Boot time = taking a nap??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I installed Boot Camp (WHY?!!) and decided that Vista gives me a huge headache and deleted it (bye-bye Craposoft...for now at least). Now when I turn my computer on it takes forever to get the wonderful little Apple, with it's all so lovely spiny circle thingy. It just sits at a silver screen for a long time. I feel like I can make and eat dinner and still sit in front of the computer and wait for it to load (a little exaggerated to emphasize my point). Anyone have this problem, herd of this problem, know how to fix it, or give a sh!t??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It may be having a hard time finding a boot volume, as in it's looking for something that's no longer there or has been relocated. Check your startup disk settings to make sure it's not looking for a phantom drive, try selecting an existing boot volume and see if it helps.

Sometimes I've had computers (both Windows and Mac) just not get anywhere on bootup if I have an iPod connected while it is booting up. Disconnecting the iPod fixed the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Where can I find my start up disk settings?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Where can I find my start up disk settings?

In the System Preferences program (switch with an Apple next to it), then click the drive icon fourth row down, probably second from the right.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

In the System Preferences program (switch with an Apple next to it), then click the drive icon fourth row down, probably second from the right.

hmm, I'm in the System Preferences all the time. You mean the disk utility? I can't check till I get back from work.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

hmm, I'm in the System Preferences all the time. You mean the disk utility? I can't check till I get back from work.

It's in System Preferences, and the item is called "Startup Disk". It looks like a hard drive with a small question mark on it. Type "disk" in the search box in System Preferences and it will highlight the relevant item.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's in System Preferences, and the item is called "Startup Disk". It looks like a hard drive with a small question mark on it. Type "disk" in the search box in System Preferences and it will highlight the relevant item.

K, I'll check it out when I get home from work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I think switching to the original boot drive worked. It didn't have any other choice besides the network one, so I selected the original and it said restart the computer. It restarted it and it booted 100x quicker, I just need to see how it cold boots when I get home. Thanks a lot for the help
  • Reply 8 of 8
    it doesn't lag at all when I start my computer. thanks again for the help