Virtual Keyboard?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, first time poster and happy to be joining the apple insider community...

I'm starting this thread because as a frequent lurker of this board I've seen huge amounts of talk on the iPhone's multi-touch capability as well as the speculation on if / when it will make the jump to the iMac / cinema displays, etc. But, ignoring multi-touch for a minute, are there applications that will allow me to interact with OSX without a keyboard?

I know that on several tablet pc's / handheld devices that I've used, it is standard to be able to use a stylus to interact with the device (including the use of a virtual keyboard.)

Here's the reason for my inquiry:

I'm planning on purchasing a mac-mini for my kitchen and having it reside in a cabinet with the (hopefully) sole input device being a touch screen monitor. Pointing and clicking shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to be able to surf the internet as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What's your question?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    There's a bunch of different features in the OS you can use.

You can summon a virtual keyboard from the optional input menu. Go to the "International" System Preference and check the "Keyboard Viewer" option under the "Input Menu" tab.

Also, if you plug in a graphics tablet you can use the built-in handwriting recognition software. You should see a new System Preference called "Ink" which has all sorts of options you can configure. In my experience the handwriting recognition is a bit flaky, but it could just be that I use one of Wacom's cheapo tablets instead of the pro ones.

Anyway, you can find a ton more info by going through the OSX help files and reading through the Ink and Input Menu pages.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

You can summon a virtual keyboard from the optional input menu. Go to the "International" System Preference and check the "Keyboard Viewer" option under the "Input Menu" tab.

Thanks, I think this was exactly what I was looking for and I'm glad that it's part of OSX by default and that I don't have to rely on any third party apps.

Sorry if the initial post wasn't all that clear.