Mac EvangeList: A|W to make a "major announcement" re: Maya

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    [quote]Originally posted by scottiB:

<strong>

Finally, A|W has begun a new policy regarding licensing--at least for DesignTools (and perhaps for Maya--I have to check with our alias rep): if you want to move a seat of software across platforms, say, from an Irix to a WinTel or other *nix box (or any combination); it'll cost you $1000 for each cut moved.

Currently, the small ID firm where I work has 8 seats of AutoStudio, 1 seat of Maya Unlimited, and 2 of Maya Complete served off an Irix server to various Octanes and and Win2K workstations. If we retire our SGI Origin to a Sun (or Dell or IBM-Unix), it will cost us $11K. Ouch.

Assuming this does apply to Maya, this will hurt migration to Macs--especially for animation houses that have many Irix and Win2K workstations. This tarriff effectively adds $1000 to the cost of any new Mac (or any new box-platform)--unless Maya was originally purchased for the Mac. I suppose A|W needs to recoup some $$$ lost by the Maya price break.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is not anything new for Maya. It's always been this way.

But now, it's even worse. I asked about this on the Highend3d Maya list and an employee of A|W's said that instead of the $1,000 OS transfer fee, you now have to buy a new license for whatever platform you want to move to.

They claim that this is the same policy as other software companies, and I don't know how most companies do it, but the one software package that we did transfer from Irix to Win2K didn't cost us a thing to move it.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by kormac77:

<strong>Check this out.

<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/features/apple3d.html"; target="_blank">http://www.thinksecret.com/features/apple3d.html</a>;

=================================================

Apple, planning to enter this market, already has professional video editing software -- Final Cut Pro -- and with the acquisition of Nothing Real, can be a major player in the special effects space. However, the company lacks a 3D application, and sources say that the company is clearly in the market for a 3D vendor to acquire. This has been the subject of much speculation among creative professionals in the industry. Some question the plan's business sense, however, noting that the high-end graphics market, while high-margin, is only a fraction of a percent of the whole software market.

Enter Alias|Wavefront, Silicon Graphics subsidiary and renowned high-end developer of Maya 3D software, which frequently makes appearances during Macworld Expo keynote presentations. Alias has undergone a great deal of internal reorganization, and insiders say that the changes were made to turn the company into a prime acquisition candidate. Apple is one of the main companies Alias hopes to be acquired by -- indeed, this has been a frequent rumor -- but these same insiders note that Apple simply isn't interested in buying Alias in its present state. Sources could not determine whether Apple's apprehension is due to business/financial reasons -- rumor has it that Alias may have debt issues -- or whether it has to do with problems regarding Maya and Mac OS X.

=================================================

SGI became too expensive lately. So they will have few more Qtr for try. However, holding A/W in SGI is not good for their recovery plan.

So.... here we are.

We will see more in near future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Never quote ThinkSecret or MOSR or SpyMac, it's 90% BS. (but good reading)

• Reply 23 of 23
    For those not paying attention, the big news is a quite significant price drop on the various Maya packages...