Illustrator engulfs FreeHand

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe decided not to develop a version of FreeHand that runs natively on Intel processors, let alone devolop FreeHand at all anymore. They'll still sell MX and give customer support for it as long as there's demand. I hate Illustrator, and Adobe's telling FreeHand users to "migrate" to it. Great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I use Illustrator, so no complaints from me. I used FreeHand for about 10 minutes, years ago, and never had the desire to use it again.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ranorano Posts: 6member
    I did the same thing with Illustrator. Fortunately for you, you picked Illustrator over FreeHand, which Adobe also did. Just imagine if Macromedia would have bought Adobe and discontinued development of Illustrator and told you to migrate to FreeHand. I guess I would've been happy if they released just one more version of FreeHand, one that runs natively on my MacBook Pro. I guess I'll (have to) give Illustrator another try though. I hear good things...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rano View Post

I did the same thing with Illustrator. Fortunately for you, you picked Illustrator over FreeHand, which Adobe also did. Just imagine if Macromedia would have bought Adobe and discontinued development of Illustrator and told you to migrate to FreeHand. I guess I would've been happy if they released just one more version of FreeHand, one that runs natively on my MacBook Pro. I guess I'll (have to) give Illustrator another try though. I hear good things...

I would not be doing Graphic Design anymore, seriously. I had no idea what was going on in Illustrator when I first started using it, but now I find myself trying to get as much as I can done in it, them moving to the other apps. I opened Freehand once, looked around the screen, asked myself why I just did that, and closed it. I would definitely give Illustrator a good shot before you freak out, it's worth the time to learn it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

I would not be doing Graphic Design anymore, seriously. I had no idea what was going on in Illustrator when I first started using it, but now I find myself trying to get as much as I can done in it, them moving to the other apps. I opened Freehand once, looked around the screen, asked myself why I just did that, and closed it. I would definitely give Illustrator a good shot before you freak out, it's worth the time to learn it.

True story: I now use Illustrator for many tasks I would usually do in Photoshop. It's much faster, files are smaller... the one thing I never do, though, is save my files as PDFs. That for me is a point of no return which tends to destroy text placed into Illustrator documents, and 'not saving' as a PDF tends to mess with the icon of the saved file. I have to go back and associate the file with Illustrator to open it... it still saves it as a PDF!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

True story: I now use Illustrator for many tasks I would usually do in Photoshop. It's much faster, files are smaller... the one thing I never do, though, is save my files as PDFs. That for me is a point of no return which tends to destroy text placed into Illustrator documents, and 'not saving' as a PDF tends to mess with the icon of the saved file. I have to go back and associate the file with Illustrator to open it... it still saves it as a PDF!

I'm not sure I understand what your talking about. I don't think I have had this problem in Illustrator, but I have had a linking problem on some stupid sh!t in InDesign. I usually catch myself and fix it. Why are you saving to .PDF, just for saving it, or to bring it into an other app? You know you can highlight whatever you want to take over to an other CS app, click/drag, apple+tab to the other app and let go, or you can copy, apple+tab, paste to an other app right?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    I know nothing about Illustrator or Freehand, but when I see that Illustrator can do this, then I'm selling my camera.

Yukio Miyamoto
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

I know nothing about Illustrator or Freehand, but when I see that Illustrator can do this, then I'm selling my camera.

Yukio Miyamoto

Did you read the article? It was done with Illustrator lol, that guys likes gradient mesh way to much. Why would you sell your camera? You still need it for the reference images.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I examined his line art vs. the final art... it looks like portions of his art was 'Streamlined'. Especially the Leica. Overall, really, really impressive work. I can't imagine he gets out much.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I use Illustrator, so no complaints from me. I used FreeHand for about 10 minutes, years ago, and never had the desire to use it again.

I've used Freehand since the beginning? and have made a very good living with it.

I'm disappointed that the government didn't make Adobe sell off Freehand, as it was the number #1 application at the time, and Illustrator was #2. Purchasing MacroMedia, gave Adobe a BIG upper hand on the other drawing applications - what's left of them.

Like the other person said ? how would those of you who use Illustrator like it, if the tables where tuned.

Both applications benefited from each other, and each one got better because of the other.

I guess we'll just have to hope something good comes from this

Skip
  • Reply 10 of 12
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Well, I feel pretty bad for those who not only preferred Freehand, but really don't like Illustrator - I can't imagine what i would do if it was the other way around.

I tried really really hard to work with Freehand a few years ago, simply because you could copy and paste directly into Flash. But the pen tool in Freehand is just fucked up - that is really my biggest problem with it (well that and it's weird way of picking and working with colours)

i've been using CS3 for a few weeks now, and I don't find myself using any other tools than the ones I used when I started with 8.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I've used Freehand since the beginning? and have made a very good living with it.

I'm disappointed that the government didn't make Adobe sell off Freehand, as it was the number #1 application at the time, and Illustrator was #2. Purchasing MacroMedia, gave Adobe a BIG upper hand on the other drawing applications - what's left of them.

Like the other person said ? how would those of you who use Illustrator like it, if the tables where tuned.

Both applications benefited from each other, and each one got better because of the other.

I guess we'll just have to hope something good comes from this

Skip

Sorry dude.