Aperture 2 availability?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know Apple usually announce release dates prior to demonstrating them, but isn't there a photography expo where Apple will at least demo the newest version and give a general availability date? I was thinking it is called NAB, but when I googled it the dates were in April and it looked like NAB deals with video (i.e. Final Cut Studio).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I know Apple usually announce release dates prior to demonstrating them, but isn't there a photography expo where Apple will at least demo the newest version and give a general availability date? I was thinking it is called NAB, but when I googled it the dates were in April and it looked like NAB deals with video (i.e. Final Cut Studio).

Photokina is a photography expo that occurs once every other year in October. It occurred this past year (2006), and it was at this that Apple announced Aperture 1.5. Don't expect Aperture 2.0 for another year at least, I'd say.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think Apple will go ahead and announce Aperture 2.0 after Leopard. My reasoning is that Core Image in Leopard supports RAW directly and that and Core Data support should yield a vastly faster workflow in A 2.0.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think Apple will go ahead and announce Aperture 2.0 after Leopard. My reasoning is that Core Image in Leopard supports RAW directly and that and Core Data support should yield a vastly faster workflow in A 2.0.

And this can't be done in a minor upgrade?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

And this can't be done in a minor upgrade?

Not likely without potentially breaking other applications since you're dealing with changes to the API itself.

and pretty sure that Apple has big plans for Aperture 2.0. That's when I hope aboard.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Not likely without potentially breaking other applications since you're dealing with changes to the API itself.

and pretty sure that Apple has big plans for Aperture 2.0. That's when I hope aboard.

Hop* (?)

It's worth hoping on board now -- I love aperture.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Hop* (?)

It's worth hoping on board now -- I love aperture.

oops fingers automagically typed that "e"

I need to get a solid but not too spendy DSLR. I'm likely looking at Nikon or Canon first but I'd consider other options. I want to keep the camera lower than $800.

Once I get that sucker and a nice 4GB card I'll be shooting like mad. I have a POS HP point and shoot now that doesn't do RAW at all or JPEG all that well for that matter.

I wonder what else they're going to do with Aperture 2.0. Since I don't use the app I can't think of the things I'd like to see improved but Apple typically does well with version 2.0 product.