iPhone to be available at 2000 store fronts on launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    imichaelimichael Posts: 9member
    So for those here planning to buy an iPhone, how are you going to go about getting it?

Apple store, AT&T store, on-line?

If you are going to a store, are you going to camp out early?

I was planning on going to an AT&T store near me. It's not in a mall, or in a major attraction area, so I was (wishfully) thinking not many people would be there when it opens.

Hoping an hour early would suffice.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have to signup for a 2-year contract with AT&T or extend your curent Cingular/AT&T contract by two years. This will require a signature so it's unlikely that you will be able to use a digital signature to purchase the phone online or use a voice verification for a phone purchase.

At least, that is how I understood it.

I would be quite shocked -- and disappointed -- if Apple couldn't find a workaround for this.

Given that they are selling the phone in the Apple Store (surely, the sales staff there aren't mobile subscription salespeople), I would have to assume that they will find something analogous online.

Otherwise, there would have tobe some sort of a caveat on Apple's website by now. Indeed, the iPhone web page at Apple.com now says "Visit the Apple Store online (1-800-MY-APPLE) or at retail locations." (Obviously this site has been updated, since the FCC caveat has disappeared).
  • Reply 23 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMichael View Post

So for those here planning to buy an iPhone, how are you going to go about getting it?

Apple store, AT&T store, on-line?

If you are going to a store, are you going to camp out early?

I was planning on going to an AT&T store near me. It's not in a mall, or in a major attraction area, so I was (wishfully) thinking not many people would be there when it opens.

Hoping an hour early would suffice.

I'm going to walk into an AT&T retail outlet. If that doesn't work I'll have them call other outlets in the area to see who still has a few iPhones left. If they doesn't pan out, I'll drive the 2 hours to my Apple Store.

I'd much rather do the transaction online or over the phone but I really don't see that happening as I'm not currently an AT&T customer.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:

You have to signup for a 2-year contract with AT&T or extend your curent Cingular/AT&T contract by two years. This will require a signature so it's unlikely that you will be able to use a digital signature to purchase the phone online or use a voice verification for a phone purchase.

At least, that is how I understood it.

Since when have you not been able to buy a Cell phone with contract online?

Steve
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas View Post

Since when have you not been able to buy a Cell phone with contract online?

Steve

Rhetoric aside, I am not aware that one can sign up with a new carrier over the phone.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Rhetoric aside, I am not aware that one can sign up with a new carrier over the phone.

I signed up for my first cellphone ever (with AT&T) online. If I remember correctly, they mailed me some forms to sign which I had to return within 30 days or risk having the plan dropped. I'm not sure about signing up over the phone, but my intuition says that this is possible as well.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I signed up for my first cellphone ever (with AT&T) online. If I remember correctly, they mailed me some forms to sign which I had to return within 30 days or risk having the plan dropped. I'm not sure about signing up over the phone, but my intuition says that this is possible as well.

That would be cool. I have no interest in driving around all day to various AT&T stores looking for one with a few iPhones to sell me, or driving a couple hours to my nearest Apple Store.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:

You can sign up with ANY cell phone carrier online. It's no rhetoric and they have been doing it for years. You can do it at amazon.com also and probably 100s of resellers.

Steve
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMichael View Post

Is the consensus here that there will be people camped out to get the iphone?

I just didn't see that happening. I would think most of the campers for PS3 were under the age of 30. I have no proof of that. I'm 34 and I have a PS3, but I didn't camp out for it.

A friend of mine did, he is 21. And he said most of the people their were in this age group.

What I'm trying to say is, I didn't think the market age for the Iphone would be 17-25.

Not just because of the price, but because of the phone itself.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I don't see an 18 year old wanting this phone. Unless of course, he/she is an Apple fan.

Your thoughts?

I would have to say you are wrong. I asked my daughter the other day who is 14 in 8th grade if she heard of the Iphone. Her reply was it was the buzz around the school and her friends were talking about it. She said several of her friends are going to get one. So being an old fart I said sure I bet the parents are not going to pony up for these phones. She then said Doh, you know summer is when us kids get most of our money to buy the things we want that the parents say (you can only have it if you pay for it.)

She also said it was important socially to be able to show your friends the cool stuff you have the first day of school in September. So I dusted off my old brain and thought back to the high school days. Yes, kids were spending lots to look cool and to have cool car stereos, etc. Personally, I always had money for what ever I wanted in High School as I worked odd and end jobs from time to time to pick up cash. And I did purchase a very expensive car stereo. (sometimes it is better to buy what you think is cool and all they really want is a phone that plays Itunes)

I checked the census website and found over 16 million kids in High School. So even if only one out of 20 can scrape up the cash for one of the coolest items a kid could have when they return to school in September then that is quite a few kids in line.

