How to force OS X to use both Processors?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

I noticed Quake 4 has a dual processor support option which pretty much means it is program specific.

Q4 was designed for a MP environment from the gitgo.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    tettet Posts: 3member
    interesting thread... no pun intended...

question though. i use an audio player named Cog, which lets me play SHN (Shorten) and FLAC files. these are lossless audio recordings, so playing them natively is far better for me than converting them to MP3/AAC to listen to them. i've got a Dual G5 2.0 GHz box, and whenever i play a SHN file, it will play static at the beginning of the file. someone suggested to me that if i disable my second processor, it will work (this has apparently been a known bug in the app for a long time). i tried it, and it did!

is there any app or extension or utility out there that will let me restrict a particular app to just one processor? the devs for Cog are not likely to fix this any time soon... i'm running 10.4.9 here, and am pretty well versed with UNIX as well, so even if i have to get down and dirty in the Terminal, i'm interested in hearing anyone's input on this.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    surely that should be the application writer to change....

"our software wont work with 2 cpus . . . lets tell the users to cripple their machines as the fix ! "

in seriousness though, i would think its unlikely . . . once the OS has the tasks it needs to do, the scheduler just divvies it up between the cores as it sees fit . . . i dont see how you could specify it to stick all to a single core.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fisha View Post

surely that should be the application writer to change....

"our software wont work with 2 cpus . . . lets tell the users to cripple their machines as the fix ! "

in seriousness though, i would think its unlikely . . . once the OS has the tasks it needs to do, the scheduler just divvies it up between the cores as it sees fit . . . i dont see how you could specify it to stick all to a single core.

it's not crippling the machine, it's just directing all threads from a certain app at a single processor. and sorry to say this, but both Windows and *NIX systems allow for this to be done with ease. the Mac's Mach Kernel does not apparently, in my research. kinda sucky...

well, i guess it will be up to the app's author to fix, but who knows when that might happen.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You can wrap the launch of the app in calls to sysctl to turn off the second processor while the app is running, and turn it back on after the app quits. That is all that has been demonstrated to work anyway.

Install the CHUD tools from the Developer Tools.

hwprefs cpu_count=1

and

hwprefs cpu_count=2

wrap it in an applescript like

LaunchCog.scpt

do shell script "hwprefs cpu_count=1"

tell app "Cog" to activate

and

QuitCog.scpt

do shell script "hwprefs cpu_count=2"

tell app "Cog" to quit
  • Reply 26 of 29
    lundy, thanks a lot. i don't think i'll be able to successfully do that myself, but i'm gonna post that over on some other forums and hopefully a more resourceful Cog user can whip that together.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    vasuvasu Posts: 26member
    I'm using an EyeTV Hybrid as well, and don't notice any flickering or sluggishness.. and this is on a nearly 4 year old dual 2ghz g5.

Over the air HD in the US tops out around 20 megabits which is way below USB2's 480megabit max. Even something like Bluray is only 40-50megabits (or something along those lines).

The only time i notice flickering is when my over the air signal is weak. you can check this by going to eyetv preferences, then going to device, and then going to signal. anything below, or approaching 50% is too low. i get flickering below a 56% strong signal usually.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    danmanixdanmanix Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vasu View Post

Over the air HD in the US tops out around 20 megabits which is way below USB2's 480megabit max. Even something like Bluray is only 40-50megabits (or something along those lines).

Ahh, but in the UK (which is currently only being tested), the data is encoded with H.264 and is full 1080p - which is a helluva lot more work for the CPU than the US MPEG2 based HD.

eyeTV is not Multicore/ multiprocessor aware (at least for the decoding) - they would need to licence something like CoreAVC and use that for the BBC HD Trial to play back at full speed on current Intel iMacs
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Thank you all for the support... So, at the end of the day, the blame is on the BBC HD data, eh?

grrrr...

Oh well.. All I can do now is wait for someone to come up with ways to play it nicely on my Eyetv software.