Need help on buying a new Monitor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all

I'm in the market for a new LCD Monitor. I'm looking for something with between 22'' and 24''. I've been thinking about these:

- 22 inchers:

Dell Widescreen 22'' Monitor

Samsung 226BW Widescreen Monitor

- 24 inchers:

Dell 2407WFP Monitor

Samsung 245BW Monitor

I have a few questions:

1) Are the 2 extra inches really worth the (relatively steep) price difference?

2) Which of the two brands is better (I'm accepting sugestions for any other brand as well)?

I get the impression that on the 22'' front, the monitors are equivalent, but the Samsung deffinetelly looks better. On the 24'' front, on the other hand, the Dell seems to have a lot more features and the Samsung looks pretty dull. Am I right? BTW, I am open to sugestions of any other monitors you think are better then the above.

Thanks for any support!

Daniel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    new imacnew imac Posts: 29member
    Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gwoodpeckergwoodpecker Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by new imac View Post

Anyone?

You have noticed that for example the cheaper Dell display has a resolution of 1680*1050 pixels whereas the more expensive one is 1900*1200, and that it is much more expensive because of that? Same thing with the Samsung models you've listed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    It depends on what you will use it for and what you are connecting it too. If you edit HD footage for a living or use software with massive amounts of interface elements then the higher resolution screen would be better. For the majority of tasks, a 22" at 1680x1050 would be fine and if you hook it up to a machine with a GMA chip in it, the lower resolution will work better.

Judging by what I've read, the Samsung would be a very good choice but people who have bought Dell displays seem to be happy with them.

My opinion would be the 22" Samsung.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'd go with the 22" Samsung as well. It seems those Samsungs came out very good (though I should warn you it appears you can get 226BWs with different panels--"A" panel, or "S" or "C"--and some are better than others, but at least some of the difference can be changed via configuration. The whole story at www.behardware.com and www.lesnumeriques.com (in french), which also have glowing reviews of it.).

The 245BW costs like $220 more and is a little slower (5ms vs. 2ms, if you believe/care in those sorts of thing)

A "trusted" review of the 226BW: http://www.trustedreviews.com/displa...aster-226BW/p1

And another: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/10730...ter-226bw.html
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iclickiclick Posts: 4member
    Or wait until after WWDC.. In Oz Apple are offering a $500 (AUD) cashback (ending on the eve of WWDC) when you buy a Mac Pro + any ACD which leads me to think that either or both the Mac Pro and ACD could be updated. For me it's a $500 gamble.. has anyone seen decent rumours regarding Apple placing orders for large LED panels anywhere?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iClick View Post

Or wait until after WWDC.. In Oz Apple are offering a $500 (AUD) cashback (ending on the eve of WWDC) when you buy a Mac Pro + any ACD which leads me to think that either or both the Mac Pro and ACD could be updated. For me it's a $500 gamble.. has anyone seen decent rumours regarding Apple placing orders for large LED panels anywhere?

Do keep in mind, however, that those (especially if LED) will probably be hella expensive, and they might not ship until a couple of months from now.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    new imacnew imac Posts: 29member
    Thanks for all the info. I think I'm gonna settle for the 22'' Samsung.

Daniel