Estimates, I saw was Apple could get maybe 1 million phones built by release day. If thats true and 2000 locations then each location could only have 500 phones. Chances are each location will have like 200 phones with the rest in warehouses ready to be delivered to the stores that run out. I expect many stores to be telling people the phones are not in stock by the end of the first day of the release as they are waiting for more phones to be delivered.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    The last time I bought a phone (my now-haggard Treo 600 (which is getting stomped on as soon as I get my iPhone)) it was when I switched to Verizon. New phone, 2-year contract... and I did it all over the phone.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    Quote:

Apple has been pretty good with supply and demand over the previous years. I think the AT&T stores will be have a small number of unit compared to the Apple Stores but will have new supplies coming in almost daily to meet needs. Then again, officially there is no waiting list allowed through Apple or AT&T so the extra-nerdy may give up a night of WoW ensure an iPhone by camping outside.

Previous reports have shown a large interest among high schoolers for the iPhone. The question is how many can afford it and are willing to shell out the money for one?

For the record, I'm buying 3 iPhone ASAP. One for me, one for a friend, and one for my brother. Yes, I'm also going to be paying for three 2 year contracts. I hope I get some sort of family deal out of that.

Apple has been totally SHITTY with supply and demand over the years. What are you talking about? I am getting an iPhone when it comes out...but that's assuming I can get one at all. T

Then of course I have to get out of my VZW contract. I don't have a text plan so I think I can use that against since they changed the fees without my approval. There is a lot of talk about this right now...that people without text plans can get out if they want to.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Apple has been totally SHITTY with supply and demand over the years.

I've purchased a good del of Apple products the day?or week?they were available. The last time I had an issue was with the 1G iPod Mini.

What issues are you referring to?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

I've purchased a good del of Apple products the day?or week?they were available. The last time I had an issue was with the 1G iPod Mini.

What issues are you referring to?

Are you kidding? Really, you are...right? Until the last year or two, Apple took billions in backorders. It's been getting better, but it's one of their main problems, especially when a new product was announced. In the New Steve Jobs Era, it began with the PMG4 debacle and went from there, especially with the G4 products.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Are you kidding? Really, you are...right? Until the last year or two, Apple took billions in backorders. It's been getting better, but it's one of their main problems, especially when a new product was announced. In the New Steve Jobs Era, it began with the PMG4 debacle and went from there, especially with the G4 products.

No, I'm obviously not. Over the past 3 years, I've purchased dozens of machines and various other Apple items and have had ONLY ONE item, the afore mentioned 1G iPod mini, that was not in stock.

Prior to 3-5 years ago I did encounter several issues.

Either I was very lucky or you were very unlucky. No need to get worked up about it.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    The 1G iPod Nano was in very short supply when it first showed up in late 2005. I had to call the LA Apple stores daily to see if they received new shipments... but they did set up a call list for people who wanted one.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

No, I'm obviously not. Over the past 3 years, I've purchased dozens of machines and various other Apple items and have had ONLY ONE item, the afore mentioned 1G iPod mini, that was not in stock.

Prior to 3-5 years ago I did encounter several issues.

Either I was very lucky or you were very unlucky. No need to get worked up about it.

I didn't encounter issues, they were just out there. It has been one of Apple's biggest problems with introducing new products. Not so much on established ones.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    cuencapcuencap Posts: 99member
    I was at a mall here in California, and I talked to two Cingular kiosks. One said the iPhone will be $600 and $700 and that it will not be available in Cingular stores until 6 months after the launch. I laughed at their stupidity and went to the next kiosk....

The guy at the next kiosk said there is one version for $600 and it will only be available in Apple stores.

What idiots! How are they so stupid? The only consistent information across both kiosks is that it is coming out in Late June - that's all they would say! When I said June 20th? They both kinda smiled and said late June....

I think they are playing stupid for now...
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

I laughed at their stupidity and went to the next kiosk....

What idiots! How are they so stupid?

Don't you feel you are being a little harsh here? The iPhone isn't out yet so there is no reason they should be well versed on it's pricing, or any other aspect at this point. They are Cingular employees who obviously don't spend their days perusing Apple focused websites. Outside of the basic price and capacity I wouldn't expect many Apple Store employees to be much more knowledgeable at this point.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    cuencapcuencap Posts: 99member
    With any new product launch that is less than 3-4 weeks away, the least they could know is the proper price points...

At the first kiosk, I asked an employer and his "manager" was quick to come over to provide the 600-700 prices and tell me that no Cingular store would have it for 6 months. I just found it interesting, that's all
  • Reply 40 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    So what date is it being released in the US?