Macbook Pro Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    i don't want the design to change dramatically, I like the way the MBPs look...much more attractive than anything else on the market by far!!
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Hey eveyone , I've just read that , the new Mac book pro will be released next week on tuesday , just like the MB..

What do you think about that?

Does anyone has information about such things...
  • Reply 23 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

My question is how exactly will we know if they went with the Santa Rosa?

If the MacBook Pro has an 800 MHz front side bus, it's Santa Rosa. If it has "Robson" flash memory boot accelleration, it's Santa Rosa, if they have the Intel Mobile 965 Express chipset (codenamed "Crestline"), it's Santa Rosa.

People in this thread (seemingly prompted by the original poster) seem confused as to what Santa Rosa is.

The original poster is implying that it refers to the CPUs; it does not. The CPUs are still Meroms; Santa Rosa is the codename for the latest Centrino platform. Strictly speaking, the MacBook Pros will not have Santa Rosa, as they do not use the whole Centrino platform chipset. They will use the good bit though - the Mobile 965 Express chipset with lower overall power consumption and higher front-side bus speed.

What I'm expecting in the next update (looking like it'll be at WWDC):
    • 2.2 & 2.4 GHz Merom CPUs (possibly even 2.6 at the top)

• Mobile 965 Express motherboard chipset

• L.E.D. backlight on 15"

• Magnetic latch, a la MacBook

• Easier hard-drive replacement, a la MacBook

• 2 GB standard RAM

• 160 GB standard HDD

• Faster optical drives on 15" (no Blu-ray or HD-DVD options, though)

• Radeon X1700 or hopefully HD 2400XT/2600XT graphics card

• Reply 24 of 73
    thx 1138thx 1138 Posts: 16member
    I'd bet there's a way to fit two HDs in the 17" MBP.

Could be formatted in RAID or just as extra storage.

THAT would be sweet!
  • Reply 25 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

I'd bet there's a way to fit two HDs in the 17" MBP.

Could be formatted in RAID or just as extra storage.

THAT would be sweet!

I believe the "extra" space in the 17" over the 15" is used for a larger battery, which is just as well because the screen and faster CPU use more power. Making way for a second HDD would probably give you somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the current battery life.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marcoetpolo View Post

Hey eveyone , I've just read that , the new Mac book pro will be released next week on tuesday , just like the MB..

What do you think about that?

Does anyone has information about such things...

that would be nice for sure...most thoughts are leaning towards june but hey ho...all good regardless!
  • Reply 27 of 73
    anorakanorak Posts: 4member
    What do you guys think the chances of the MacBook Pro update (the one coming very soon) having the LED upgrade are?
  • Reply 28 of 73
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anorak View Post

What do you guys think the chances of the MacBook Pro update (the one coming very soon) having the LED upgrade are?

I would say the chances of the 15" coming with the LED update are pretty high, probobaly a 90% chance. The 17 inch is low, probably 25%.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    stevegtastevegta Posts: 75member
    I agree with MacSuperiority when it comes to a new case enclosure. I think they'll introduce one this update or the next regardless of any hardware changes. The current case design is too old.

Personally I'm leaning towards the black that is on the back of the iPhone: http://images.appleinsider.com/event...roto-mw-25.jpg or something else iphone-ish.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGTA View Post

I agree with MacSuperiority when it comes to a new case enclosure. I think they'll introduce one this update or the next regardless of any hardware changes. The current case design is too old.

Personally I'm leaning towards the black that is on the back of the iPhone: http://images.appleinsider.com/event...roto-mw-25.jpg or something else iphone-ish.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think it'll happen this time specifically? What is it about this update that would be cause for such a major change? I see no reason at this specific time. I won't say it'll never happen, or anything, because it wouldn't surprise me if eventually it did, but I don't tihnk it'll happen now, maybe with a refresh in October with Leopard. Then I could see it. But that's just me.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    wonder how this stuff thats just come up about screens will affect the MBPs now...
  • Reply 32 of 73
    stevegtastevegta Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Out of curiosity, what makes you think it'll happen this time specifically? What is it about this update that would be cause for such a major change? I see no reason at this specific time. I won't say it'll never happen, or anything, because it wouldn't surprise me if eventually it did, but I don't tihnk it'll happen now, maybe with a refresh in October with Leopard. Then I could see it. But that's just me.

