Please help me with a WMA player and keyboard utility!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello!

iTunes does not play WMA files and I need to remap some of the keys on my keyboard. I searched on MacUpdate but couldn't find even a single application for either purpose.

So, I need a good music player for Mac OS X that handles WMA and preferably the other formats such as OGG as well and I need a keyboard utility.

VLC media player does play WMA and even QuickTime does so with the help of Flip4Mac, but neither is a music player and management application like iTunes or Windows Media Player (on Windows). Please do not suggest WMP for Mac because I rarely come across applications that suck as much as this one does.

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    EasyWMA is a $10 shareware app which can convert your files to a format which iTunes supports.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    But I don't want to convert my songs. I want to play them as is.

And what about the keyboard utility? Isn't there something by default like the character mapper in Windows Vista?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

But I don't want to convert my songs. I want to play them as is.

And what about the keyboard utility? Isn't there something by default like the character mapper in Windows Vista?

You're out of luck then.

And yes there is a Keyboard Utility, I've heard of one anyways but I forgot what it was called. You can try this.

Sebastian
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Why? Isn't there something for Mac OS X like the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack for Windows?

This is unbelievable. For an operating system that is near perfect, this is a huge flaw.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Why? Isn't there something for Mac OS X like the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack for Windows?

This is unbelievable. For an operating system that is near perfect, this is a huge flaw.

No it's not, it's a "flaw" with iTunes if you can even call it that as it's not any different on Windows. You can add Components to Quicktime which is what powers iTunes, but that doesn't mean iTunes will agree to let you shove a bunch of WMAs in it.

If you want my personal opinion just convert the music to AAC, I find it to be far superior to anything else except Lossless.

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

There is the Perian codec suite.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Does not work with iTunes though.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You can try this hint:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...60917040944927

I'm not a fan of WMA either. I have actually very rarely come across it in my travels too. All I ever see online are AAC, MP3, ra sometimes ogg but it's been a very long time since I saw a wma file. I know you might not want to convert them but I would also recommend it. If you want the best cross-platform compatibility, MP3 is hard to beat.

For keyboard remapping, I use this program:

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

It might be overkill as it does more than remapping but it's a handy program. You can even run Applescripts or shell scripts from your key bindings. I use it for my media keys on my PC keyboard so I can control itunes when my screen is off.