Just bought a new Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well the time finally came for me to get a new computer due to my PowerBook G4 failing and I decided I couldn't wait any longer. Given my bad luck with my last two PowerBooks, I decided to get a tower.

I ended up getting the 'standard' configuration with 2x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon processors, 1 GB of RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB graphics card, and a 16x SuperDrive. I also picked up a new printer, an Airport Extreme base station (802.11n), and an Airport Express.

I decided not to buy the ATi Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB graphics card until after WWDC just in case new graphicss card are released and I'm also planning on buying a 23 inch Apple Cinema HD display but thought I'd hold off on that just a little longer on that as well.

I'm also going to pick up some more RAM but I'm not going to pay Apple's prices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Congrats

I agree holding off on the LCD and GPU options are smart. I'm sure there will be options coming no later than Leopard shipping for GPU.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

I decided not to buy the ATi Radeon X1900 XT 512 MB graphics card until after WWDC just in case new graphicss card are released and I'm also planning on buying a 23 inch Apple Cinema HD display but thought I'd hold off on that just a little longer on that as well.

I would have gone for the X1900. It's still a good card and it's not that expensive. The Cinema displays have already been reduced in price but there could be LED versions coming I guess. I would have waited for the WWDC before buying anything though. It's less than 3 weeks away.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The problem is, I'm already using someone else's computer to post this. My PowerBook couldn't hold out another 3 days, never mind another 3 weeks.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Like Murch said, congrats. That's one serious machine. I hope you have better luck with reliabilty than with your PBs. Let us know how you like it once you get set up and start playing around with it. BTW, why didn't you get an iMac?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Like Murch said, congrats. That's one serious machine. I hope you have better luck with reliabilty than with your PBs. Let us know how you like it once you get set up and start playing around with it. BTW, why didn't you get an iMac?

because he's pro. so he gets the mac pro.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

because he's pro. so he gets the mac pro.

I've got a MBP. Does that make me a pro?

BTW, I'm not a pro. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've got a MBP. Does that make me a pro?

BTW, I'm not a pro. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

I have never understood who is a pro and who is not. All people having a job are pro's, right? Hey, even the gamers are pro's.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Well the time finally came for me to get a new computer due to my PowerBook G4 failing and I decided I couldn't wait any longer. Given my bad luck with my last two PowerBooks, I decided to get a tower.

I ended up getting the 'standard' configuration with 2x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon processors, 1 GB of RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256 MB graphics card, and a 16x SuperDrive. I also picked up a new printer, an Airport Extreme base station (802.11n), and an Airport Express.

I'm also going to pick up some more RAM but I'm not going to pay Apple's prices.

Congrats. A good choice with a tower given your PB woes. I was going to suggest more RAM, but I'd pick that up later too. I can't believe they only inlcude 1GB standard? My MBP came with 2GB!?

What printer did you get? I'm going to be in the market for an all-in-one to replace my 7 year old HP 895cse. My ex has an Epson 7800, which is great for most things.

Good move on holding off on the display I think, too. They should be updated fairly soon to 24 inches...right?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:

OWC has some great prices on RAM and HDs for the Mac Pro. Last time I looked they had 2 sticks of matched 2GB RAM for 398 USD. Very attractive price.

I disagree that we'll see LED ACDs, but we might see new LCD-based ACDs with iSight cameras built-in. I think that LED prices are still too high for larger display uses.

Enjoy your new beast.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

OWC has some great prices on RAM and HDs for the Mac Pro. Last time I looked they had 2 sticks of matched 2GB RAM for 398 USD. Very attractive price.

I disagree that we'll see LED ACDs, but we might see new LCD-based ACDs with iSight cameras built-in. I think that LED prices are still too high for larger display uses.

Enjoy your new beast.

Uh, when did Fran suggest the new displays would be LED?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    some gamers are noobs, others are pwnerers/pro's

people who have jobs are noobs, unless their job is so that they can pay for their internet to own noobs, then you're pro.

fran is a moderator. he has admin capabilities. admins pwn noob haxors with their leet admin commands, and haxors are noobs, therefore fran is pro.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Enjoy your new beast.

Is that:

OWC Mac Pro Certified ram

OR

OWC Apple Qualified ram ?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    iclickiclick Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Wow, our situations sound spookly similar.. I've stretched the maximum life out of my PowerBook.. although mine sounds a little more healthy. (Just upgraded the HD as I thought the last one would expire any minute)

I've got an email ready to press send to my supplier for a MacPro with the same spec as yours, except I opted for the ATi Radeon X1900 XT. Until I read your post, I hadn't considered a revision to the graphics card..

Unlike you (sorry to hear), my powerbook has the capacity to limp along for a few weeks so waiting until after WWDC is an option, except for a deal Apple Australia is doing. They have A$500 off any ACD when ordered with a MacPro. This deal expires on the eve of WWDC which normally would be a sign of something being announced. What has me puzzled is why it seems only Apple Australia are doing the promotion, not worldwide (correct me if I'm wrong)

If the bundle is only offered in Australia, then my guess we could expect a local price drop on either MacPro's or ACD's (the aussie dollar has been getting stronger for a while)

If it was an offer being made worldwide, then I would expect hardware changes..updated graphic cards, BluRay as CTO or ACD's with in built iSight. I don't think we'll see LED ACD's available just yet.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

some gamers are noobs, others are pwnerers/pro's

people who have jobs are noobs, unless their job is so that they can pay for their internet to own noobs, then you're pro.

fran is a moderator. he has admin capabilities. admins pwn noob haxors with their leet admin commands, and haxors are noobs, therefore fran is pro.

l33t i5 p4553...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fire3500 View Post

l33t i5 p4553...

leet is passe? hell no!