News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Be careful, it is "champing at the bit."

And thanks guys. Now that my wife has seen this, the pain has already begun.

ignore the wife, grow some nuts
  • Reply 42 of 66
    jennygjennyg Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

JeffDM, I have before me the New Webster, Oxford, Britannica, Canadian, Larrouse, and a couple more dictionaries. Only the Canadian has the word 'chomp' in it. The others show , 'champ' to bite and chew noisily, and list a second definition, "to show impatience."

In the Canadian dictionary, "Chomp' is exampled by, 'chomping on a cigar' as in chewing repeatedly, whereas 'champ' is exampled by, 'champ' at the bit' as in showing impatience at being held back.

As such, chomp doesn't appear to be an old form of champ.

Older form, no; variant, yes. Merriam-Webster online has this entry:

Main Entry: chomp

Pronunciation: 'chämp, 'chomp

Function: verb

Etymology: alteration of champ

intransitive verb

1 : to chew or bite on something

2 : CHAMP 2 -- usually used in the phrase chomping at the bit

transitive verb : to chew or bite on

The unabridged Oxford English Dictionary, meanwhile, has this to say:

chomp

Formerly only dial. and U.S.

Now a widespread variant of CHAMP v. (esp. in senses 1-3).

Draw your own conclusions.

Anyway -- enough with the pedantry. I'm pretty sure lengthy dictionary quotes are not the best way to endear myself to anyone in a first post. *grin*
  • Reply 43 of 66
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    What if the champ chomped at the bit to chomp into the ear of his heavyweight opponent and champ on said earlobe 'til it bled. Would the champ then be chomping at the bit to champ a bit?

BAD thread. Go stand in the corner and think about what you did!

• Reply 44 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Gosh, for the first time, I am REALLY beginning to get excited about this thing -- I actually can't believe I am getting swept up by this hype.......

CC at the ready for the 8GB! (Hope they don't run out).

• Reply 45 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Just read this over on Forbes (dot) com:

Quote:

Apple asked that the FCC keep certain diagrams and an operational description of the phone confidential for 45 days.

• Reply 46 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just read this over on Forbes (dot) com:

No doubt that will be when the phone is released, or a couple of days after.

At that point, the phone will be taken apart anyway.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

I also wonder if yesterday's hoax that caused the stock to drop was created by someone who knew about today's FCC approval. There was a spike up today and the difference between yesterday's low and today's high at the moment is over 6 bucks.

Precisely. Bud Fox (or Mr. Beaks) must have been staking out the FCC garbage can.

Gecko (or Mortimer Duke) was short, so he sent the fake memo so he could cover before

the official announcement goosed AAPL stock.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Precisely. Bud Fox (or Mr. Beaks) must have been staking out the FCC garbage can.

Gecko (or Mortimer Duke) was short, so he sent the fake memo so he could cover before

the official announcement goosed AAPL stock.

I doubt it.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I doubt it.

I doubt if you would recognize a facetious post if it sat on your face and spun around.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe you should go back and see who said it was June 11. I'm pretty sure there is no official announcement on the release date. It was just a rumored street date.

And as we know, when Apple announces that a product is shipping in a particular month, they mean the END of that month.

So I'm expecting Leopard on October 31.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Will the iPhone work in France while I visit since I live in the States??
  • Reply 52 of 66
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Will the iPhone work in France while I visit since I live in the States??

It should, check with AT&T for roaming agreements with telcos in France. At the minimum phone calls, voice mail, and SMS should work. Check for roaming settings for GPRS and EDGE (2.xG stuff)

Quote:

Down to the last fracking transistor. But good call, start your engines.... 30-45 days to go. Not long now.

Apple Stock had a nice suuurge towards the end of Thursday PM with this news. The nVidia2008 Analyst Institute of SuperIntelligentNeverWrongPerdictions is modelling at least AAPL $120 by June 10th. <borat>verrry naaaicceee, very naaice</borat>
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmckenzi View Post

UPDATE:

Okay, maybe I got my shorts in a knot too soon. I'm seeing chatter on other boards about the iPhone being quad-band, but that the FCC only tests North American frequencies -- thus, we only see the dual-band frequencies in the test data.

Gavin.

Nevermind the chatter on other boards... apple.com specifically states that it's quad-band.

See... you scared me into looking it up!... I kinda plan on having the thing work in Amsterdam! Thats the whole reason I went with Cingular a year ago... for the GSM service!
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I doubt if you would recognize a facetious post if it sat on your face and spun around.

Not when you do it, apparently.

Since that very story is making the rounds, there is no reason to believe that you weren't taken in by it.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    This disclaimer...

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

found on the bottom of Apple's iPhone web pages on www.apple.com/iphone/, wonder when it will be changed?\
  • Reply 56 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Unless it's been 'structurally bonded'.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Lothar,

"I'm so happy, I could kiss you on the nuts."

"You wanna sue me? MOD EDITED"
  • Reply 58 of 66
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

"You wanna sue me? MOD EDITED"

ecking, I'm not quite sure what context you were attempting to create with that quote, but I'm fairly sure it's not appropriate. Please don't use derogatory terms for folk based on sexual orientation. Thank you.

Also: Tolkien used the term champ in "The Hobbit"

Miyamoto used the term Chomp in Super Mario Bros. 3.

The question is - who had more geek fu?
  • Reply 59 of 66
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

ecking, I'm not quite sure what context you were attempting to create with that quote, but I'm fairly sure it's not appropriate. Please don't use derogatory terms for folk based on sexual orientation. Thank you.

I think he was referring to where I got that quote: Henry Winkler in Arrested Development. He was the family's lawyer...
  • Reply 60 of 66
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    apple is making a cell phone?