I would guess either this update or the next because the current case design is very old. I do agree with you that it would be more likely around another big release (such as leopard).
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGTA View Post

I would guess either this update or the next because the current case design is very old. I do agree with you that it would be more likely around another big release (such as leopard).

My point is that the design may be old, but it's worked for them, very well; why change it all of a sudden? However, as I said Leopard is probably the best bet for a new design. It appears as if it's going to be the most major OS change since going from OS 9 to OS X. If it doesn't happen then, don't expect it any time soon thereafter.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

If it's any consolation, the lead times on the MacBook Pros went from 1-3 days to 5-7 days on the online Apple Store for Education Institutions. As I have pointed out in the past, the spike in the lead times for colleges and K-12 schools looking to buy is usually a precusor to pending product updates.

The interesting thing is, it's only on the 15" models, the 17" is still at 1-3 days. I'd say that's probably a good sign there's LED displays coming.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    I feel like if they were just going to bump the MBP, they would do it pre-WWDC like the MacBook. No point in wasting any time on it. Plus the current MB is way too close now to the MBP.

I feel like we should see something pretty decent. Or at least I am hoping. 2.2 and 2.4? Forget it, I will probably just buy a MB and a mini instead then.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Options I wish Apple would offer for the next MBP update:

Blu-ray drive

more powerful graphics options

an 8-bit backlit LCD

When an option is offered, the battery life tradeoff should be mentioned.

For those of us who do photo editing on our MBPs, the option for true 24-bit color would be nice. When you see Apple use the phrase "support for millions of colors," you know it's only a 6-bit display only capable of displaying 16.2m *dithered* colors, not true 8-bt/color 16.7m colors. It'd be nice if they could at least be honest about it instead of misleading.

Apple should offer the 8-bit option and state that it'll be a slower display. Many of us would be willing to pay the extra money to get the extra quality.

It'd be nice to have some modern graphics to go with the new displays. Something powerful from ATi/AMD or nVidia. Something like the Ati Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600, for example.

I'd love a new case design. Any chance the new patent app for a thinner bonded case could apply to the MBP? Hope it isn't just for the thin 'Book in the fall.

Maybe the new MBP will be shown at WWDC and ship before the end of June. If it's simply announced in a PR on a Tuesday, it won't be much of an update. I'd sure like to see Robson put into practice.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Options I wish Apple would offer for the next MBP update:

Blu-ray drive

more powerful graphics options

an 8-bit backlit LCD

When an option is offered, the battery life tradeoff should be mentioned.

For those of us who do photo editing on our MBPs, the option for true 24-bit color would be nice. When you see Apple use the phrase "support for millions of colors," you know it's only a 6-bit display only capable of displaying 16.2m *dithered* colors, not true 8-bt/color 16.7m colors. It'd be nice if they could at least be honest about it instead of misleading.

Apple should offer the 8-bit option and state that it'll be a slower display. Many of us would be willing to pay the extra money to get the extra quality.

It'd be nice to have some modern graphics to go with the new displays. Something powerful from ATi/AMD or nVidia. Something like the Ati Mobility Radeon? HD 2600, for example.

I'd love a new case design. Any chance the new patent app for a thinner bonded case could apply to the MBP? Hope it isn't just for the thin 'Book in the fall.

Maybe the new MBP will be shown at WWDC and ship before the end of June. If it's simply announced in a PR on a Tuesday, it won't be much of an update. I'd sure like to see Robson put into practice.

16.2m / or / 16.7m colors... ahhh HUGE difference...
  • Reply 38 of 73
    ATI says the new 2000-series GPUs are shipping in laptops "beginning in late May" ... without a CPU update though (a decent one, which is a ways off) that could still make the update OK for pre-WWDC announcement.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

16.2m / or / 16.7m colors... ahhh HUGE difference...

:::sigh:::

You don't get it. A 6-bit display is only capable of showing 262k real colors. The rest are dithered. If you look at a gradient, you'll see banding. Look at an 8-bit/color display and you won't. It's quite noticeable.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

I feel like if they were just going to bump the MBP, they would do it pre-WWDC like the MacBook. No point in wasting any time on it. Plus the current MB is way too close now to the MBP.

I feel like we should see something pretty decent .

I concur. If it were just a speed bump Apple would have upped the MBP before the MB.