Quanta lands orders for future iPhone - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Taiwanese notebook manufacturer Quanta Computer has secured a contract with Apple Inc. to build the first successor to the iPhone, according to reports.

On Tuesday, Taiwan's two largest financial newspapers said the company, which already manufacturers certain MacBook models for Apple, will start churning out iPhones this September at an initial run rate of about 5 million handsets.

Both the Chinese-language Commercial Times and Economic Daily News reported that Apple is also scheduled to take delivery of the new handset starting in September, but neither cited sources.

The reports added that "the second-generation device" will reportedly offer "a different outer design to fit different markets."

In an ensuing statement, Quanta said that while it is taking measures to win new orders and increase business, it does not comment on rumors due to confidentiality agreements with customers.

Meanwhile, DigiTimes cited a source at Quanta who claims the company has not won orders for the iPhone yet, but it's vigorously competing to do so.

Apple's inaugural iPhone handset, due in late June, is believed to be manufactured by Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.).

Quanta is presently the world's largest contract notebook PC manufacturer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    andrewcodandrewcod Posts: 19member
  • Reply 2 of 35
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Wasn't Apple rumored a year or so ago the plan on a flash model first, followed by a HD model about 6 months later? Sounds logical to me, especially with the potential load of music, pics, movies, etc that could be downloaded onto the iPhone.

Looks like the Holiday buying season is going to be a good one for Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    cool, I guess this is the HSDPA version that Apple promised would follow "shortly" after the first version.

This will be suitable for Europe, Japan, Korea and Australia!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    babaroobabaroo Posts: 8member
    I'll bet that this is not the next gen iPhone, but the next gen iPod. These asian "news" sources are always off in some way, but always kinda close. Combine this news with the current crop of next gen iPod rumors...you see where this is going.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    3g 3g 3g 3g
  • Reply 7 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I got there first!

Yeah true, that's what I was thinking, I say merge these threads. I also second that it will be 3G, and the exterior will look the same.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Not very likely a second gen of the iPhone.

With the iPhone coming out middle to end of June, the phone would be about 90 days only on the market before this new one comes out.

I highly dougth it.

This may be an international version possibly with 3G and what ever Japan uses (don't know what it is).

It can also be the 6G iPod.

But not likely a 2nd gen of the iPhone.

• Reply 9 of 35
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Not very likely a second gen of the iPhone.

With the iPhone coming out middle to end of June, the phone would be about 90 days only on the market before this new one comes out.

Remember, they need FCC approval on this one too.

/Adrian
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

/Adrian

Thanks, this makes it even less likely that it will be a second gen.

New versions of the phone for USA use will need to be pre anounce, they need to send the new versions for FCC approval as Adrian pointed out.

We should know about the new versions if any shortly after Apple sends them to the FCC and the word will come from Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

Wasn't Apple rumored a year or so ago the plan on a flash model first, followed by a HD model about 6 months later? Sounds logical to me, especially with the potential load of music, pics, movies, etc that could be downloaded onto the iPhone.

I don't ever remember seeing that rumor. I kind of doubt it. The 1.8" hard drives seem to be pretty prone to failure, and I think it would add another 1/4" to the thickness of the device because it needs a bigger battery and that the drive is about twice as thick as a card with memory chips on it.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    3g and gps!!!!
  • Reply 13 of 35
    danukdanuk Posts: 31member
    If the iPhone arrives in the UK with 3G that will be perfect and completely make up for the 3 month delay compared to the US release.

But one question still remains utterly unanswered... we can't cope with the uncertainty... we're holding on to old handsets not wanting to get into another 12 month contract...

Which network will Apple go with?????????????

Do they have a sense of fun and see the possibility of an Apple-Orange marriage? Will it just be a stand-alone handset with no affiliation to a network?

I crave information! (although in the absence of information, wild, glorious speculation will do).

(ps my 1st post felt really good)
  • Reply 14 of 35
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Another 5 million handsets ON TOP OF the 6 Million original shipment (which has an option for 6 million more before years end). For a company that said it hoped to sell 10 million in the first year and a half, they sure are ordering a lot up front (11-16 million). I think their 10 million is just a ploy to set the bar low. They are currently making 11 million, do you really think they are going to get them around for another year before they sell?

Apple has a history of setting the bar low and then smashing expectations. But when they put their money where their mouths are you gotta admire that.

This huge upfront buy of handsets bodes well for competitive pricing on their monthly plans. They will be low, because Verizon turned them down because Apple simply was asking too much. Cingular/Att was obviously more hungry for new subscribers. A better long-term strategy.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I also second that it will be 3G, and the exterior will look the same.

It can't be the same AND 3G, unless they've found some way of hiding a front facing camera.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Only if it's for the USA. If is for Europe, they don't. Since you lot don't need a 3G GSM phone just yet, no big deal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanUK View Post

Do they have a sense of fun and see the possibility of an Apple-Orange marriage? Will it just be a stand-alone handset with no affiliation to a network?

I hope not to both of those. It'll need a good data plan, and Orange doesn't have one of those and if they just sell it standalone it will be prohibitively expensive.

Today I was out in Manchester and Orange would give me a free N95 and a free photo frame for signing up and free unlimited text and evening calls. Completely pointless I told them - I want free data not £75 a month EXTRA for an unlimited plan. Looks like it'll be T-Mobile for me next - free N95, cheaper plan and 'unlimited' data for £7.50 a month. And £100 cash for an old nokia handset that's about 6 year old as trade in.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

For a company that said it hoped to sell 10 million in the first year and a half, they sure are ordering a lot up front (11-16 million).

Perhaps they're expecting a lot to fail and need replacing. It is an Apple 1st gen product after all
  • Reply 17 of 35
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    there's gonna be 2 models!

usa: edge and wifi

eu: 3g, wifi and gps

;-)
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

It can't be the same AND 3G, unless they've found some way of hiding a front facing camera.

What are you talking about? A camera is one of the uses of 3G, it's not 3G. 3G in Europe is mainly used for fast internet access, or mobile TV.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

there's gonna be 2 models!

usa: edge and wifi

eu: 3g, wifi and gps

;-)

When I think two models, I think iPhone and iPhone nano, not just the chips inside the phones. Hmmm chips!
  • Reply 20 of 35
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Only if it's for the USA. If is for Europe, they don't. Since you lot don't need a 3G GSM phone just yet, no big deal.

Not quite sure what you try to say with this one, but I'm European, Swedish in fact. I assume they want to make sure it is CE-approved, but that won't take particulary long time.