FrameMaker 7 -- have they dropped the SGML version?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I see that Adobe are going to release details of FrameMaker 7 today (though MacNN and MacCentral have details already). What i can't see is any indication of the SGML version which the company I work for uses a lot. We run lots of structured document projects, output to postscript for print and HTML.

Has anyone any news?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    and no os x support - why? can't they just recompile the unix-version?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    [quote]Originally posted by dividend:

<strong>and no os x support - why? can't they just recompile the unix-version?</strong><hr></blockquote>

the unix version wasn't ever more than a beta was it? we had it but as we couldn't use all our fonts correctly it wasn't ideal for us...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    don't know about the unix-version, but framemaker 7 is available for three unix-dialects, why don't just scrap the os 9 and go for the unix-part?

guess, if the next version (8?) is for os x then they might be forgiven. as for your question, don't even know what sgml is - what is it?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    [quote]Originally posted by dividend:

<strong>guess, if the next version (8?) is for os x then they might be forgiven. as for your question, don't even know what sgml is - what is it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Standard Generalised Markup Language. The Daddy of HTML and XML. Its been around a while but of large publications its the bomb!

Well looks like they merged the standard and SGML version together.

Looking at the feature list it looks excellent. Apart from OS X native of course. My only 'wish'? The InDesign hyphenation engine as Frames is arse
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ok, sorry for my ignorance, html is for making web-pages, what is xml then for?

i have mainly used framemaker for writing essays in school, damn good for making a structural paper. In comparison with indesign, i miss the advanced textcontrol like optical kerning and so forth, don't know about hyphenation, though its built-in spellchecker (version 5 or was it 6) was pretty bad. indesign is however not a replacement option for framemaker - is there any replacement for framemaker at all? and for os x?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    my great interest in FrameMaker lies in it's use of the WebWorks companion program that converts documents to html and for output to PDA's etc.

the hitch is that Webworks is a PC and UNIX platform program.

as i understand it Framemaker 7 is not OSX ready.

so i guess that means that WebWorks is not available to Mac users.

i haven't confirmed any of this so if you could clear some of it up for me that would be good.