Apple to focus on Macs at upcoming developer conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When Apple chief executive Steve Jobs takes the stage at the company's Worldwide Developer Conference later this month, he's likely to confine his focus to the Mac platform, according to one Wall Street analyst.

"Similar to previous WWDC events, we believe Jobs' keynote will most likely be Mac-centric," American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu told clients in a research note on Friday. "We anticipate the focus will be on Mac OS X Leopard, its next-generation operating system, and introduction of new Macs."

Leopard

Wu believes the most anticipated announcement will revolve around its undocumented secret features in Leopard, noting that many in the user community are hoping Apple will announce "virtual machine" technology that allows users to run multiple operating systems simultaneously.

"If so, we believe this would serve as a major catalyst for Mac sales," he said. "We continue to believe the key reason Leopard was delayed until October was to give developers time to test secret features."

MacBook Pros

The analyst also cited sources who indicate that new MacBook Pros -- the first notebooks from Apple to incorporate LED-backlit displays and features of Intel's new Santa Rosa platform -- are also "likely" to see an introduction at the event.

"We view this as a positive step as this further differentiates the high-end MacBook Pro with higher performance, enhanced graphics and video capability, superior displays, and better battery life vs. the more mainstream MacBook," Wu wrote.

MacBook mini

Less likely but still "possible," according to the analyst, would be an introduction Apple's much rumored ultra-portable sub-notebook. "We believe there is a fair likelihood that Apple will introduce a new subnotebook named 'MacBook mini,' which uses NAND flash as primary storage," he explained. "We last talked about this groundbreaking product in early March and while our sources indicate that it could ship sooner rather than later, we believe it will more likely arrive in late 2007-early 2008."

The American Technology analyst said he has been told that timing of the sub-notebook will be dependent on NAND vendors' willingness to accelerate price declines, making NAND economically attractive for Apple to use in lieu of HDD storage.

The last time Apple had a subnotebook was in 1997-98 with the PowerBook 2400, which weighed 4.4 pounds and had a 10.4-inch screen.

Steve Jobs is scheduled to deliver his WWDC '07 keynote speech in San Francisco, CA on Monday, June 11, 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Multiple OSs on Leopard? Ugh! I don't want Vista or XP on my Mac; I just want the apps. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for native install of PC apps in Leopard.

Then I could finally run TerdPerfect -- it's for work; I hate it -- and Office for Windows on a Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    I don't care about portables! Bring on the new iPhone-resembling iMacs!
  • Reply 3 of 96
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    They forgot the iMac?

This iMac have this design for a while.

I'm sure we will have a new iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    No Virtual Machine tech.

Apple sells Parallels in the Apple Store so if you're interested, try that.

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 96
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    What the hell is Apple thinking? Focusing on computers and their OS at their developer's conference? People don't expect to go to a developer's conference and hear about that kind of thing! The only reason people are going to this thing is because they're expecting to find a free iPhone under their seats at the keynote!

What's next. Apple going to a MacWorld conference and actually talking about the Macintosh?
  • Reply 6 of 96
    andrewcodandrewcod Posts: 19member
  • Reply 7 of 96
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Pardon my french, but Wu don't know shit.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    The iMac is kind of being forgotten here... It hasn't had a new design (except for the iSight) since August 2004 - almost 3 years ago now!

Although existing Apple fans might not see Virtualization software as anything to be excited about, it has huge potential for Apple. Obviously a WINE like solution would be ideal - no need for a copy of Windows, but I doubt Apple have enough developers (or time) to finish WINE!

Whatever the features are, they probably ought to be better than the previously announced ones, or people are going to be disappointed.

As for a Macbook Mini - I think that'd be a confusing name - its surely going to be aimed at the Pro market (due to cost), so surely Macbook Pro Mini would be more apt...
  • Reply 9 of 96
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    I'll repeat my usual gripe:

If Apple doesn't release a midtower this year, I guess I'll skip another year. I haven't bought a Mac for at least 10 years now (my last was a PowerComputing). Newer models have been acquired through school dumpsters, and now here at work. Still, I am finally ready to buy one and there isn't a model for me. I don't want the iMac screen and I don't need to spend $2500 on a pro.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    I agree with SLewis. Apple isn't going to cut Parallels off at the knees. They sell it in their stores, and it's been advertised (slightly) by Apple. Especially now that it's really kicking it into high-gear, with the summer release having (supposedly) decent 3D support.
  • Reply 11 of 96
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They may take the opportunity, while all their developers are gathered in one place, to open up the iPhone for 3rd party development. A new version of XCode with iPhone development support mayvbe. So I don't think just because it's a developers conference it has to be all Mac.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    new iMacs

More about Leopard & iPhone

possible 10" Mac Book Mini

thats about it.
  • Reply 13 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

What the hell is Apple thinking? Focusing on computers and their OS at their developer's conference? People don't expect to go to a developer's conference and hear about that kind of thing! The only reason people are going to this thing is because they're expecting to find a free iPhone under their seats at the keynote!

What's next. Apple going to a MacWorld conference and actually talking about the Macintosh?

With the magnitude of live blogging of Job's keynotes and the Apple video feed relased later that day it makes more sense for Apple cater to the majority. Especially with the increased interest in the Mac platform.

Besides, there are plenty of developer workshops to make any Mac programmer's laptop all hot n' sticky.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Pardon my french, but Wu don't know shit.

Shit is Germanic in origin, not French.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

What the hell is Apple thinking? Focusing on computers and their OS at their developer's conference?

My thoughts exactly!
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andrewcod View Post

Digg it

The next time that I see a 'digg it' comment, I'll be looking at the ban stick.

Contribute to the thread and not to your Digg popularity, please.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

The next time that I see a 'digg it' comment, I'll be looking at the ban stick.

Thank you!
  • Reply 17 of 96
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

If Apple doesn't release a midtower this year, I guess I'll skip another year. I haven't bought a Mac for at least 10 years now (my last was a PowerComputing). Newer models have been acquired through school dumpsters, and now here at work. Still, I am finally ready to buy one and there isn't a model for me. I don't want the iMac screen and I don't need to spend $2500 on a pro.

Well, hell froze over once. But I wouldn't count on it again.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

How much are wanting to pay for a headless Mac?
  • Reply 19 of 96
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

surely Macbook Pro Mini would be more apt...

MacBook Pro Mini Express Extreme
  • Reply 20 of 96
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How much are wanting to pay for a headless Mac?

I think a lot of people including me. And I would LOVE it if it came with a video card with option 250mb of VRAM and setup so I could just plug in two digital LCD monitors without having to buy any external devices. Actually I'd like it to let me come out so that I could hook up three monitors but that would be gready.