Weird Vintage Mac Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just got a old Macintosh Plus as a gift (nostalgia!) and am trying to set it up with all the original software I used to use.

So far I got Dark Castle, etc.

What I cannot find is MacPlaymate. I was 14 when it was originally out and I think it would be cool to have.

Anybody know where to find a copy? I tried various net searches but only found articles about it, not the actual software.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    some time ago there use to be a server on hotline which pretty much had most of the vintage mac software (it was completely free since the software was so defunct there was little demand) i forgot what it was called but u could try looking for it or perhaps look at lowendmac.com they might have info on their mailing lists
  • Reply 2 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I've been looking for some vintage software myself. There were a slew of graphic/text based mystery games by Infocom?

One of the titles was Deja Vu.

It seemed like a great game but, I only had a floppy drive on my 512K mac back then and found I ended up inserting the diskette in and out every 10 minutes!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    I have an Apple 2 GS 'Woz' Edition, which I have exclusively to play a hacker video game called Neuromancer. Neuromancer is a novel by a guy named William Gibson, highly recommended dark postmodern sci fi.

Anyway, guess who does the soundtrack for the video game... DEVO!!! I shit you not!

Gibson + Neuromancer + Devo + hacking + retro 80's computing = sweet

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but damn, sounds sweet.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I believe the hotline server was called the library of abandonware....I don't have the address though...but I did visit there once and they have thousands of REALLY old mac stuff maybe you might find it via hlsearch.com?

[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: Wrong Robot ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    <a href="http://www.carracho.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.carracho.com/</a>;

There are a couple servers which have old stuff. Try "Mac OS 6" it's got lots of old stuff of many different generations.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I'll email you Wolfenstein 3D.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    I still have a copy of MacPlaymate on a floppy disk somewhere. That was a pretty silly piece of software.