Creative Stone - a serious Shuffle contender?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was planning on buying a Shuffle or a nano for my girlfriend in a few months to replace her old Creative Zen brick, but I just saw a review of the Creative Stone.

For about £20, you get 1Gb of space, shuffle sizing, and it works as a USB drive, so it will work on any Mac or PC. Ace.

Okay so it doesn't sync with iTunes, and it isn't aluminium, but at £20, it makes the shuffle look a bit pricey. Time for a slight Shuffle price drop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    It's plastic. It doesn't function as a clip. It's most likely not nearly as durable as the Shuffle.

That would explain the lower price.

It doesn't sync with iTunes.

That would stop me from getting it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

It's plastic. It doesn't function as a clip. It's most likely not nearly as durable as the Shuffle.

That would explain the lower price.

It doesn't sync with iTunes.

That would stop me from getting it.

I'm surprised no one has made a driver to let a mass storage player to work with iTunes. Missing Sync does something like that for PDA devices.

The "stone" looks like a pretty large device too, take a look at the measurements. It looks like it might be larger than the old shuffle in volume.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    So is £20 all she's worth to you?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

So is £20 all she's worth to you?

Ha, well if it's £20, it leaves me money to spend on other things for her (or a new iMac for myself!)

In all seriousness, I still think a nano is a far better option, but I thought this looked like an interesting, useful and kind of cute product for the price - I don't think it's much bigger than the current shuffle.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    I think it looks really nice, actually. I just don't think it would be that durable, and I'd hate dragging songs manually to it. All my music is in iTunes, so I'd actually have to right-click and get to the artist folder, then find the songs I want by browsing around in Finder... Ech!

But if you're used to that, and if you're looking for a cheap, who-cares-if-I-lose-it player, it looks better than most things out there.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I do agree actually. It's not bad for the money, however I'd still pay the extra extra £21.01 for the Shuffle. Not just because it's an iPod, but for the durability factor, iTunes compatability, built in clip and the docking cradle.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    How about the extra £29 for the shuffle since the shuffle is £49 here now? I would probably join you to be honest - I like my aluminium casings and iTunes support, but I still suspect that this makes the shuffle a tad over-priced. Perhaps if the shuffle was £39 it would be better value - then at least it is only twice the price for iTunes compatability and aluminium casing.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The Creative Stone is actually £27.99 plus shipping. So with standard shipping from Creative you're looking at £34.98. Apple don't charge shipping on the Shffle so the difference is actually only £14.02!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    61% heavier. 106% bigger. No support for any music download store besides Audible. No keeping track of play count, playback position, last played, whathaveyou, making it virtually useless for podcasts as well.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    It's cheap. It's simple. Period. That's what it's for and that's what got the Shuffle popular in the first place, stop kidding yourself about the stone having less features. I've never used my shuffle for audio books and quite certain I never will. I have my nano for that. I'm also suspecting alot of shuffle users/speculants are doing about the same: using the shuffle as a quick music player that fits in every pocket.

Not being compatible with iTunes but rather using a drag-and-drop interface is a *plus* to many customers as they don't see the need for content management on such a simple player anyway. Of course it's a serious contender, whether it'll succeed, however, is another story, yet without an ending. A copy in concept? Yup (especially, considering what the Creative CEO had to say about the Shuffle when it launced).
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blip View Post

Not being compatible with iTunes but rather using a drag-and-drop interface is a *plus* to many customers as they don't see the need for content management on such a simple player anyway.

If itunes isnt drag and drop, what is?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    blipblip Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

If itunes isnt drag and drop, what is?

With drag and drop I meant UMS. As in: shows up as an external drive on any modern operating system without any extra software.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    The big flaw in the Creative Stone is that it only plays music in alphanumeric order!

Creative's own FAQ recommends renaming tunes with numbers in front of the name (001,002,003 etc) to get around this problem.

The ability to put music in "folders" that can be skipped is nice, but still to access them in the order you want, you'll have to use that clumsy filename numbering scheme.

With the iPod shuffle + iTunes, you can either sort tunes by albums, artists etc. but you can also set an arbitrary order. I used this extensively when I had a shuffle (I now have a nano). I used to put my favorites at the start and end of the playlist, so they could be easily accessed when triple-clicking the play button (that makes the playhead jump to the first tune in the list).

Edit:

BTW if you want to be able to copy songs on and off an iPod on any modern computer without installing extra software on the host, just put a program like YamiPod on the disk part of your iPod, and run it from there.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

The big flaw in the Creative Stone is that it only plays music in alphanumeric order!

Creative's own FAQ recommends renaming tunes with numbers in front of the name (001,002,003 etc) to get around this problem.

Now that's lame. I think that's probably the price for having this thing be limited by not having a program manage what's on the device. I think you can do it by having a playlist file, but then, you still have to have a program to manage what's in that playlist, and worry about whether the items in the playlist are on the device.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Now that really is pants! Why anyone would consider it now is beyond me.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Now that really is pants! Why anyone would consider it now is beyond me.

ha, this story is going to blow your mind. last week my father bought my mom a creative zen V plus for her birthday. I asked him why the hell he would buy a piece of shit like that and how much it cost him. he replied by saying it was around 150 plus tax ( canadian ). i said why the hell didn't you get the nano, which is much more durable, and quality wise way better. and my father responded by saying, the person who he spoke to at futureshop told me that the creative zen was better. then i just laughed and said that the people who work at future shop must not know that much about electronics.

Creative Zen V Plus Features:

- Photo Viewer

- Video Viewer

- Music Player ( duh )

- and it works on the same sort of system as itunes would, with artists and albums and what not.

- Very small, sort of ugly, made out of plastic

iPod Nano

- Photo Viewer

- Music Player (duh)

- very nice and easy to use layout.

- Games ( solitaire, parachute, and brick )

- very small and thin, very nice looking, made out of aluminum.

Now the only difference between the two is that the creative zen has video capabilities, but who the hell would want to watch a video on a 1 inch screen.

Price difference, about 50 bucks, but i think the price difference is very reasonable to get a product with the quality of sound and feel as the nano has, compared to a piece of plastic.

All in all, i can understand getting the creative player if you don't have the money for the best, but 50 bucks isn't really all that much. If it was me in future shop that day, i would have gone straight for the nano and gotten that instead of the zen.

Thank you for reading my story.

Edit: the zen has a 2gb hard drive.