No CDMA-compatible iPhone for at least 5 years - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    If the USA Today report is true (and I still have my doubts), Apple was foolish to give ATT/Cingular that long of an exclusive. To be limited in the US for five years to a single carrier that has less than 30% of the market is silly. It's a bit like selling Macs only to folks whose last names end in S through Z.

Sure, a few people may port on over to ATT/Cing just to get the iPhone... the latest & greatest, 'early adopt at all costs' crowd certainly will. But so very many won't, for many reasons, such as ATT/Cing not having good and/or reliable coverage in their area, or ATT/Cingular's legendarily bad customer service. Or perhaps they're just satisfied with their current network, and do not want to switch. Apple will find, belatedly, that it lost a lot of potential customers by going with such a long exclusionary period in the US.

The bright spot, of course, is that the iPhone's success is not wholly dependent on the US market. In fact, European and Asian sales both may exceed US sales. Still, five years, if true... dumb move. Two years would've made loads more sense.

• Reply 22 of 76
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Yes, GSM is more popular overall worldwide (over 80% marketshare), but even so, CDMA is far from being a small market and a tech that 'hardly anyone uses'... unless you consider those 300 million users (equal to the current population of the US) as being 'hardly anyone'. \ .

So if we were talking computers instead of cell phone technology, GSM is the "PC" of the world while CDMA is the "Mac"? Makes one wonder why Apple betrayed itself??
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So if we were talking computers instead of cell phone technology, GSM is the "PC" of the world while CDMA is the "Mac"? Makes one wonder why Apple betrayed itself??

Heh... Apple actually kinda wishes that the Mac was 'the CDMA of the world', because CDMA has something like 15% worldwide marketshare, while Mac WW share is more like 3%.

And yeah, like the Mac, a lot of people argue that CDMA is better, even if it less popular. Oh well, don't want to start a flame war over it... (go over to any wireless forum, and you can start a knife fight in ten seconds flat by putting up a 'GSM vs CDMA' thread).

• Reply 24 of 76
    vicgvicg Posts: 3member
    No CDMA for the iPhone in the USA. A tad disappointing. I do a bit of world traveling and was considering the iPhone as a replacement for my current phone. I was hoping that it would be friendly to both GSM and CDMA. I am looking for a mobile phone in the "world phone" form ideally with the capability of using both GSM and CDMA networks so that I would just need to have one phone "in the pocket" capable of being used any where on this planet. So, at least until the iPhone is released in Europe and/or the the Orient, the iPhone may not fit my needs. I noted that a few manufacturers have smart phone "world phones" that are capable of handling both GSM and CDMA. I suppose for now, pending travel plans, I'll most likely need to stick to those. We'll see.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Again, not with that nice 5-year exclusive license to Cingular, there's no reason to even care. And, perhaps by then, there won't be a need for it in North America.

And hiding stuff from the FCC report means nothing, because people will be ripping these things open immediately (wish I had that kind of money to be able to buy stuff in order to destroy it) and show you all the excitement of the antenna assembly or whatever.

I think they will use the same phone for other continents in the near term. Thus, my posturing that it is immediately relevant as to when they will be entering other markets and how and with whom.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    justbradyjustbrady Posts: 33member
    It really is too bad that Apple chose Cingular. That GSM network is really going to cripple the internet features. (Which is most of the phone) That EDGE network sucks so bad. I thought the keynote was funny. The mighty Steve Jobs actually had to stall for time as it loaded a web page. Had he a CDMA version in his hand it would have been lighting fast. Like stated above, I am not starting a CDMA vs. GSM knife fight. I am simply noting network speeds.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

It really is too bad that Apple chose Cingular. That GSM network is really going to cripple the internet features. (Which is most of the phone) That EDGE network sucks so bad. I thought the keynote was funny. The mighty Steve Jobs actually had to stall for time as it loaded a web page. Had he a CDMA version in his hand it would have been lighting fast. Like stated above, I am not starting a CDMA vs. GSM knife fight. I am simply noting network speeds.

