Question Regarding Games with MacBooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was wondering, I know there has been many topics about this, although most of them rather old [5+ months] but does anyone know if you can run Counter Strike Source smootly on a MacBook with 2.16 ghz core 2 duo, 2 gigs of ram, and the 950 integrated graphics? Id really like to know because im trying to decide if I want a macbook or some other notebook. I do not want the Macbook for hardcore gaming, just I want it to be able to handle something like CSS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scky View Post

I was wondering, I know there has been many topics about this, although most of them rather old [5+ months] but does anyone know if you can run Counter Strike Source smootly on a MacBook with 2.16 ghz core 2 duo, 2 gigs of ram, and the 950 integrated graphics? Id really like to know because im trying to decide if I want a macbook or some other notebook. I do not want the Macbook for hardcore gaming, just I want it to be able to handle something like CSS.

you might be able to if you lower your graphics a lot a lot. the integrated card doesn't work to well with games like that. but for sure, it will play cs 1.6
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

To be honest, if you are talking about Valve's Source engine, even on lower settings, that is a fairly modern and demanding GPU. The GMA950 would not be reasonably able to handle it. You would need a discrete graphics card, at the level of MacBookPro Mobility Radeon X1600, or if you are going for a PC notebook, minimum Moblity Radeon X1600 or GeForce Go 7300 etc.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

All the source games play and I've played Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 right through on a Mac Mini. I've also played Counter-Strike Source. I wouldn't recommend it. You have to put the directX level down to 7 because the games crash otherwise. Once you get the dxlevel down and the quality low enough, it can play quite smoothly but it's not a great experience compared to playing on a good card as you miss all the nice shading and reflections.

I actually played them using Crossover but they seemed less stable installing natively in Windows. If you already had a Macbook or Mini, I would recommend you to get Half-Life 2 (not EP1) or CSS as long as you were comfortable with lower quality graphics but for buying a machine, I would not recommend a machine with a GMA for those games. If you can, aim for a refurb Macbok Pro, which you can sometimes get for slightly more than a Macbook.

Here's a list of some other games that are playable or not:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=70500