Most AT&T stores expecting less than 40 iPhones at launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The waiting list is probably different, from what I've read, it just puts you on a list of people to call when it comes in, but the phones are still first-come-first-served, you don't get one that's set aside just for you.

A reservation is basically a down payment to have a phone that's set aside for you to come in when you can and it will still be there for you.

I called my local AT&T store and got on their waiting list. I explicitly asked if being on the waiting list meant you have precedence over people not on the list, and the person I talked to said it does.

*Shrugs
  • Reply 22 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by draggerman11 View Post

I called my local AT&T store and got on their waiting list. I explicitly asked if being on the waiting list meant you have precedence over people not on the list, and the person I talked to said it does.

*Shrugs

My question is whether it reserves a unit in your name or not. My experience with reserving items before it launches is that you have to put a small down payment on it. They might be doing what you say though, as a way of weaseling out of the alleged/rumored "no presale, no preorder" mandate.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by draggerman11 View Post

*Shrugs

I called mine and they said they were told NOT to take any names or create the impression that you can reserve or pre-order an iPhone. "Absolutely no lists" was the way the manager put it. I'll be annoyed if it turns out you'll be able to do it, whatever the corporate policy
  • Reply 24 of 33
    imichaelimichael Posts: 9member
    My local AT&T store does not have a list.

I guess I'll have to wait in line.

But for how long???
  • Reply 25 of 33
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    The Studio City store is not taking reservations.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

if an average cellphone sale takes 30 minutes and the average cell phone store is open 12 hours, and with 2 sales people making constant sales all day, that's only 48 phones TOTAL in a day.

Yeah, and it's such a shame they have that law only allowing two salespeople per store, right?

Also we know that Apple has been spending a lot of time and money optimizing the sales and marketing strategy in store for the iPhone, so this should be less intensive on salespeoples' time than many phones. People want to try it, the sales guy says 'go check out the kiosk over there - see you in 10'
  • Reply 27 of 33
    i don't know how big you think the stores are, or how many sales terminals you think they have, but even with 20 employees, if someone forgot to shower, everyone is going to know it. I don't think anyone outside of a very small population is as excited about this device as the hype is leading up to it.

if they released the phone 4 months ago when they told everyone about it, I think it woulda sold much better.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    So how long would you guys wait in line for the iPhone? Just curious. I'd pull an all nighter starting at 9 or 10 pm the night before.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My brother and I would go 3 hours before we quit. We plan on being somewhere the iPhone is the moment it comes out. Hopefully, I can kiss my BlackBerry goodbye if the coverage is there. It is hard to beat Verizon coverage.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My question is whether it reserves a unit in your name or not. My experience with reserving items before it launches is that you have to put a small down payment on it. They might be doing what you say though, as a way of weaseling out of the alleged/rumored "no presale, no preorder" mandate.

Yeah, I don't know. They took my name and phone number down, so unless they are just doing a waiting list to please impatient customers like myself, and then don't plan on honoring it, I guess people on the list get precedence. I find it hard to believe, though, that if someone walks in before someone on the list gets one that they'd tell them "sorry we're holding them for people on the list."

My question is how is the Apple store going to handle it. Are they going to be equipped to enable your new contract all in the store, or are you going to have to do that over the phone with AT&T? I'd much rather get it at the Apple store.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiko View Post

So how long would you guys wait in line for the iPhone? Just curious. I'd pull an all nighter starting at 9 or 10 pm the night before.

I gave up waiting in overnight lines when I graduated high school.

I know it'll be a couple/few days later than the earliest adopters, but I'm going to just order it online at the Apple store.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i'm not waiting in line overnight.

when it's announced that they're available, i'll head over to the apple store for an early lunch or afternoon break. it's 10 minutes away. if they're sold out [doubt it] i'll check the att stores [2] in the same mall. if they're both sold out, i'll call the store by my house. IF they're sold out, i'll a] be suprised, b] order one online and hold onto my slvr for another couple weeks. what's another couple weeks. it's been 5 months.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I've never understood the idea of being first with these things.