Will the iPhone be software upgradable to UMTS or HSDPA, or is this a hardware issue? HSDPA has been shown to be faster than CDMA's 3G EVDO.

"But while UMTS enables streaming video and broadband Internet access with transfer speeds around 2Mbps, HSDPA improves upon that performance with the potential to hit up to 14.4Mbps (in reality, you'll average more in the 400Kbps to 700Kbps range)."

This quote is in regards to AT&Tingular's (love that name) offering a UMTS to HSDPA upgrade to their Palm Treo 750 later this year.

"Clearly, it'd be great if the Treo 750 could support the faster HSPDA speeds, but that said, Cingular and Palm said they will offer a free HSPDA upgrade sometime in the first half of 2007. Better late than never, right?"

Both quotes are from same review of Palm Treo 750 (link below).

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...tag=prod.txt.1
  • Reply 28 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

If the USA Today report is true (and I still have my doubts), Apple was foolish to give ATT/Cingular that long of an exclusive. To be limited in the US for five years to a single carrier that has less than 30% of the market is silly. It's a bit like selling Macs only to folks whose last names end in S through Z.

Sure, a few people may port on over to ATT/Cing just to get the iPhone... the latest & greatest, 'early adopt at all costs' crowd certainly will. But so very many won't, for many reasons, such as ATT/Cing not having good and/or reliable coverage in their area, or ATT/Cingular's legendarily bad customer service. Or perhaps they're just satisfied with their current network, and do not want to switch. Apple will find, belatedly, that it lost a lot of potential customers by going with such a long exclusionary period in the US.

The bright spot, of course, is that the iPhone's success is not wholly dependent on the US market. In fact, European and Asian sales both may exceed US sales. Still, five years, if true... dumb move. Two years would've made loads more sense.

Keep in mind, this could be another fake story to help Apple catch their leaker.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondwelsh View Post

Will the iPhone be software upgradable to UMTS or HSDPA, or is this a hardware issue? HSDPA has been shown to be faster than CDMA's 3G EVDO.

My bet is yes. Remember the MBP wireless n fee. We know that the phone revenew will be spread out over the year. This is most likely because they are getting a % of the monthly fees from ATT, but it does open the possibility for those users in 3G cities to 'unlock' the high bandwidth services.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmdoughnuts View Post

My bet is yes...but it does open the possibility for those users in 3G cities to 'unlock' the high bandwidth services.

I hope this is the case. AppleT&T would sell A LOT more of these phones initially if it were true. I wonder though... I would think that if the iPhone were upgradable at a future date to a higher bandwidth service, that both Apple and AT&T would be shouting that fact at the top of their lungs every chance they could get. Especially considering the almost universal disappointment that the first iPhone would only employ EDGE technology. Maybe they're just not done working out the kinks on "upgradability" yet. Wouldn't want to promise such an important feature in the 1G iPhone and then not be able to deliver with all the class-action lawsuits flying around...
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondwelsh View Post

I would think that if the iPhone were upgradable at a future date to a higher bandwidth service, that both Apple and AT&T would be shouting that fact at the top of their lungs every chance they could get.

I think that there is not enough market size for 3G to be a real draw. It is to exclusive. I think that the marketing is going after the common denominiator with a phone that works on all markets. If the general consumer hears that 'the fast networking is only available in a few select market that isn't yours,' then there is a reason for the customer to be put off. Critics would say that its network savy features 'require' the high bandwidth and the downward spiral begins.

If, rather, Apple releases the product for everyone that works all over the 'ATT' network, Apple still gets all the fan fair of raising the bar of useable phones, and when Apple gives away 3G bandwidth 9 months later, they get a second surge of sales with even more publicity, just by flipping a switch through a OS update.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Japan uses the same 3G standards as Europe on two of the networks (Softbank Mobile and NTT DoCoMo) but has zero GSM coverage. Likewise Korea has no GSM and uses CDMA, but has the same 3G standards as Japan and Europe

Any iPhone in Japan or Korea will hence require 3G on the same frequencies as European 3G. Draw your own conclusions.

