Macbook Pro Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    tmi00tmi00 Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

I concur. If it were just a speed bump Apple would have upped the MBP before the MB.

I'm not sure about this, because if the MBP will not be bumped until the WWDC, it can seriously affect its sales (though there's only 3 weeks left) , now that the high-end MB is faster and has a higher hard drive than the low-end MBP. And on the other hand Steve said that they will focus this year more on the MBP sales rather than on iMac or MB...We'll see
  • Reply 42 of 73
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Here's my inclination for the MacBook Pro update if it's anything more than a CPU bump:

15-inch: 2.2GHz

- 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo

- 2GB RAM

- 160GB hard drive

- 8X Superdrive

- 256MB Mobility Radeon HD 2600

- LED-backlit display (possibly higher resolution)

15-inch: 2.4GHz

- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

- 2GB RAM

- 200GB hard drive (5400 RPM; maybe 250GB)

- 8X Superdrive

- 512MB Mobility Radeon HD 2600

- LED-backlit display

17-inch: 2.4GHz

- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

- 2GB RAM

- 250GB hard drive

- 8X Superdrive

- standard backlit display

I'd buy one.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Here's my inclination for the MacBook Pro update if it's anything more than a CPU bump:

15-inch: 2.2GHz

- 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo

- 2GB RAM

- 160GB hard drive

- 8X Superdrive

- 256MB Mobility Radeon HD 2600

- LED-backlit display (possibly higher resolution)

15-inch: 2.4GHz

- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

- 2GB RAM

- 200GB hard drive (5400 RPM; maybe 250GB)

- 8X Superdrive

- LED-backlit display

17-inch: 2.4GHz

- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

- 2GB RAM

- 250GB hard drive

- 8X Superdrive

- standard backlit display

I'd buy one.

That sounds very reasonable. I'm willing to buy a MBP in the next few months, but right now I am waiting for the next generation to appear. If the 15 inch at 2.2 Ghz will cost 1.999 just like the actual one, I'll definitely choose that...but we'll see the 2.4 Ghz prices
  • Reply 44 of 73
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    I'm almost certain of it.

I have a friend who does retail training for Intel. He was called by his boss while I was hanging at his place yesterday, and was told that Best Buy had received Santa Rosa MacBook Pros in that day.

In other words, Intel was passing the word that new MacBook Pro's were arriving and featured the new chipset. It's a done deal I feel.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    I don't care as much about the processor bump as I do a new video card, LED-backlighting and hopefully a higher-resolution.

I'm getting a macbook pro through a service so it cost me a tad under a hundred bucks and i just sent my voucher in friday. I've been using a dell 15" notebook for two years and the one thing I've always hated about the possibility of switching to a MBP was the shitty 1440x900 resolution screen compared to my 15" 1680x1050. I want at least that in a new MBP. I would even go for 1920x1280 though. I almost picked that on my dell.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

I'm almost certain of it.

He was called by his boss while I was hanging at his place yesterday, and was told that Best Buy had received Santa Rosa MacBook Pros in that day.

I hope you're right
  • Reply 47 of 73
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmi00 View Post

That sounds very reasonable. I'm willing to buy a MBP in the next few months, but right now I am waiting for the next generation to appear. If the 15 inch at 2.2 Ghz will cost 1.999 just like the actual one, I'll definitely choose that...but we'll see the 2.4 Ghz prices

Quote:

I hope you're right

I'm right there with you, in just the same position, dude
  • Reply 48 of 73
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    This would make me happy.

15.4" LED backlit TFT LCD with new case design

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo

800MHz FSB

2GB memory

1GB Turbo Memory (Robson)

160GB hard drive (5400 rpm), with larger, faster options

8x SuperDrive

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

graphics with 256MB SDRAM

I'd be a little disappointed if this update came in the same old case and without Robson.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Ok, the traditional websites of rumors were silent this week end , last uptates are from 18 may!

Let's hope they'll got some fresh news today

And for the stock , I can't imagine apple having a Shortage until they release their new model , especialy if it's in june! They would loose too much money!
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Moreover , I can remember that , last week , The announce was done monday for tuesday!

so , We may expect the same things....

But , I would be sooo disapointed...if not
  • Reply 51 of 73
    hey, thanks, this post is very useful
  • Reply 52 of 73
    You know...I've been wondering, if they will release the 2.4 Ghz version, here's how the new Apple ad will sound (as they always exaggerate): "3x faster than its predecessor...3x 2.4 Ghz, which means 2.4 for the first core...2.4 for the second...and 2.4 for the wireless"
  • Reply 53 of 73
    tenoscetenosce Posts: 2member
    Increase marketability of Macbook Pros with Windows Users

In the last few months, as most of you know, Mac sales have continued to improve, and one of the likely reasons is that many people do like the fact that they can now run Windows on Macs - whether on a frequent or infrequent basis.

