For those who use NUM for OS X...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
...what are your experiences to this point?

Same as always - cause more problems than it fixes? Do you need Classic installed to install / run the suite, or can you run all of the utlities (including Speed Disk) natively from OS X?

Anyone noticed any performance gains from optimizing their disk, etc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Upon installed the latest beta, I get kernel panics that trace back to the kernel extensions NUM installs. Took me a while to figure it out, because I have energy saver turn off my LCD instead of using a screensaver, and whenever I'd come back to my box, it wouldn't wake up. I eventually turned that off one night, and low and behold, NUM ws causing kernel panics. I've no idea why, but uninstalling it fixed the problem.

NUM was a godsend in OS 9, and FileSaver recovered some crashed disks a few times and saved me the trouble and $$$ of having to send the disk to drivesavers. I just wish it ran alright in X... maybe when it goes final.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    It has gone final...been available for a few weeks now AFAIK. Also, I'm hoping NUMOSX is *better* than NUM Classic because every time I ever ran that POS under OS 8 or OS 9, it actually caused all sorts of startup crashes, incompatibilities and other havoc. The only useful aspect of the program was Speed Disk IMO.