Saving streaming quicktime files?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Maybe this question has been asked before: I have a registered quicktime pro version, but with some streaming media files, it is not possible to save a copy permanently on my computer, for example the movie trailers available on the quicktime web page. When ever I open the link directly in my movie player and try saving it, Quicktime tells me that the file cannot be saved. I guess its due to copyright reasons. Is there any workaround to this?

Any information is appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    In a stream you can state whether or not to allow someone the ability of saving it. Whenever I want to download a full QT movie and I can't save it directly from the browser, I write a quick little HTML file with a text link to the full path of the QT movie. Then you load that html file into IE, and option click on the text link. This will download whatever the link references to disk.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    That's pretty clever!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mdhzmdhz Posts: 2member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>In a stream you can state whether or not to allow someone the ability of saving it. Whenever I want to download a full QT movie and I can't save it directly from the browser, I write a quick little HTML file with a text link to the full path of the QT movie. Then you load that html file into IE, and option click on the text link. This will download whatever the link references to disk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This doesnt work for all QT movies. Using this method with the movie trailer on the QT page (for example Black Hawk Down) one just gets a 4KB file. I can open it in the movie player, which then tries to stream that movie again, but obviously doesnt contain the movie data. I guess there is a link hidden in that 4KB QT-file.

Again, any workaround?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ptzwonptzwon Posts: 18member
    Just a quick question. I bought a Quicktime 5 Pro License and installed it on 5 computers. Now I have my new iMac and would like to be able to use a license on it. Is there anyway to uninstall the license from one of the other computers. I have tried deleting the registration information in the System Preferences, but it won't let me.

Thanks,

Peter