Macbook Pro Update

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    ppumappuma Posts: 1member
    What do you guys think the new MB specs will look like?? I read some rumors that apple was going to introduce a 15'' MB?!?! I'm hoping the new MB will use Santa Rosa, improving the graphics with GMX3100 over the current GMA950. That's really the only thing that turns me off the MB.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppuma View Post

What do you guys think the new MB specs will look like?? I read some rumors that apple was going to introduce a 15'' MB?!?! I'm hoping the new MB will use Santa Rosa, improving the graphics with GMX3100 over the current GMA950. That's really the only thing that turns me off the MB.

Might want to look at Apple.com before you make this kind of post. Unless there's a special one-off addition, I think the MacBook will be stable for awhile.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppuma View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

Might want to look at Apple.com before you make this kind of post. Unless there's a special one-off addition, I think the MacBook will be stable for awhile.

A 15" MB would be an imbecile move, stealing sales away from the MBPs, what Jobs has said they are going to concentrate on this year. Santa Rosa is also too high performance for the low-end notebook, while the MBP could very well obtain the technology in it's impending update coming any time now. I am hoping maybe tomorrow on that. Also, the MB was updated a week ago today. It won't see any more for at least 6 months, I should expect, maybe more. Use Commodus' tip, and even stay up to date on the headlines here on appleinsider.com as well. There will usually be an article on any product changes/introductions, etc.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

A 15" MB would be an imbecile move, stealing sales away from the MBPs

I couldn't disagree more. There should be 13, 15 and 17" screen options for both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. It is ridiculous to use screen size as one of the differentiating factors, especially given that 15" is the most popular screen-size. There are many that are unwilling to compromise on the screen-size, and also unwilling to spend $1999. These people buy PCs, many of them would buy Macs instead if they could.

Apple is at the stage now where it can easily afford to expand its range - there's definitely enough demand there to support a full MacBook and MacBook Pro range.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

There should be 13, 15 and 17" screen options for both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. It is ridiculous to use screen size as one of the differentiating factors, especially given that 15" is the most popular screen-size.

I agree 100%.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

There should be 13, 15 and 17" screen options for both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

This is stretching it a bit, but yeah, why not.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    sorry to burst the bubble but I don't think its that likely, look at it from another view point; in order to maintain decent performance a 15" macbook, let alone 17", would need a gfx card - not the bog-standard intel 950 rubbish - so that in effect means something worthwhile, now take a look at the 15" MBP...see?

Whilst I agree that a 15" MB would be nice I don't think it would happen as it would cut into the sales of the MBPs. The logical way around this would be reduce the cost of the 13" MB and put a 15" in its place...though again I suspect this is unlikely to happen. Apple have set a price and people are paying it. so where's the need for a change?
  • Reply 68 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

sorry to burst the bubble but I don't think its that likely, look at it from another view point; in order to maintain decent performance a 15" macbook, let alone 17", would need a gfx card

Well, the 13" MacBook doesn't have "decent performance" graphics-wise, so there's no "decent performance" to maintain. The point is that good graphics performance would be one of the differentiating factors between a 15" MacBook and a 15" MacBook Pro. There are plenty of laptop PCs with 15" screens and integrated graphics.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

Apple have set a price and people are paying it. so where's the need for a change?

To get even more customers. Apple's starting position is 2.5% global market share. Imagine what it would do to their income to reach 5%.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

...especially given that 15" is the most popular screen-size. There are many that are unwilling to compromise on the screen-size

You said it right there. Apple would shoot themselves in the foot if they made a 15" MB. The point of the screen upgrade causing a jump to the pro machine is about capturing more profit. for all of those people who are willing to spend that much more for a larger scree, they make that much more; if they made a cheaper 15", a good chunk of the people who would be getting the MBP would be getting a MB less, thus Apple's profits start to decline. It's all about profit in any business, not just making good products. Sometimes selection is just what is used to force more profit.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

if they made a cheaper 15", a good chunk of the people who would be getting the MBP would be getting a MB less, thus Apple's profits start to decline. It's all about profit in any business, not just making good products. Sometimes selection is just what is used to force more profit.

The thing is, I believe that you are incorrect about the severity of the cannibalisation that the MacBook Pro would see. This is the same argument that is used against the introduction of a headless Mac between the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

There is no way to settle the argument apart from releasing a 15" MacBook and seeing how many new customers it brings Vs. how many 15" MacBook Pro purchases it cannibalises. I believe that after 1 year, the number of extra customers would far more than simply make up for the number of cannibalised MacBook Pros.

Don't forget that a 15" MacBook, relative to the 15" MacBook Pro, would:
    • Be heavier

• Be thicker

• Have much worse graphics performance

• Have a slower CPU

• Have no Firewire 800

• Have no cardbus slot

• Possibly have a lower-resolution screen

• Possibly have a lower maximum RAM limit

• Reply 71 of 73
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    Is anybody else craving the updated Macbook Pro as much as I? I seriously can't wait!!!!!!!!

I really really wanted the 17", but if it doesn't come with the LED backlight, I might settle for the 15". Oh well.

Anxiously Waiting.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Is anybody else craving the updated Macbook Pro as much as I? I seriously can't wait!!!!!!!!

I really really wanted the 17", but if it doesn't come with the LED backlight, I might settle for the 15". Oh well.

Anxiously Waiting.

My 17" MBP was stolen last week. It was only a few months old. Now I guess I'll wait a week or two to replace it in order to get the most up to date, relevant technology, but if they release a loaded 15" with LED and no 17" I'll be very sad (which will happen because there apparently just isn't such a thing as 17" LEDs). I've had 17" Apple notebooks for over 3 years and I'm pretty sure the 15 screen will feel small to me now. I do some graphics work and audio work and the 17" is perfect. People that complain about the size/weight must be elderly or something... 17" MBP's are light and thin, even at 17". I'm typing on a 17" HP right now and it's like going back 20 years! It must weigh over 10 lbs and is chunky and awkward. I'm praying for a freak shocker announcement in the next two weeks for a 17" LED MBP... I'd also like an Audi R8.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

...if they release a loaded 15" with LED and no 17" I'll be very sad (which will happen because there apparently just isn't such a thing as 17" LEDs).

See my other post to you