Managing itunes library w/ AppleTV....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

I want to toss out an issue that I have and see if anyone has a solution. I just got an Apple TV - and have the usual good feelings after buying an Apple product (these good feelings vs. buyers remorse is the #1 key to Apple's success I think).

My problem is that I want to keep my main itunes library on my iMac and have the videos go to an external drive. I just got a 1 TB MyBook FW800 drive. I have kind-of done this by creating aliases to the external drive for "Movies", etc - but yet some videos (imports from EyeTV, etc) still go onto my iMac. I can manually move them over - but then I have to tell iTunes where I have put them.

This is one thing Apple needs to improve in iTunes - the ability to deal with multiple libraries and to be able to set preferences as to where movies, purchased songs, podcasts, etc. go.

I have thought about moving my entire iTunes library over to the external drive - but then when I don't have it connected (thanks to my trusty iLugger carrying case for the iMac), I won't have my music.

One thought is to keep the entire library over on the external and have something copy music only back to my iMac.

Another issue - it would be nice if playlists worked with videos. They only seem to work with music. I was wanting to set up a playlist of some RIPed videos for my 2 yr old girls and have it go for several hours. That was one reason I got the Apple TV - to keep from shuffling all of the DVDs.

Any thoughts ??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I totally agree that we need to choose the location where audio and video files get saved without having to create two separate libraries.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I have the exact same storage problems with my mbp which is now getting extremely full. Apple fix it in the next itunes please!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    daibachdaibach Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I totally agree that we need to choose the location where audio and video files get saved without having to create two separate libraries.

Change the iTunes preferences so that you don't have iTunes managing the files you add to the library. In the advanced preferences uncheck both "Keep iTunes Music folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder...".

You can then add music or video files that are stored anywhere to iTunes and it remembers their locations. I have my music stored on my MBP, but my videos all stored on an external drive. Works perfectly and only one iTunes library.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daibach View Post

Change the iTunes preferences so that you don't have iTunes managing the files you add to the library. In the advanced preferences uncheck both "Keep iTunes Music folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder...".

You can then add music or video files that are stored anywhere to iTunes and it remembers their locations. I have my music stored on my MBP, but my videos all stored on an external drive. Works perfectly and only one iTunes library.

Thanks, but all of my audio files are ripped from CDs. Any video is from the iTS. All I wanna do is keep them on separate drives.