has already begun.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steinar View Post

From the dictionary in your Macintosh:

chomp (or champ or chafe) at the bit

be restless and impatient to start doing something.

I believe it is 'champing at the bit' period.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    gmckenzigmckenzi Posts: 2member
    The only thing that sucks about seeing the frequency data is that we now see that the iPhone is only dual-band GSM set to North American frequencies. Which will be great for traveling around the USA and Canada, but will mean that the iPhone would be a paperweight for anyone who travels to Europe. I'm really surprised at this, given that tri-band and quad-band phones are common.

I don't want to have to pony up the bucks for an iPhone, and then on my next trip to Europe leave the iPhone at home and take along my Motorola...but according to the posted frequencies, that's just what I'll be doing.

UPDATE:

Okay, maybe I got my shorts in a knot too soon. I'm seeing chatter on other boards about the iPhone being quad-band, but that the FCC only tests North American frequencies -- thus, we only see the dual-band frequencies in the test data.

Gavin.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Champ is merely an older form of the word, in fact, that's basically the OED's definition, you have to look up chomp to get the meaning. I've never heard it used outside of the idiom. I think it makes more sense to use the idiom with the newer form, to use words that are actually used.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Wait, so you're saying that the FCC approved iPhone because of its bit-chomping (or champing) feature?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Champ is merely an older form of the word, in fact, that's basically the OED's definition, you have to look up chomp to get the meaning. I've never heard it used outside of the idiom. I think it makes more sense to use the idiom with the newer form, to use words that are actually used.

JeffDM, I have before me the New Webster, Oxford, Britannica, Canadian, Larrouse, and a couple more dictionaries. Only the Canadian has the word 'chomp' in it. The others show , 'champ' to bite and chew noisily, and list a second definition, "to show impatience."

In the Canadian dictionary, "Chomp' is exampled by, 'chomping on a cigar' as in chewing repeatedly, whereas 'champ' is exampled by, 'champ' at the bit' as in showing impatience at being held back.

As such, chomp doesn't appear to be an old form of champ.