Photoshop 7 price?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am running a pirate copy of Photoshop 5 now... (I know, that's bad, but hey, I'm a student and have next to no money). Anyhow, with the release of PS7, that might change...

However, I still can't quite afford the £250 ($375) education price. It's down a bit from the £600 ($900) full price, but still, it's a lot. Now, I could afford the £130 ($200) upgrade price... but would that work without me having the actual disks?

Yes, I have asked this question before, but back then I was told that the education normal price would be the same as the upgrade price. Therefore no-one answered my question. But since they're not, anyone know if this'll work?

Amorya

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Two words: Photoshop Elements. It offers next to all the power of Photoshop at an extremely attractive price. It's worlds better than Photoshop LE. Unless you're doing professional work, I'm hard-pressed to see why you'd need the full version of Photoshop. If you're doing professional work, the $175 price difference between upgrading and buying educational should be tolerable.

The only thing Photoshop Elements is missing that I miss is support for 16-bits per channel (well, and ImageReady, I suppose). Since my scanner puts out 12-bit color, using Elements didn't quite cut it for me when doing major color correction on faded slides. However, if I didn't have the money for the full version of Photoshop, Elements would have done just fine.

I'd just bite the bullet and buy a full version of Elements for less than $100. You'll feel better about yourself and it will cost you significantly less money.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Osakans:

<strong>Two words: Photoshop Elements. It offers next to all the power of Photoshop at an extremely attractive price. It's worlds better than Photoshop LE. Unless you're doing professional work, I'm hard-pressed to see why you'd need the full version of Photoshop. If you're doing professional work, the $175 price difference between upgrading and buying educational should be tolerable.

The only thing Photoshop Elements is missing that I miss is support for 16-bits per channel (well, and ImageReady, I suppose). Since my scanner puts out 12-bit color, using Elements didn't quite cut it for me when doing major color correction on faded slides. However, if I didn't have the money for the full version of Photoshop, Elements would have done just fine.

I'd just bite the bullet and buy a full version of Elements for less than $100. You'll feel better about yourself and it will cost you significantly less money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, it's not out for OSX, so it's pretty much out of the question for me until it is. That price looks nice... although I'd have to look in to just how compatible it is.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 8
    As to compatibility, Elements reads and writes standard .psd files with all layers and layer styles intact. If you try to open a Photoshop file using features that aren't supported in Elements (16 bits per channel for example), the program asks you whether you want to cancel opening the file or open it with the incompatible elements converted to compatible versions.

As to OS X compatibility, Elements is supposedly supported running under Classic, but there are some cosmetic glitches.

Good luck with your evaluation!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Osakans:

<strong>As to compatibility, Elements reads and writes standard .psd files with all layers and layer styles intact. If you try to open a Photoshop file using features that aren't supported in Elements (16 bits per channel for example), the program asks you whether you want to cancel opening the file or open it with the incompatible elements converted to compatible versions.

As to OS X compatibility, Elements is supposedly supported running under Classic, but there are some cosmetic glitches.

Good luck with your evaluation!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for your help. I think I'll give Elements a miss for now, due to non-nativeness. PS5 runs fine in Classic, the main reason I'd be upgrading would be for X compatibility. I thought that at the same time I could perhaps give Adobe a bit of money, as right now is one of the few times I'm not in a great deal of debt

Amorya
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sithsith Posts: 25member
    Well, the upgrade would probably work, but buying an upgrade for a pirate copy really doesn't make it any more legal than just pirating 7. If you're just looking to give adobe cash, I guess you can go that route, but since you don't have a legal license to 5.0, the upgrade license is kind of worthless...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You may want to check ebay of all places. There are some legit resellers there. I got a brand new shrinkwrapped 10 user license of Photoshop 4 back when it was shipping, and I've just continued to upgrade that license ever since. I paid US$200 for it, and got it about 2 months before 5 shipped.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    This probably doesn't help you right now, and it may never, but at the end of the semesters, my university would have sales at the book stores. i ended up picking up photoshop 5 for 25% off. if you look around and are patient, you never know what you may run into...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    yeah, look around, sometimes you'll find during version upgrades, that many places will offer you outdated copies plus upgrades for less than the price or a regular copy (sometimes educational places too!)