Quicktime/Tivo/.mpg problem as well as startup problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I built my own Tivo a couple weeks ago. I want to be able to watch the files over my wireless network on my Apple laptop but it wont let me. I've tried Quicktime and Win Media player both say they cant play the file type(.mpg). My brother can do it fine on his Windows laptop he just streams them from the "Freevo" computer but I cant. Any ideas?

I have another question while I'm at it. My laptop is a Powerbook G4, about 4 years old, OS X 10.2.8. For the past month or so it has had problems starting up. When I turn it on the harddrive sounds to me(who isnt super computer savy) like it is spinning real slow. Sometimes the screen never comes on it just stays black and I have to hold the power buttond and then try again. Sometimes it takes several times before it will fully start up. Sometimes the screen comes up and looks like its going to fully boot up and after awhile it just stops. My guess is the harddrive is dying but I dont know. I've run the utility CD as well as some of the utility/first aid programs that came with the computer. Nothing has made any difference. The harddrive died on me once about about a year after I had it. Did the scratching, oh crap, you know something bad has happened. It was replaced with an Apple replacement 40GB by my colleges tech people. Any ideas? I've transferred all my important files over to my "freevo" computer in case it does die and I'd be happy for an excuse to get a bigger harddrive but dont want to replace it if its not the problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AKProbeGT View Post

I built my own Tivo a couple weeks ago. I want to be able to watch the files over my wireless network on my Apple laptop but it wont let me. I've tried Quicktime and Win Media player both say they cant play the file type(.mpg). My brother can do it fine on his Windows laptop he just streams them from the "Freevo" computer but I cant. Any ideas?

The .mpg files are mpeg-2. To decode those in quicktime, you'd need the Apple mpeg-2 decoder, which they should bundle for free at least with the pro version of quicktime but they don't. VLC will play them for free though ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ). If you need to edit them, MPEG Streamclip is very good but you need the quicktime component.

Quote:

I have another question while I'm at it. My laptop is a Powerbook G4, about 4 years old, OS X 10.2.8. For the past month or so it has had problems starting up. When I turn it on the harddrive sounds to me(who isnt super computer savy) like it is spinning real slow.

It could well be on it's way out. The average life is 3-5 years. The built-in diagnostic software isn't helpful and the SMART status (you can check this at the bottom in disk utility when you select the drive) doesn't always raise an error even when the drive is truly failing. Techtool Pro is quite good as it measures a lot of hard drive features and lets you know if each exceeds the normal conditions.

If you can, try cloning your drive to an external one using superduper or carbon copy cloner and boot from that and see if you ever have any trouble booting.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    akprobegtakprobegt Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It could well be on it's way out. The average life is 3-5 years. The built-in diagnostic software isn't helpful and the SMART status (you can check this at the bottom in disk utility when you select the drive) doesn't always raise an error even when the drive is truly failing. Techtool Pro is quite good as it measures a lot of hard drive features and lets you know if each exceeds the normal conditions.

If you can, try cloning your drive to an external one using superduper or carbon copy cloner and boot from that and see if you ever have any trouble booting.

How do I boot from another harddrive? I'm in the process of using carbon copy cloner to put it all on an external harddrive I have laying around. If its not done by tonight it will be by the time I get home from work tomorrow.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

How do I boot from another harddrive? I'm in the process of using carbon copy cloner to put it all on an external harddrive I have laying around. If its not done by tonight it will be by the time I get home from work tomorrow.

Hold the alt-key while booting and choose the drive. I should have said that for PPC models, it's better if it's a firewire drive. The Intel machines can boot from both USB and firewire but by default, the PPC models can't or at least not very well:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...61017084322177
  • Reply 4 of 5
    akprobegtakprobegt Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Hold the alt-key while booting and choose the drive. I should have said that for PPC models, it's better if it's a firewire drive. The Intel machines can boot from both USB and firewire but by default, the PPC models can't or at least not very well:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...61017084322177

I tried booting from my external harddrive with no luck. Just wouldnt do anything. I dont know if its because the harddrive is a USB connection or what. I havent really experimented because its a pain but generally when the computer is shutdown it will not start right back up. If I try the screen will just stay black and to me it seems the harddrive just never gets spinning. If I let the computer sit off for 10-15 minutes it will generally start up though I think it does it slower.

I dont know if I should buy another harddrive and have it waiting or if I have another problem on my hands.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Boot holding command-v. This will give you information about what's happening at boot time.