Apple crowds out AT&T in iPhone advertising pick

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Love how you generalize. Guess you must think I'm evil. I work in Advertising.

Bwahahahha. Evil? (Dr. Evil pose)

w00master

I work in Ad Specialties...

(mute silence)... (Mini-Me pose)
  • Reply 22 of 54
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Demonstrating the level of influence it has in the final days before the iPhone rollout, Apple will see its favorite advertising firm TBWAChiatDay take control of marketing the device, pushing aside AT&T's regular choice.

Huh? AppleInsider, are you saying that AT&T will be using TBWAChiatDay because Apple asked them to? Otherwise this story makes no sense.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Apple's opinion has swayed AT&T in the iPhone launch. Although BBDO is AT&T's preferred advertiser for its phones and services, the ad agency's connection to the cellular provider was reportedly not enough to avoid the switch to a different contractor.

Yup, that's what you are saying. OK, that is indeed a surprise.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    "...Apple's opinion has swayed AT&T in the iPhone launch. Although BBDO is AT&T's preferred advertiser for its phones and services, the ad agency's connection to the cellular provider was reportedly not enough to avoid the switch to a different contractor."

this story seems a little obvious. why would apple change agencies just because APPLES phone needs to be marketed. its not AT&T's call, its Apples ball, AT&T just got invited to the game. this story is like reporting on who takes what in their coffee.

well actually, that would of been more of a story back in steves experimental days. "excuse me, can i get a cup of coffee and two drops of liquid acid, hold the cream and sugar".
  • Reply 25 of 54
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    this is really not news at all. i think this is more of an announcement that apple isn't going to do any co-op ads with at&t and is instead choosing to use all the money themselves to control the ads. apple can't control what at&t does with its ad dollars. if at&t wants to put money against a campaign for the iphone, i'm sure they could.

for the record, bbdo is also a good agency. the "what's on your powerbook" and original "get a macintosh" campaigns were both created by bbdo.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    For Apple it's a smart move. They get the agency they're used to, and will craft a message consistent with other Apple products.

For AT&T it's a smart move. If Apple wants to pay the $Millions$ for an ad campaign, why not let them? I'm sure AT&T is paying for a small part, but doubt it's much. This is obviously Apple's baby and AT&T is just letting them run with it.

Makes sense all around.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dhaknin View Post

http://article15.150m.com/fzi2.html

Yo, Admins, can you ban this user, please?
  • Reply 29 of 54
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Sorry Appleinsider but that's a poorly written, and slightly misleading post, considering the AdAge article.

"Demonstrating the level of influence it has in the final days before the iPhone rollout"

"has won out in the contest"

"a potentially decisive blow was said to be the firm's "Hello" ad

Were we reading the same site?
  • Reply 30 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I'm not sure why the choice of ad agency is of interest. To me, that's about as interesting as knowing who supplies the copper for the circuit boards. I know there's more to it than that, the ads are a lot higher profile. I'm not sure if Apple's recent string of ads are all that great anyway. In some respects, the ads with Hodgeman/Long kind of backfired for a lot of people and lowered Apple's reputation in some countries. Someone didn't account for cultural differences here, it looked like an attack ad series to some cultures.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    There was never a contest, Jobs wanted TBWA/Chiat/Day, and he got what he wanted as always. There was a quote along the lines of "Steve Jobs believes market research is looking in the mirror and asking himself what he wants." I guarantee you that if there was a "contest" it was only in the minds of AT&T execs, not Jobs. You are talking about a guy who will physically take a contract and throw it in the trash if he doesn't like it. When he wanted to work for Atari, he sat there and told them to hire him or call the police because he wasn't leaving. This is part of what makes him great. I think that people who deal with him already realize the strength of his convictions and would rather just give up rather than fight against him and lose anyway.

Other than that, some of the best ads of all time have been made by TBWA/Chiat/Day, and definitely the best computer/electronics ads. From 1984 to Think Different to the iPod ads, these ads are amazing and have created huge amounts of secondary buzz around the products.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Steve Puts the A in AT&T!

