delete

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

delete

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Ouch! Take to an Apple Store, let them look at it, see if you can get them to verify that it is working even with the damage. The warranty can be easily voided by physical damage, you need to try to get them to acknowledge that it is working. They may not, but you gotta try.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Stimpy, you eeediot!

Anyway, stuff like this happens... what can I say? Since you recently bought it, it seems like it'd be worth it to get it fixed, no? You might want to get an insurance policy too. You wouldn't drive uninsured, so why walk around with a $3,000 accident waiting to happen?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    The Apple Store just refers you to the mail-in hardware service. They won't even package it for me, according to the guy on the phone.

Our insurance deductible is way above the price to fix it.

I might try to fix it myself with replacement parts.

Thanks!!

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 4 of 7
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

The Apple Store just refers you to the mail-in hardware service. They won't even package it for me, according to the guy on the phone.

Our insurance deductible is way above the price to fix it.

I might try to fix it myself with replacement parts.

Thanks!!

-=|Mgkwho

I think that the first thing you should do is verify that it is working normally. My son's friend (can you believe it!) dropped my 12" Powerbook onto its top right-hand corner (near the screen) and bent the case. It is very similar in construction to yours. It won't see the RAM that I had added (via a little external door and single socket). I am therefore left with 256MB! This would imply some damage to the main board. (The RAM is seated properly.)

Then, if everything is OK, try to sell it before MWSF and see what is released! Take the charge if you can afford it, someone will love it anyway and you'll have upgraded to the latest.

Hope it works out!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Ah i get chills thinking about what i would do if i dropped my macbook...

Sorry this happened.

Anyways. I would definitely try fixing it yourself. And if not send it to apple and drop the 600 bucks. Not very many people are going to want to mess with repairing this from ebay or something like that so i dont think you will get much back.

However you could use this as an excuse to upgrade to a brand new LED macbook
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    I had decided to do the work myself rather then sending it out, for as much as I can.

Well the corners are better now that it has been taken apart and "gently" placed back (using a block, cloth, hammer, pliers, et. al.) It's almost back to normal.

But the plastic on the bottom surrounding the horizontal surface of the keyboard is horribe so I'm taking it in claiming the black dots from my corrosion.

Thanks!

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 7 of 7
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

... claiming the black dots from my corrosion.

-=|Mgkwho

Hi

I don't understand the last part of your statement.

Any surprises as you dissassembled the system. It's a 17" MBP right?