Apple updates MacBook with faster chips, more memory

Comments

• Reply 121 of 164
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I think it is about time to simply say screw Apple and look at an alternative from HP or whomever. Immediately dump the MS operating system and install Linux.

I'm with you, in that I'm more than a bit disgusted with Apple and their ability or desire to bounce back and forth with this market manipulation. First they show some willingness to be proactive with the initial MB line even if it resulted in performance that in some ways was far from a MBP. Then the slip back into their old form of offering up grossly expensive outdated machines that seem to ignore the rest of the PC industry.

In this case it is all about the price tag and that price is way to high for outdated hardware.

Dave

That's the way I feel too. You don't even have to get rid of Vista...it's maturing quite nicely and it's simple enough to run side by side with Linux. I'm pro-Apple because Microsoft needs competition but I'm not interested in any of their computer hardware offerings right now. The new SR Lenovo R61 ThinkPads look good and there's a discrete graphics and 4 GB RAM option.
  • Reply 122 of 164
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

Has anyone seen if the retail Apple stores have the new MacBook?

Give a store a call and ask.
  • Reply 123 of 164
    gkorsgardgkorsgard Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Give a store a call and ask.

I will, it is only 730am in Seattle. Waiting for them to open.
  • Reply 124 of 164
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

I will, it is only 730am in Seattle. Waiting for them to open.

I just called my local, Eastern time zone Apple store. They have them in, but they were still unpacking them from the shipping boxes.
  • Reply 125 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just called my local, Eastern time zone Apple store. They have them in, but they were still unpacking them from the shipping boxes.

Thank you! I will try my local stores at lunch.
  • Reply 126 of 164
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

and the $1000 mac book should have a dvd-rw drive not a dvd/cd-rw as $500 - $600 laptops come with them.

Could you supply a reference and link?
  • Reply 127 of 164
    tiagontiagon Posts: 1member
    Will this macbook run Leopard ok? I am about to buy it, but I need to know that..
  • Reply 128 of 164
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Leopard will run fine. It'll run on g4 machines so you'll be ok.
  • Reply 129 of 164
    Run on a G4 machine? Hahahahhaha, it may work, but how useable will it be. Tiger is slow as hell on a G4 machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Leopard will run fine. It'll run on g4 machines so you'll be ok.

• Reply 130 of 164
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Well, regardless of whether one was 'disappointed' by the latest MacBook refresh, there's one group of people who are no doubt happy: Those trying to get a great deal on the old MacBooks. Amazon is positively blowing them out the door right now!

The entry-level MacBook is $105 off, plus a $75 rebate, for a total price of $919.

The mid-level MacBook is $150 off, plus a $75 rebate... total price is $1,074.

Definitely the best prices I've ever seen on MacBooks. And its not like you're taking a major hit to go with the old ones, since the new ones are basically the same thing.

The only significant diff is the 1GB RAM in the new MBs, but one can go online and pick up 1 GB of RAM for about $50, no problemo (which is far less than the Apple Store's embarrassingly overpriced '$175 for 1 more GB of RAM' upgrade ).

• Reply 131 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Run on a G4 machine? Hahahahhaha, it may work, but how useable will it be. Tiger is slow as hell on a G4 machine.

No, it isn't. What do you have, 256MB of RAM?

I run Tiger on an old iBook G4, only 800 MHz, and the OS is actually pretty responsive. I do have 640 MB of RAM, which is a lot for an iBook, but which isn't a lot these days.

• Reply 132 of 164
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

No, it isn't. What do you have, 256MB of RAM?

I run Tiger on an old iBook G4, only 800 MHz, and the OS is actually pretty responsive. I do have 640 MB of RAM, which is a lot for an iBook, but which isn't a lot these days.

I agree..... it works beautifully on an old 733 Mhz 1 GB G4 Powerbook (altho it is primarily used as an internet appliance by the kids).
  • Reply 133 of 164
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Tiger runs just fine at home on my G4-550 Pismo with 768mb ram. even FCP and DVDSP run well, i only notice the speed in rendering effects and encoding. on a 1GHz+ G4 with plenty of ram i would think Leopard will run well enough.
  • Reply 134 of 164
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

Where did you get this opinion or knowledge? Do you have a G4? I have a G4 466 Digital Audio (Jan. 2001) and Tiger runs better than any Mac operating system from the original OS 9.1 to Tiger. The one good thing I really like about Tiger is that it runs all my software that I've bought since January of 2001.
  • Reply 135 of 164
    vmwadevmwade Posts: 2member
    With rumors of 13" LED backlight screens and rumors of a subnotebook with a 13" screen, the MacBook update reminds me of 4 1/2 years ago when iBooks had a minor speed bump up to G3 800 Mhz in November. At the time, there were rumors that the iBooks would go G4. When another G3 class iBook bump occurred, I bought. Two months later, the 12" screen PowerBook was introduced at Mac World fitting nicely into the gap between iBooks and PowerBooks.

I'm wondering if the rumored subnotebook is something different than then rumored 13" LED notebook. Maybe in a month there will be the 13" MacBook Pro we have all been hoping for. If it has a real graphics card it would be excellent and it could fit right into the gap left vacant by the 12" PowerBook.

Regardless, at 4 1/2 years old, it is about time to update my iBook G3 800. Tiger's general features work fine on it but HD Video don't run at all. Besides, any new machine will look be a major improvement, even the latest MacBook.
  • Reply 136 of 164
    apparatusapparatus Posts: 78member
    I would buy a 13" MacBook Pro in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 137 of 164
    Ugh, I am in a bit of a situation. I am going to college next year and every student gets a new-ish Dell laptop. I however have really wanted to get a Macbook. I can use the Macbook but I will still have to pay and receive the Dell.

With this light update I'm thinking maybe I would be better off holding off on the Macbook, using the Dell for a while, and when it gets a real upgrade then I will go all out for the Macbook. I don't know what to do.
  • Reply 138 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john.outwater View Post

Ugh, I am in a bit of a situation. I am going to college next year and every student gets a new-ish Dell laptop. I however have really wanted to get a Macbook. I can use the Macbook but I will still have to pay and receive the Dell.

With this light update I'm thinking maybe I would be better off holding off on the Macbook, using the Dell for a while, and when it gets a real upgrade then I will go all out for the Macbook. I don't know what to do.

Depends on your budget and patience. There are some great deals on MacBooks over at Amazon right now, so if you want to save money, now's the time. If, on the other hand, you've gotta have the latest and greatest and are willing to wait (and pay more), then wait for the next upgrade, which will likely be sometime around September-October.

Not too hard to figure out, is it?

Btw, what horrid college makes you MANDATORILY buy a Dell laptop? o_0

• Reply 139 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apparatus View Post

I would buy a 13" MacBook Pro in a heartbeat!

That's pretty much what the 'subnotebook' Apple is working on is supposed to be. But you may have to wait awhile...

• Reply 140 of 164
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Too bad Apple chose -the third time in a row- to opt for a sooner Update at the cost of pathetic graphics performance. I really like the MacBook for all that it is, but the GMA 950 chip is really turning an excellent piece of hardware into a bunch of outdated and short-lived crap. GMA was already a bad choice when the original MB shipped, it's only gotten worse over the course of the last updates. And with Santa Rosa and the respective update to GMA being out on the market, Apple really made a bad decision again.

(And I personally think delaying Leopard in favor of the iPhone was a bad decision too).