If Apple feel that this is a market that makes sense developing further, they really should consider making a few simple changes/additions to their notebooks to make it easier to run Windows on them, including:

1. A second button for the trackpad would be fabulous. The 2-finger on trackpad maneuver is pretty tricky and unreliable in Windows

2. A better keyboard (reduce the minimalist approach and add the keys that are common on Windows notebooks - e.g. DEL, HOME etc)

3. While on the keyboard issue - move the left-bottom-corner Function (fn) key somewhere else - most people who speed through Excel and Word documents really like to be able to quickly hit the CTRL key in order to use keyboard shortcuts (yes I know you can remap the keys, but that's not an ideal solution)

4. A docking solution is really, really needed. Especially with the USB ports on both sides, the Macbook Pro is a mess when plugged into a desktop setup

5. Better power management drivers - the Macbook Pro 15 lasts only about half as long under Windows as it does under OSX

6. 2 USB ports together on one side - even for the 15 inch model - too many portable hard drives these days require additional power from a second port

7. Small thing (which I know can be addressed with third-party solutions) - it would be nice to have the keyboard backlighting work under Windows

8. Would be nice if the remote could also control PowerPoint slides

T
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenosce View Post

6. 2 USB ports together on one side - even for the 15 inch model - too many portable hard drives these days require additional power from a second port

T

use firewire ones.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    He's talking about making the laptop more open to Windows users. Firewire is almost non-existent in the PC world (comapred to Apple at least). I don't want to go out and buy a new firewire enclosure.

Yes, my MBP will run Windows 90% of the time with the option to run OSX . My co-worker says that should totally be the other way around haha.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    Another thought: I think if there won't be any major modification on the MBP, just the CPU speed to 2.2, 2.4 Ghz, hard drive, graph card and so on...they won't wait 'til the WWDC. I mean it's kind of funny to announce that at the DC. All the developers and mac geeks will be there, and Steve will step up and say: "Woow...we increased its speed with 0.04 Ghz and its hard drive with 40 GB..." I can't really imagine something like this...I hope it will appear tomorrow, or next Tuesday.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenosce View Post

1. A second button for the trackpad would be fabulous. The 2-finger on trackpad maneuver is pretty tricky and unreliable in Windows

3. While on the keyboard issue - move the left-bottom-corner Function (fn) key somewhere else - most people who speed through Excel and Word documents really like to be able to quickly hit the CTRL key in order to use keyboard shortcuts (yes I know you can remap the keys, but that's not an ideal solution)

4. A docking solution is really, really needed. Especially with the USB ports on both sides, the Macbook Pro is a mess when plugged into a desktop setup

T

I don't even run windows and I would like these. I hate the function key where it is, and the second button on the mouse, as old of an argument as that is, is overdue. I think rear ports would be great, a docking solution to me is not necessary but would suffice.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:

Another thought: I think if there won't be any major modification on the MBP, just the CPU speed to 2.2, 2.4 Ghz, hard drive, graph card and so on...they won't wait 'til the WWDC. I mean it's kind of funny to announce that at the DC. All the developers and mac geeks will be there, and Steve will step up and say: "Woow...we increased its speed with 0.04 Ghz and its hard drive with 40 GB..." I can't really imagine something like this...I hope it will appear tomorrow, or next Tuesday.

By that logic, then, at Macworld, they shouldn't have talked about Leopard as much as they did. I think it's totally within bounds - without it, the developers have nothing to develop for in the first place; however, I don't think they will wait 'till WWDC to refresh the MBPs. It's going to be a moderate upgrade, and Jobs can just kinda mention it on the run, like, "a month ago, we upgraded our MacBook line with faster processors, more RAM, and larger hard drives, and the MacBook Pros were also upgraded (insert how long ago here), with (insert upgrade here), in preparation for Leopard." Kinda a little plug for a few things, but point out, 'hey, we're still coming out with new stuff other than the iPhone.'
  • Reply 59 of 73
    I would very much like to see the GeForce 8M Series included in the upcomming MBP's/iMacs.

They use significantly less power than then Radeon HD series, and the "Architecture" has been out since november, allowing more time to mature vice its AMD/Ati Counterpart.

Now the question is should they use the 8400M or the 8600M?
  • Reply 60 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by USMC2Hard4U View Post

I would very much like to see the GeForce 8M Series included in the upcomming MBP's/iMacs.

They use significantly less power than then Radeon HD series

Do you have evidence for this? Historically, ATI have been ahead on power consumption, and that's why Apple usually go with them in the PowerBook/MacBook Pro. The Mobility Radeon HD2600 isn't even out yet, so how do you know the 8M consumes less power? It's pretty hard/impossible to find actual power consumption numbers on either ATI's or Nvidia's site.