How much do you expect to spend on your iPhone?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How much do you expect to spend the day you buy your iPhone? I'm sure that for many of us that will be the first day it's available. So, you walk into an Apple/AT&T store ready to get an iPhone with a 2-year contract. What's it going to cost you?

PLEASE NOTE: If you don't intend to buy an iPhone and aren't here to discuss the pricing of it, its accessories, and the AT&T plans, there's plenty of other threads where you can pre-complain about it.

I plan on getting the 4 GB version. That's $499. My guess is that AppleCare will be available for it, and I definitely plan on getting it. It's a first-gen device, and one I'll carry around all the time. I'm guessing the cost of AppleCare for iPhone will be $99-$169.

It looked like iPhone would ship with regular iPod headphones and a dock. They didn't specifically say it, but it only makes sense - I think Apple will want you to proudly display the docked iPhone instead of using an iPod-style cable. The "squeeze" headphones with an inline mic and call/hang up button were shown as an accessory. I'm guessing they'll cost $39-59. I probably won't want a pair right away.

The bluetooth headset was also shown as an accessory, and I'm guessing it will cost $99-129. Again, not a necessity for me right away.

There might be an Apple iPhone case as well. If so, it will cost around $39. I don't think I'll rush to get it.

I'm hopeful that most current iPod accessories will work with iPhone - chargers, universal FM transmitters, etc. so most people will either have those already, or they'll pick them up later. What does this come out to?

In my case, $648 (I live in Portland, OR, so there's no sales tax to be added). Depending on the iPhone model, the price of AppleCare, and the accessories you pick up, the total could go as high as $1,000.

I think AT&T will have "iPhone rate plans"; 2 or 3, perhaps. Apple will want to keep it as simple as selecting an iPod (if you exclude Nano and shuffle). An average phone plan with unlimited data transfer (and I don't think they'll offer limited data transfer plans for iPod) will probably be $60-$100/mo.

Anything I didn't think of? Do you think my price guesses are way off the mark? What all do you think will be included in the box?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    erm, i think you mean the 4gb version, there isnt a 2gb version
  • Reply 2 of 20
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    D'oh!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Zero, not buying one. iPhone nano here I come.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Zero, not buying one. iPhone nano here I come.

You plan on waiting until 2009?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    $200

(about 3 years from now by my guess)
  • Reply 6 of 20
    If you don't plan on buying an iPhone any time soon, please go feel superior in another thread. Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Tied in to a 2 year contract with Cingular (most likely an expensive plan including data charges), for $500 minimum, plus tax, I'm not convinced at all.

I want to buy an iPhone, but my previous dealings with Cingular's grossly incompetent customer service is REALLY holding me back.

If they'll sell it to me without the lock into the contract (even if it only works with Cingular, I'm fine) then I would buy the 4g for $500, as soon as I see that the touch typing is reliable enough to be worth it.

My prediction is that there will be at least two ridiculous complaints about the iPhone en masse: 1. The typing is unreliable. 2. It scratches.

My hope is for an iPhone without the cellular, ideally by January at the latest. If Apple doesn't produce such a thing by then, and the keyboard typing is reliable, I'll have to reevaluate my hatred for Cingular.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

You plan on waiting until 2009?

LOL, Apple may as well give up in this phone business if they do.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    we need to start a forum for "2nd best" you could get a contract for one year and use the time to think and see how things go. i'm not going to buy till its 3g so i protect myself. 2.5g has no future.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Yes, yes, I know. You'll wait until it's $99 and works without a phone plan. Oh, how foolish are we who will be using it until some time in late 2008 when you'll grace us with your purchase. Seriously, is every single post in this forum an opportunity for people to say why they WON'T buy an iPhone? Can I give you a list of all the devices I won't buy? Jeez. Let's focus on the topic, please.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

... Can I give you a list of all the devices I won't buy? ...