Actually that would be the Fonze
  • Reply 33 of 54
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

There was never a contest, Jobs wanted TBWA/Chiat/Day, and he got what he wanted as always. There was a quote along the lines of "Steve Jobs believes market research is looking in the mirror and asking himself what he wants." I guarantee you that if there was a "contest" it was only in the minds of AT&T execs, not Jobs. You are talking about a guy who will physically take a contract and throw it in the trash if he doesn't like it. When he wanted to work for Atari, he sat there and told them to hire him or call the police because he wasn't leaving. This is part of what makes him great. I think that people who deal with him already realize the strength of his convictions and would rather just give up rather than fight against him and lose anyway.

Other than that, some of the best ads of all time have been made by TBWA/Chiat/Day, and definitely the best computer/electronics ads. From 1984 to Think Different to the iPod ads, these ads are amazing and have created huge amounts of secondary buzz around the products.

If IBM had handed me 100+ Pages of Lawyerese I'd toss it too.

Fortunately his market research these days amounts to more than just looking in the mirror every day, he's changed since the exile.

Sebastian
  • Reply 34 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the Beatles View Post

this story seems a little obvious. why would apple change agencies just because APPLES phone needs to be marketed. its not AT&T's call, its Apples ball, AT&T just got invited to the game. this story is like reporting on who takes what in their coffee.

No, it should be ATT's call.

We've already been through this. Why don't you go back and read some of the posts?
  • Reply 35 of 54
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Given how much they're banking on iPhone to be their next billion dollar baby, they pick the ad agency one month from product launch?

I suspect this decision was made months ago and is just now coming to light.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, it should be ATT's call.

We've already been through this. Why don't you go back and read some of the posts?

Ah, OK. I read the posts. Why "should" it be AT&T's call again?

Because that's the way it's always been? This is Apple's product and a HUGE product. Steve Jobs isn't going to give up control of the advertising, just because it may have typically been done that way in the past....or with other phones.

The article clearly says that they will be advertising the device. What did you mean by "the entire project"?
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Ah, OK. I read the posts. Why "should" it be AT&T's call again?

Because that's the way it's always been? This is Apple's product and a HUGE product. Steve Jobs isn't going to give up control of the advertising, just because it may have typically been done that way in the past....or with other phones.

The article clearly says that they will be advertising the device. What did you mean by "the entire project"?

Despite all of the hoopla, phones are just meant to get one to sign on with a service.

The concept has always been for good reason, for the cell provider to advertise that they have a "hot" phone to go with that service.

Normally, most phones have been available for most providers, though not always at first. So the provider advertises that they have that "hot" phone, and look at the advantages you will get by coming with us.

At the same time, the phone maker, if it has a "hot" phone, advertises that phone in tandem, to keep the phone in people's face.

You must remember the "Only With Moto" ads? Samsung did the same thing when they first came out with the i300 Palmphone.

BUT, it's the carriers that sell 90% of these phones, and so they do the heavy lifting.

Most people don't change carriers for a phone, except for unusual circumstances.

This time it's different. ONLY ATT will be carrying the phone, so one would expect that they would certainly heft the expense, and direction, for the ads. Then Apple would do some of their own as well.

But, Apple is apparently insisting that it's the phone that will sell, not the provider, and so they won the right to control the ads—so far.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

This time it's different. ONLY ATT will be carrying the phone, so one would expect that they would certainly heft the expense, and direction, for the ads. Then Apple would do some of their own as well.

Don't forget about the Apple retail stores. I expect they will be storing and selling a much higher quantity than the AT&T retail outlets.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't forget about the Apple retail stores. I expect they will be storing and selling a much higher quantity than the AT&T retail outlets.

Well, sure. But, remember that they will be selling ATT service plans with the phone, so it just goes to count as ATT network sales.

Apple will be acting as a reseller of ATT's product, unless you will have to go back to ATT to get the plan, which would be an impossible situation.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Most people don't change carriers for a phone, except for unusual circumstances.

Don't you think this is one of those unusual circumstances?

Quote:

But, Apple is apparently insisting that it's the phone that will sell, not the provider, and so they won the right to control the ads?so far.

From reading the posts regarding the iPhone over the last several months, I agree with Apple. I don't see anyone getting all excited about *any* phone company's service. But people are having wet dreams about this phone.

I just think it is entirely appropriate and expected, that Apple will be handling the advertising for the iPhone.