2nd Gen iPone for Europe in Sept 07

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
According to Mac Rumors:

The Commercial Times reports that Quanta Computer has received orders to assemble approximately 5 million Apple iPhones for shipment in September. It appears this is an additional order beyond the first batch which was originally placed with Foxconn (Hon Hai). The initial shipment is presumably due in late-June to meet Apple's target date.

Forbes was unable to get any further commentary about the report from the newspaper, but Digitimes provides some curious details from the report, indicating the September order is meant to fill a different market:

Quote:

The iPhone produced by Foxconn is designated for the US market, and those manufactured by Quanta will be similar in function to those from Foxconn but with a different outer design to fit different markets, the paper quoted sources at Taiwan-based component makers as saying.

The iPhone's U.S. launch is expected in late June (20th?), while the European launch has been said to be in the 4th Quarter of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Bet any money it wont be a different outer design, but will be 3G, and that's where the different market thing comes in, different as in Europe.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I agree, however there may be some design modifications required to accommodate the 3G antenna. This could be where the difference in casing may come in. If it is different, I doubt it will be of any significance.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I agree, however there may be some design modifications required to accommodate the 3G antenna. This could be where the difference in casing may come in. If it is different, I doubt it will be of any significance.

Agreed.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    3G also eats up battery life, so a slightly thicker form factor might be required for a slightly larger battery.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

3G also eats up battery life, so a slightly thicker form factor might be required for a slightly larger battery.

Highly doubtful.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Highly doubtful.

Why is that?