Well, I won't be buying that new Bentley, but I will buy an iPhone as quickly as I can. My only problem is that I will be away from home this Summer, including June. I may have to wait until I return in August.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what i mean is i don't want to be the first, i want to see what's happening, i want 3g and i plan on something about dec. we are talking about a $600-700 top end with apple care and accessories. come on, that's more than i spent for my corp computer first adopters will pave the way. this is some serious money i want to make sure it's the right time to buy. also many others are gulping hard at the price since many other very capable smart phones, yes not apple, go for 200

haste makes waste.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

what i mean is i don't want to be the first, i want to see what's happening, i want 3g and i plan on something about dec.

Here's the thing. AT&T and Apple have committed to World standards, not leading-edge communication technology for the sake of using leading-edge communications technology. They are going with Quad-band GSM and EDGE. They are not going to change anytime soon.

Quote:

we are talking about a $600-700 top end with apple care and accessories. ... this is some serious money ...

Yes, it is.

Quote:

haste makes waste.

Only if you can't use the new phone.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    imichaelimichael Posts: 9member
    I plan on purchasing the 8GB version. If there is AppleCare available, I would get that too.

I have a bluetooth headset, so I'll see if that works before buying an Apple one.

I'll DEFINITELY, be buying a case for it.

I'm not sure what it will add up to, but I'm hoping it would be under a grand.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    squall58squall58 Posts: 29member
    for me , it take me about $1100 ,iPhone+The "squeeze" headphones+The bluetooth headset +an Apple iPhone case +AppleCare+commerical converter for iPhone(xilisoft),

i like all there equip, but it is too dear~
  • Reply 16 of 20
    cloud167cloud167 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squall58 View Post

for me , it take me about $1100 ,iPhone+The "squeeze" headphones+The bluetooth headset +an Apple iPhone case +AppleCare+commerical converter for iPhone(xilisoft),

i like all there equip, but it is too dear~

for me, no need many useless things for iPhone. i find that AppleCare is a good couple,but i doubt that the qualtity of iPhone will be nice
  • Reply 17 of 20
    mhedgesmhedges Posts: 25member
    No one has factored into their cost calculations the bribe to the manager of the AT&T/Cingular store to get the phone...If each store gets 5 to 10 phones... I'm guessing the employees will pocket somewhere between 200 and 500 dollars per phone to allocate the phones..
  • Reply 18 of 20
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    [QUOTE=Mr. Me;1083248]Here's the thing. AT&T and Apple have committed to World standards, not leading-edge communication technology for the sake of using leading-edge communications technology. They are going with Quad-band GSM and EDGE. They are not going to change anytime soon.QUOTE]

Actually Apple did state that they will be making a 3G version for Europe.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    artguyartguy Posts: 7member
    My lovely wife has "authorized" the purchase of a 8GB iPhone for my birthday, which was in May. Of course it comes with one condition ---- I have to get her one too!

So I'll be springing for 2 phones. I'm going to go out on a limb and ASSUME there will be an AC adapter/charger included (not everyone is going to use this with their macbook/peecee laptop) so accessories will be limited to a case of some kind

I'm thinking this will be nice!

http://www.beyzacases.com/cat_iphone.cfm

Applecare can be purchased while the unit is under warranty, so I'll wait a few months for that purchase. So I guess we're looking at 599 x 2 - plus tax 5% in Massachusetts for a total of $1260.00 or so. I have a garmin nuvi 360 with bluetooth speakerphone which will take the place of a headset while driving.

Now all I need is for the things to be available before I go on vaction the 21st!!!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by artguy View Post

I'm going to go out on a limb and ASSUME there will be an AC adapter/charger included (not everyone is going to use this with their macbook/peecee laptop) so accessories will be limited to a case of some kind

I really don't think they'll include a charger. Personally I don't want them to - it would raise the price, and I have at least three iPod chargers in my cable box. I'm going to ASSUME that iPhone will work with those You can get them at outlet stores for $5, so it won't really add much to the overall cost.