Jobs says "don't go to an Apple store" for iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Speaking to reporters at the Wall Street Journal D: All Things Digital conference this week, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs confirmed once again that his firm remains on track to begin shipping the first iPhone handsets in late June .

Apple, along with wireless partner AT&T, will begin selling the $499 and $599 devices through their brick-and-mortar retail stores later this month. iPhone will be available only from Apple and AT&T/Cingular wireless stores and will not be sold through AT&T affiliate stores such as Best Buy electronics retailers.

During a graduation speech last month at the West Texas A&M University, AT&T chief executive Stan Sigman billed the impending Apple handset roll-out as "the largest commercial product launch in the history of electronics."

Apple has yet to make an official announcement regarding a specific release date for iPhone, but Jobs reiterated during a D conference interview with the Journal's Walt Mossberg that his firm remains on track for a "late June" launch.

"Like the last day of June?," quipped Mossberg.

"Yeah, probably," Jobs said with a chuckle.

Editor's Note: A well-placed source has informed AppleInsider that Mr. Jobs was misquoted in a Huffington Post article referenced in an earlier version of this report. AppleInsider regrets syndicating the error.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    kisinkisin Posts: 14member
    First! (I just love this little inside joke)

Good luck getting an iPhone on the first day, I bet they will make the announcement the same day it will begin selling, not before as people expects, in an effort to avoid the bad experience of people camping out an waiting forever in line....

I can't wait to try one myself...
  • Reply 2 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    People will be going nuts come "i-Day"... It'll be like a movie premiere...
  • Reply 3 of 93
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    The HUGE day for Apple this month is obviously on iPhone day. But look for Steve Jobs to announce the release date on Monday the 11th at his WWDC keynote speech. The Famous "One more thing..."

He'll say one of two things:

1. He will announce a release date of the iPhone release as "The iPhone goes on sale THIS WEEKEND!"

or

2. "The iPhone is going on sale right now!"

Either statement would be one heck of a way to end a Keynote...
  • Reply 4 of 93
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Nah, I reckon he'll get the iPhone release date out of the way at the begining and leave something like a new iMac or maybe Mac Book Pro Mini for the "one more thing"...

Everyone expects a release date for the iPhone by then, so I don't think it'll surprise anyone.
  • Reply 5 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajhill View Post

The HUGE day for Apple this month is obviously on iPhone day. But look for Steve Jobs to announce the release date on Monday the 11th at his WWDC keynote speech. The Famous "One more thing..."

1. He will announce a release date of the iPhone release as "The iPhone goes on sale THIS WEEKEND!"

or

Maybe they'll sell them right there and then like bags of peanuts at a baseball game.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

or

I doubt this will happen. AT&T won't finish training its employees until the 20th. So any prior date would seem suspect. Also, until Apple opens the iPhone to third party development, there is little reason for any such mention of the device at a once-annual Mac developers conference. From what I've heard, Jobs is pretty gung-ho about Leopard. He's gonna focus on the Mac and let iPhone have its day a bit later in the month.

Best,

K
  • Reply 7 of 93
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

People will be going nuts come "i-Day"... It'll be like a movie premiere...

No sir. Movie premiers will hereafter be like the iPhone premier.

Quote:

or

I'm not smelling a OMT man. He hasn't really used that in a while, has he? Definitely hasn't used the OMT EVENT for a long time. I think I remember someone saying that OMT only comes at Macworld, and I don't THINK he did it at all this year. hmmmm.....
  • Reply 8 of 93
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:

or

No way will he put it on sale right at the end of the Keynote because that would be extremely rude to all of the conference attendees who paid to attend the workshops, etc and then would not be able to get in line for the iPhone.

I think the launch will be a separate event between Apple and "Cingular is now AT&T" on a different day, but I do think he may announce the date at WWDC.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    I would buy it online if I was going to get one. Even then, you may not be able to get it right away. It seems like this will be similar to a Christmas PlayStation release.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think we will have warning about the iPhone release. Apple may a pretty good hold on their retail employees but there is no way that a shipment of iPhones to AT&T Mobility stores will not hit the web without fervent intensity.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "it has been reported that most AT&T/Cingular locations will have less than 40 units"

I don't think there has been any such "report" that that the locations "will" have less than 40. There are only rumors based on guesswork by Cingular people who admit they aren't in the loop.
  • Reply 12 of 93
    coffeetimecoffeetime Posts: 116member
    I plan on going to my local Apple store to pick up my iPhone. I actually hope there is a huge line; I've been to several Apple Store openings, and a big line turns it into a fun event for us Apple faithful. Maybe Apple can steal the concept of Microsoft's "iPod amnesty bin", and use it to collect all of the phones that people turn in when they switch to the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

Maybe Apple can steal the concept of Microsoft's "iPod amnesty bin", and use it to collect all of the phones that people turn in when they switch to the iPhone.

That is a good idea.
  • Reply 14 of 93
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Clever move Jobs!
  • Reply 15 of 93
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    ....what if nobody gave a diddly squat about the iphone.....?
  • Reply 16 of 93
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I doubt this will happen. AT&T won't finish training its employees until the 20th. So any prior date would seem suspect. Also, until Apple opens the iPhone to third party development, there is little reason for any such mention of the device at a once-annual Mac developers conference. From what I've heard, Jobs is pretty gung-ho about Leopard. He's gonna focus on the Mac and let iPhone have its day a bit later in the month.

Best,

K

It's got to be the end of the month. Apple is doing all the Customer support for the product, they start people on June 4th with training.. for 3 weeks .. Then they will be able to sell and support the phone...
  • Reply 17 of 93
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

....what if nobody gave a diddly squat about the iphone.....?

I think Jobs is trying to say that demand will be high, not low--which is clearly a good prediction
  • Reply 18 of 93
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apparently, Jobs is unaware that the secret is out. Even so, it has been reported that most AT&T/Cingular locations will have less than 40 units on hand come roll-out, placing the notion of any such advantage by those stores into question.

I dunno...

Given it takes at least 20 to 30 minutes to sign up a new customer if not more (not re-sign an existing)

Given an average store will have what 2 or maybe 3 reps.

At full speed what does that come to...

Three signups @ 20 min per comes to 1 hour times 3 reps thats what 9 phones per hour for say 8 hours straight thats what 72 potential iPhone sales. Oh and that's not taking into account the idea that someone might actually want to see a DEMO of the phone prior to plunking down 500 on it..... also, thats if everyone that comes in that day choses to put out the cash for an iPhone (and it would be safe to say that some percentage of the customers will NOT opt for the iPhone - believe it or not .lol.).I'd be willing to be at around 20-40 iPhones per store is going to be more than enough inventory for the first few days...

It was said (I think) that the iPhone would be available at launch at some 2000 Apple/Cingular stores. If we count on an average of 30 phones per store on launch day that comes out to what 60,000 phones. If the iPhone sells 60k phones in a single day that would be beyond amazing (I would think).
  • Reply 19 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I think Jobs is trying to say that demand will be high, not low--which is clearly a good prediction

And as Ireland points out, it's a clever move on Job's part to make this announcement.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Best,

K

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And as Ireland points out, it's a clever move on Job's part to make this announcement.

you think apple and jobs would make the same mistake as Sony and shorting a product I could see them not say anything till that day like they due for every other product.. .. I can see them taking there time to sign people up but they will also be selling over the phone..