News Flash: Apple iPhone receives FCC approval

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

This disclaimer...

"This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained."

found on the bottom of Apple's iPhone web pages on www.apple.com/iphone/, wonder when it will be changed?\

Is that *text* required by the FCC, or is it just something to stop people from asking about it? I think the wording is pretty dumb, and the notice seems unnecessary. I think all that is necessary is a shorter notice saying that it's scheduled for release in June. I don't think anyone cares about the particulars of why or how.

I wonder if it's also going to get other regulatory certifications before release? Even if it's only sold in the US, I think the likelihood will be that a lot of them will be brought overseas, even just during tourism. I guess it can't be used unless it is sold as unlocked.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iPhone made top of the national morning news (re: FCC approval) this morning. When's the last time that happened for Motorola or Nokia. Wow.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is that *text* required by the FCC, or is it just something to stop people from asking about it? I think the wording is pretty dumb, and the notice seems unnecessary. I think all that is necessary is a shorter notice saying that it's scheduled for release in June. I don't think anyone cares about the particulars of why or how.

I wonder if it's also going to get other regulatory certifications before release? Even if it's only sold in the US, I think the likelihood will be that a lot of them will be brought overseas, even just during tourism. I guess it can't be used unless it is sold as unlocked.

It's required.

It's similar to the disclaimer made in ads for financial institutions.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

iPhone made top of the national morning news (re: FCC approval) this morning. When's the last time that happened for Motorola or Nokia. Wow.

Don't be so impressed. When Moto had their first cell phone, there was just as much excitment.

Once Apple has 50 different models out at the same time, as the big cell manufacturers do, then no one will take notice of a new model from Apple either. Though there was plenty of press about the RaZR when if came out.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I would like to answer you, but my mother would probably roll over in her grave. I have to be careful; my ancestry is made up of from two developed countries, one underdeveloped, one underdeveloped but claims to be highly developed, two races, three nationalities and three religions. My wife family adds a couple of other nationalities as does my son, but only one race and one religion.

Needless to say, I never work, too many holidays. Except that the government forces me to be an atheist in order to put food on the table. Sorry, bubbe.

I think you might have misunderstood me, I was making fun of George Bush, not Poland. During the presidential debates, he acted aghast when John Kerry didn't mention Poland when talking about the Iraq coalition. Bush asked really sarcastically "What about Poland?"
  • Reply 66 of 66
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

I think you might have misunderstood me, I was making fun of George Bush, not Poland. During the presidential debates, he acted aghast when John Kerry didn't mention Poland when talking about the Iraq coalition. Bush asked really sarcastically "What about Poland?"

Hi blue2kdave,

I didn't take you seriously or had any thoughts of malice of your part. In fact, I am rather amiss that I or my geopolitical class didn't associate your reference to Bush. Unfortunately, it is too late to change their marks.