So which 2G network does Japan have? I doubt that they didn't use cell phones until 3G came out.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

If, rather, Apple releases the product for everyone that works all over the 'ATT' network, Apple still gets all the fan fair of raising the bar of useable phones, and when Apple gives away 3G bandwidth 9 months later, they get a second surge of sales with even more publicity, just by flipping a switch through a OS update.

Good point. But I hope they can flip that switch at some point in order to overcome what most (reviewers at least) view as its biggest drawback.

My current Verizon contract isn't up until October and may not be able to put out the kind of money to purchase iPhone for some time after that. Not sure how I will be able to go on with such an unbelievably boring, feature-starved phone... Might I have to wait another full year???

And I bet that's also partially why Apple and AT&T agreed on a 5-year exclusive deal. You have to allow two years (and sometimes longer if you've changed your plan in-contract like I did) for customers' current contracts with non-AT&T carriers to expire. I doubt that Not many people will be willing to pay a $175 cancellation fee AND $599 for 8GB iPhone. Example: Two years into the 5-year exclusive deal, customer buys iPhone and signs 2-year contract. Once that contract is up, Apple and AT&T still have three years to go on their deal and customer wants to upgrade to latest and greatest so they are locked in for another two years. Nowhere else to go but AT&T. Main beneficiary appears to be AT&T in that respect though. Perhaps that was Apple's concession to AT&T for AT&T giving up part of the monthly fees to Apple (Not sure if this is actually the case. Just repaeating what I have read in previous stories).

My fingertips are getting bruised. Gotta go.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Ehh?!

Five years? Do you really think that this archaic GSM standard will be around in 5 years? I hope not for the sake of US customers. It's been obsolete for nearly 5 years already.

I assume this won't extend to other countries, as it means the one of the biggest cellphone markets (Japan) gets ignored. Then again, it may take 5 years for Apple to wrangle out an agreement in Japan.

Oh well, by that time, the iPhone clones will have been on the market and taken some of Apple's shine.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Remember, Apple officially announced that a HSDPA iPhone will follow "shortly". This certainly isn't the last iPhone!

Korea and Australia have begun closing their CDMA networks and have put HDSPA networks in their place.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Remember, Apple officially announced that a HSDPA iPhone will follow "shortly". This certainly isn't the last iPhone!

Korea and Australia have begun closing their CDMA networks and have put HDSPA networks in their place.

hmmm, will this be compatible with Japan's 3G networks? going by Electric Monk's post, maybe...? Electric Monk?
  • Reply 37 of 76
    Quote:

I think that there is not enough market size for 3G to be a real draw. It is too exclusive.

If by 'too exclusive' you mean that ATT/Cing's 3G coverage area still kinda sucks currently, you'd be right. Maybe in a year it'll be much better, but right now, their EDGE data coverage area blows their 3G coverage away. Of course, EDGE is way slower. \

The sad thing is, if Verizon hadn't been so stubborn, the iPhone could've been released with 3G right off the bat, as their 3G coverage is pretty decent, yep, even right now.

ATT/Cing has been playing catch up in this regard, though the funny thing is that the old ATT Wireless was one of the first US carriers to have 3G out there, albeit in a very tiny 'trial area' of only six cities.

I'm sure that many Euro and Asian wireless users are laughing at us, marvelling that 3G coverage is still an issue for some major carriers in the 'States.

• Reply 38 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

hmmm, will this be compatible with Japan's 3G networks? going by Electric Monk's post, maybe...? Electric Monk?

Yes, Japan has two HDSPA networks!

There are over 100 HSDPA networks in 54 countries. All of the countries that Apple operates in.

Most operate at 3.6Mbit/s, but some already run at 14.4Mbit/sec.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Yes, Japan has two HDSPA networks!

There are over 100 HSDPA networks in 54 countries. All of the countries that Apple operates in.

Most operate at 3.6Mbit/s, but some already run at 14.4Mbit/sec.

ah, cool. so is it Softbank and NTT Docomo that are HDSPA? looking forward to my iPhone working here (Aust) and Japan!
  • Reply 40 of 76
    Yes, Softbank and Docomo are HSDPA networks.