iDisk... sucks on a Mac?!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just made an amazing discovery. Well, it blew me away, anyway.

I accessed my iDisk through Web Folders on my PII 300 running Windows 98 on a 56k modem. Should be PAINFULLY slow... or so I thought.

It runs freakin circles around my 800 MHz G4 PowerMac with a DSL modem for navigating around in folders. I can't believe it.

I swear sometimes I'll open my Sites folder on the PowerMac and sit there for 30 seconds before the damn thing opens and shows all the contents. The same thing on my PC with a 56k modem - done in 3-4 seconds.

Don't know what else to say. I haven't been able to get my jaw off my desk yet....

I can seriously see myself trying to find a file on my iDisk.. and going over to my PC to do so. I'll have to try the same thing with VPC...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of OS X
  • Reply 2 of 14
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>Welcome to the wonderful world of OS X</strong><hr></blockquote>

it's not just os x, it's painfully slow in os9 too.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>

it's not just os x, it's painfully slow in os9 too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

not nearly as slow for me
  • Reply 4 of 14
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    It's slow for OS X and OS 9. It freezes the OS X finder for minutes at a time sometimes. OS 9 is better but not much. That's why I rarely use it.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Use <a href="http://www.webdav.org/goliath/"; target="_blank">Goliath</a> to access your iDisks - it's much faster.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    How do you access through VPC?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    I use Cadaver, a command line client. It's not just fast, it's instantaneous, and doesn't tax the CPU in the least.

You might try compiling it for OSX, I know it can compile on 10.1 . It is from <a href="http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/"; target="_blank">http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/</a>;

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    I have downloaded it but how in the heck do I compile it? I'm lost past un-gzip/tarring it.

Email me if you know how.

Thanks,

Mac Guru
  • Reply 9 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well that's why I don't use iDisk. Always been too slow and probably always will be.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The usual steps for compiling software are:

./configure

make

sudo make install

I'll try this with cadaver and report back.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    That was quick.

Yeah, the above procedure works fine.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I know I'm a little slow on this (don't worry, I'm used to it), but this accessing my iDisk on a PC is pretty cool. I can now upload photos to my iDisk, move stupid pics to it for linking here, etc. Kind of neat.

Actually, I just took a few digital pics and uploaded them to one of my iDisks. Used IrfanView on my PII 300 (running Win ME now) to size them to 800x600, and uploaded them, then sent the URLs to a friend.

Weird thing is, in Windows ME, hooking the camera up, transferring the photos to the computer, resizing and editing them, and uploading them to my iDisk... was just as easy and fast on this PC as it is on my PowerMac. A little unnerving.

PS, anyone want to see a few GREAT shots of Kiana Tom in the buff? heh heh - the power of iDisk.

edit - Another thought just occured to me... I wonder how many PC people have iDisks. Think about it, I could walk into a Mac store, go to Apple's site and sign up for iTools, then just access it from home on my PC. Would be really easy. Hmmmmm.

I might have to get a few more iDisks set up too.... only have 10 right now.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 14
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    That's a crafty way of circumventing the weak-ish 10MB/iDisk

Architecturally, the only reason I can think of for the iDisk to crawl on Macs so bad is those folders like Software and Music etc.

Those are symlinlks, and maybe it is loading the entire contents of them each and every time you log on to iDisk. That, and resource forks. Beyond that I can't imagine why it takes so bloody long on OS9/X.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 14
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Just tried it. Opened in about four seconds.

QS 867

OS X 10.1.3